Back door handle - compatible with old versions

Back door handle - compatible with old versions

Postby woodhaven22 [OP] » November 5th 2008, 12:48am

Hello

I have an 2001 Astro AWD van, which the back door handle broke today. I went to the local wrecker and found a couple but they are from older van's and not astros.

The vans range from 1993 to 1999 and include safarivans and vans with dutch doors.

Can someone tell me if these are compatible with my van type.

Also my drivers door automatic locks don't work, can I use these models to also replace this part.

Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
woodhaven22
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: woodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full yearswoodhaven22 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 34
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Dutch door handle part number?
    by Coyotecamper » September 7th 2020, 4:53am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by Coyotecamper View the latest post
    September 7th 2020, 8:15pm
  • 2000 Astro Exterior Door Handle Assembly etc
    by ASTROMATT0630 » February 24th 2021, 4:06pm in Exterior
    3 Replies
    Last post by ASTROMATT0630 View the latest post
    March 1st 2021, 1:11pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 3rd 2021, 4:47pm

Re: Back door handle - compatible with old versions

Postby Matrixx » November 5th 2008, 3:58am

Hi woodhaven22
I would stay with the New Style versions which started in 1996. Their basically the same but try to get as close to your year as possible. You didn't mention if you had Barn doors or Dutch ones. Either way, just match the latch up to the door you have, if it's Barn doors then get the handle from a Barn door vehicle, It won't fit on a Dutch door. Hope this helps. :)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Re: Back door handle - compatible with old versions

Postby 95AstroLT » May 18th 2014, 4:12am

Bought a handle today at the junkyard for our 1997 Safari with barn doors. So many Astros and Safaris were missing handles - must be a common failure. (Ours worked, but cracked from slamming the door. It won't shut completely unless you close it quite forcefully!)
Anyway, because of scarcity I ended up getting one from a 1st generation Astro. It is constructed just a little differently from the 1997 but works fine. The only difference that might slow you down is where the unlatch rod attaches: the old style has a metal retaining clip and the newer has a plastic insert. The size of the hole the rod goes into is different, newer having the larger opening to accommodate the plastic insert, so if you get an old one be sure to save the metal clip - you will need it. (Or you could drill out the hole to the proper size for the plastic insert, but that wouldn't be my first choice.)
The one I bought came off a barn door van. However, I later found a newer Dutch door van and checked out its handle just to see if it looked similar to the one I bought. It appeared to be the same as our van has. (Didn't buy it because one mounting nuts was rusted so badly the flats were gone making it more trouble than it was worth to remove.) Also, I recall looking up parts for sale and sellers say all the rear handles are the same, Dutch or barn doors.
So while my experience at replacing the handle indicates they're all the same, you might want to double check by what you find new replacement part applications to say. Or ask the people at the yard. If they advise you incorrectly, they "should" take it back. Fortunately it's real easy to replace - 5 to 10 minutes. One of the few things that isn't a real pain on a van!
1995 Astro LT 303,000 miles
1997 Safari SLE 207,000 mi
Other cars: 67 GTO, 72 Grand Prix, 79 Catalina, 94 Olds 88 LSS
95AstroLT
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years95AstroLT has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Bill B
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT