barn door "door checks"; also sliding door sticking

barn door "door checks"; also sliding door sticking

Postby Coaster [OP] » February 27th 2013, 12:51am

95 astro barn doors. door checks are there and hooked up, and appear functional but wont hold the doors open even in zero wind. something is just worn out about them.

i've been waiting for some time to take them out and see if i can fix them, or am i better of replacing them with new parts?

yesterday i spent a few hours taking the sliding door apart and repairing the outside handle (which was horribly loose). the sliding door also seems to be sticking to the weatherstripping for some reason that i cant figure out, been thinking of putting some silcone spray on the ruber or something, any ideas?
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 113
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Sliding Door Parts
    by junkylogic » August 4th 2020, 11:02pm in Exterior
    4 Replies
    Last post by gavio View the latest post
    August 5th 2020, 2:37pm
  • sliding door wont open
    by DaHonu » August 10th 2020, 6:05pm in Exterior
    6 Replies
    Last post by DaHonu View the latest post
    August 11th 2020, 9:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 4:25pm

Re: barn door "door checks"; also sliding door sticking

Postby chevymaher » February 27th 2013, 12:56am

One of my barn doors loose as a goose. One is Steve austin man barely alive. I keep 2 little pieces of 2X4 to put in the door for loading. Works perfect holding them open.
There is a little pain in the rear part you will never find that is worn out. That holds the door open.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby RECox286 » February 27th 2013, 1:03am

I use a piece of 1/2" pvc conduit, cut to a length that will hold the doors open, and inserted just aft of the overhead

latches. The "lanyards" that GM uses for the doors of all their vans, uh, er, ah, suck.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby icebrrg3rd » February 27th 2013, 3:23pm

I did find a set at the junkyard that still work good, as long as you're on fairly level ground and the wind isn't too strong. I do use the 2x4 method just as a backup to prevent the door from shutting. Yeah, they aren't that well designed nor long lasting.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Ragenme » February 27th 2013, 3:48pm

I have the same issue. I have the kids hold the door while I unload. I just know one day they aren't going to be there to hold open anymore. Guess I should get some wood out of the shop!
ragenme If you can't fix it with a hammer then its probably a electrical problem!
Ragenme
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ragenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Ragenme
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: SLX 4.3 V6 RWD

Postby RECox286 » February 27th 2013, 6:36pm

BTW, If you haven't noticed, all of our brothers and sisters who own Astro/Safari and G body vans have an unmistakable

trade mark (similar to a tattoo). That would be a very sore black and blue spot on their back from forgetting to park the

truck in a nose uphill position when getting something out of the back of the truck. Wanna learn the secrete handshake ???

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby RECox286 » February 27th 2013, 9:07pm

In re: sliding door.

Use shop air to clean as much dirt and other accumulated gunk out of the workings, then I use a garden hose to finish the job

in the lower and middle tracks. When dry, and with the help of shop air to get the job done, it is time for fresh lubricant.

I like the spray cans of CRC or the like to wet down the rollers, latches and door handles b/c it will dry, leaving a semi

lubricated surface that won't attract as much dirt as a white grease will. Clean, and lubricated parts is the rabbit in the

hat as far as all the hinges, latches and handles are concerned, including the bonnet, fuel door, rear doors, slider and

front passenger doors. At least it seems that the (crumby) door handles last a lot longer if everything gets a treatment

along with oil/filter change and greasejob intervals. (5k mi or so.) Sticking gasket: Remove the gasket from its' sheet

metal, but do not unhook it from the bottom roller of the sliding door. Carefully wash the entire length of the gasket

and the mating surfaces of the sliding door with warm water with something gentle like diswashing liquid. (just enough

to make a soapy solution. Allow everything to dry, and treat the gasket with a product that is gentle

to foam rubber, ie; plain GOJO (no grit), Armor All, or silicone spray. Reinstall the gasket when done, and try the door.

If there is still a problem, then the rear middle bracket is not springing out forcefully enough, and there may be an alignment

problem or other worn parts as the cause.

Good hunting

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby GMGuy » March 10th 2014, 5:03pm

I might add best thing to use on door seals to keep them fresh....Glycerin.....its what GM actually recommends in for use as well
GMGuy
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: GMGuy has been a member for 6 full yearsGMGuy has been a member for 6 full yearsGMGuy has been a member for 6 full yearsGMGuy has been a member for 6 full yearsGMGuy has been a member for 6 full yearsGMGuy has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: SLE RWD Barn Doors

Postby Coaster [OP] » March 10th 2014, 7:28pm

thanks. where do i get glycerin?

i have a more pressing issue right now in that the lower drivers door hinge is failed. i need to replace the door which is badly tweaked. hopefully this summer i can get to all these things
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Coaster [OP] » September 28th 2014, 4:39am

i bought a lift strut and did some experimenting with the barn door. i got sick of the door hitting me when i unloaded. this project is in its infancy so bear with me, the video has the strut clamped inside the door and the clamp falls off at the end of the vid.

but IT WORKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... a05dnH9zGI

I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » September 28th 2014, 1:58pm

Coaster wrote:i bought a lift strut and did some experimenting with the barn door. i got sick of the door hitting me when i unloaded. this project is in its infancy so bear with me, the video has the strut clamped inside the door and the clamp falls off at the end of the vid.

but IT WORKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... a05dnH9zGI

Blobs of black with some blue stuff.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Coaster [OP] » September 28th 2014, 10:41pm

worked on it some more today

i have more work to do but it works.

i may need to adjust where this ball pivot lives. seems like it needs to move away from the body about 1/2"

attached to the door frame

tried to get a better vid, but its not great. i like the door now!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... QhrBS9S5o8

I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulbot » September 30th 2014, 2:49am

My back doors wore out some years ago, went to the dealer and bought a set of everything for the catches, both doors, for $117. Still working, too.
paulbot
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: paulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full yearspaulbot has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby The Drummer » September 30th 2014, 5:17am

kleen slip from kleen-flo is very good on weatherstriping , prevents sticking and drying etc , works very good to keep from sticking under hailing and when it rains and then temp drops below zero ,i apply it a few times during the winter , and yep whomever designed the piece o crap thats suppose to keep them doors open deserves a good slap behind the head :whack: :rockon:
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD