dutch doors stuck

dutch doors stuck

Postby markmitch [OP] » March 17th 2013, 8:54pm

I am buying the complete dutch door set up off a 97 Astro van to install on my 89 BUT the doors are stuck shut and I know why but no idea as to how to get them open. The left door is closed fully but the right door is partially closed and the hatch is fully closed so I attempted to lightly push the right door closed but it won't close and that is why the hatch is stuck. Any ideas on getting the doors open so I can take them apart and off?
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 98 astro cargo rear barn door stuck
    by StillSmiling » January 22nd 2021, 5:09am in Exterior
    3 Replies
    Last post by CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! View the latest post
    January 23rd 2021, 6:24pm
  • Dutch door handle part number?
    by Coyotecamper » September 7th 2020, 4:53am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by Coyotecamper View the latest post
    September 7th 2020, 8:15pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 3rd 2021, 3:59pm

Re: dutch doors stuck

Postby RECox286 » March 17th 2013, 9:24pm

To open the hatch, remove the pull handle ( inside, bottom, center of the hatch) and the cover plate, reach in to the

bellcrank and move it to the OPEN position by hand. This should release the two latches, one on either side of the

hatch/jamb. Doesn't the hatch release button up front work ? Is the fuse good ? Do the cabin lights illuminate ?

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby thegreenmachine » March 17th 2013, 9:28pm

gotta get the hatch open first. if you pull the grab handle off, and a few screws holding the trim on the hatch, youll be able to manually access the switch, there is a connecting rod that goes to each side, if you can get the latches to move, you should be able to pop the hatch.

I don't know if you can do it with the hatch closed. and you might have to pull the panels off the lower doors to manually pull the latches.

I hear its cold there, so keep warm and have fun!
"that looks legit"

03 4WD Astro 6" lift NP233 4x4 t-case 245/75/16 ets trail master mud tires
95 AWD Safari money pit
99 AWD Safari crashed and crushed
97 Safari Cargo sold 447,000km
thegreenmachine
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: thegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA): Shane a lane
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: Lifted 4x4 233 tcase

Postby thegreenmachine » March 17th 2013, 9:28pm

REcox289, was too fast for me.....lol
"that looks legit"

03 4WD Astro 6" lift NP233 4x4 t-case 245/75/16 ets trail master mud tires
95 AWD Safari money pit
99 AWD Safari crashed and crushed
97 Safari Cargo sold 447,000km
thegreenmachine
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: thegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA): Shane a lane
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: Lifted 4x4 233 tcase

Postby markmitch [OP] » March 17th 2013, 9:36pm

its in a salvage yard so no power but I will try to open the hatch by what you guys said.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby RECox286 » March 18th 2013, 12:43am

If you have a power pack or a spare battery and cables , and can get the bonnet open, carefully hook

up to the battery, or the cables of the JY truck, then push the button on the dash for the hatch to unlatch.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby DRZ » March 18th 2013, 1:16am

Yeah right, if one of the bottom doors isn't shut there will be too much pressure on the top door for the electrics to move the linkage anyway. Go with what the guy said about removing enough trim pieces from the inside to manually release the hatch. When I made the manual actuator on my Y2K it worked way easy until I put in all the proper rubber grommets and rubber strips and now I have to pull in on the hatch to use the manual setup with the real short lever I used. If you can pull the interior trim piece back a bit you will have all the leverage you need.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys