driver side window replacement (manual crank)

driver side window replacement (manual crank)

Postby Naude [OP] » January 15th 2012, 10:35pm

Went to the junk yard today and beat the hell out of a junk van to get the glass.. My window was smashed by some disgruntled fellow or perhaps a salt truck a couple days ago.. Obviously I won't be able to beat the hell out of my own door to get the glass in...... anyone have any tips or tricks to installing the window track on the crank? (and just getting it in there in general)
Original Poster [OP]
Naude
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Naude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD 131k

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: driver side window replacement (manual crank)

Postby chevymaher » January 16th 2012, 12:33am

I did the window motor on my dads firebird which required removing the track to cut off the factory pop rivets.Take a deep breath it a trying pain.Get some 1X3's furring strips for inside the door to prop the window up.It hard to hold it up while you got both hands inside the door.It will break if it falls and hits right.window half way up was where I finally got everything lined up to assemble.holes in the inside of the door matching where your hands need to be etc.I also had some roll cage foam jammed in between the window and the metal of the door to make it safe from scratching and it does hold it somewhat in place.Good luck I don't envy your job you have to do.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Naude [OP] » January 16th 2012, 11:09pm

Thanks for the tips! However.. I am unable to even get the window in the door at all.. not even at an angle.. I don't want to take off the rubber pieces that line the frame because I fear I will be unable to get them back in..
Original Poster [OP]
Naude
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Naude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full yearsNaude has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD 131k

Postby acgcarpentry » January 10th 2013, 2:47am

I have now come up with this same exact problem. Ill start out by saying, my passenger side window had issues with it a few years ago. The track that the window sets in was rotted/ rusted to f*^$ and the window/track/rotted/rusted to f*^$ thing would slide off from the little glider wheels. This causing the window to fall into my door. I had to take the panel off from the passenger side and find out what the problem was. Ok, not a big deal ill just buy a new track piece from the junk yard. Upon taking the one off the van found in the junk yard, the glass, rubber, and track did come off pretty hard. I have yet to this day been able to put the entire window back together with the rubber piece with the window in it like it is supposed to be. So, now I have the window setting in the track, with duct tape holding it there. Yes you have to push it down or you have to pull the panel off and place the glass back into the track and secure the duct tape. Trust me, I have done this way to many times to even care about the tape anymore. While I was placing the window in the track "one time" I had actually thought to myself. ""SELF" "what if this window was to ever break because of the rattling when the door is closed, how would I ever get a window back into it???""" It seems to have way to many cross sections to even be able to take it out from where you are to remove the panel.

This is my Question

Ok so anyway after knowing this about the passenger side window and never having a problem with my driver side window, today, my driver side window shattered by the door being closed. Have you figured out how to get the glass in a easy way???? Or maybe even a hard way if it works would also help?? lmao.

So anyway this all happened after I have had a very hard 3 weeks with my van. I had been running diluted 50/50 for most of the summer. Flushed the system and left the water in it until I was able to get antifreeze to replace the water with. Had the antifreeze just didn't have the time to remove and replace before it froze in there a few nights later. It was frozen solid for 3 weeks until a friend was able to get me a salamander space heater. I had the thing thawing out for 6 hrs and finally it was able to start. While it sat I never got tires on it so tried that this am. No luck. So I went to look for a customers house, I ended up off the road and when I got out of the van and shut the door the window blew out. Talk about bad luck happening over and over, MAN!!!!
acgcarpentry
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: acgcarpentry has been a member for 8 full yearsacgcarpentry has been a member for 8 full yearsacgcarpentry has been a member for 8 full yearsacgcarpentry has been a member for 8 full yearsacgcarpentry has been a member for 8 full yearsacgcarpentry has been a member for 8 full yearsacgcarpentry has been a member for 8 full yearsacgcarpentry has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): Aaron
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 289000 miles

Postby RECox286 » January 10th 2013, 3:31am

The "wipers"... Inside comes off with the interior trim panel. Outer comes off by simply pulling it up wards off the outer door skin.

This gives you room enough to slip the glass and lower regulator track into the door. You're on yer own trying to do a three handed

job of holding, aligning, and getting both rollers in that track, and the one that goes in the upper track all at the same time, but

it is doable. I know, b/c I've done it more than once, and all by my lonesome. Frustrating, and definitely cause for @#$%^ words !

Don't be scotch with the can of window grease.

Uncle Bob

Let us know how you make out.
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]