Door wont open

Door wont open

Postby TRICKORMATE [OP] » February 19th 2009, 2:09pm

I have a 2000 Safari and it did this once when it was real cold, then out of the blue the door to function just fine.

My Passenger door won't open, Nothing is loose on handle, you can still fill it is connected to the mechanism inside the door. How am i ever going to get the passenger door to open?

The van does have the electrical door locks etc. everything seems to function right.

Please let me know if you have ran into this or what I can do to get the door to open. :screaming:

Kind Regard,
Original Poster [OP]
TRICKORMATE
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: TRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rear bottom door wont open
    by Diablo_deth » January 2nd 2021, 7:42am in Exterior
    1 Replies
    Last post by Rod's Trucks View the latest post
    January 2nd 2021, 8:23am
  • Dutch door handle part number?
    by Coyotecamper » September 7th 2020, 4:53am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by Coyotecamper View the latest post
    September 7th 2020, 8:15pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 7th 2021, 12:13pm

Re: Door wont open

Postby Matrixx » February 21st 2009, 9:51am

Hi TRICKORMATE

If you have tried both the inside and outside door handles to open and tried both the inside and outside lock switches to unlock it, then the only thing I can think of at this point is to open part of the inside panel enough to reach up inside their to see if you can unlock from that point. Just a thought. :)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby johntheripper » March 9th 2009, 7:46pm

I had the same problem before on my 86 you have to pull the door panel off if the door is shut you need to pull the linkage to open the door the problem with the door is there's a spring mechanism that resets the handle and latch to open and it gets stuck all you have to do is spray it down good with wd-40 and it will release and allow the door to reset the latch and handle you may have to wiggle the handle once or twice but it should free up
johntheripper
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: johntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full yearsjohntheripper has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby TRICKORMATE [OP] » March 9th 2009, 9:00pm

This weekend, I checked both handles inside and outside, they seem to still be working properly.. I'm not able to get the whole panel off due to the door being shut.

I was able to see the metal that is hooked to the inside door handle and as i pulled it, it was moving the metal back and forth. i did spray some wd-40 on the outside but didn't do it on the inside. i have pulled on both handles, have pushed on the door while pulling on the doors.

I may need to go buy some more wd-40 and spray it with the little straw it comes with..

my poor wife has to sit in the middle bench cuz she hates going back an forth, :banghead:
Original Poster [OP]
TRICKORMATE
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: TRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full yearsTRICKORMATE has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby TRICKORMATE [OP] » March 9th 2009, 9:02pm

Matrixx wrote:Hi TRICKORMATE

If you have tried both the inside and outside door handles to open and tried both the inside and outside lock switches to unlock it, then the only thing I can think of at this point is to open part of the inside panel enough to reach up inside their to see if you can unlock from that point. Just a thought. :)

My hands are to big cuz, it unlocks and all but just wont open, i'm wondering if the plastic deal that latches to the door got froze or something.
Original Poster [OP]
TRICKORMATE
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » March 10th 2009, 12:00am

Hi TRICKORMATE

Hmm, If you can get the window to roll all the way down, their is a gap which I use to spray the WD40 in their when I lubricate the inside of my door locks and latches.

If the power locks are only moving half of it's normal travel then it will seem unlocked but in actuality it isn't. Once you have managed to spray the WD40 inside the door, let it sit for awhile, then come back and cycle the power locks a few times. Once you have done that, then try to manually unlock the passenger side with the inside manual lock switch, maybe cycle the manual lock switch (lock-unlock) a few times as well.

It sounds like something is binding between the manual and electric switch. If I come across anything else I'll let you know. I haven't dealt with this particular problem at the shop, but this is the way I would be the way I would approach it if you can't get access from the inside panel.

I'm sure others will chime in if they can. Please keep us updated, thanks.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby TRICKORMATE [OP] » March 10th 2009, 2:49am

when you say to spray in the gap, are speaking of the gap the window leaves when it's down? if i spray in that gap won't i just spray the top part of the window since it's all the way down? do i spray towards the lock? I'll go back and try it again... so frustrating :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :screaming: :screaming: :screaming: :screaming: :screaming: :whack: :whack: :whack:
Original Poster [OP]
TRICKORMATE
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » March 11th 2009, 2:40am

Hi TRICKORMATE

Yes in the gap near the door pillar.
Yes it will spray part of the window,
Angle the spray tube towards the lock and then at the door latch inside the door, yes.

Hope this helps, please keep us updated, Thanks.:)
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby TRICKORMATE [OP] » March 11th 2009, 5:51am

i tried it and no luck, i think i need a grenade and blow the door open... lol.. I'll try again tomorrow.. stinking door needs to open..
Original Poster [OP]
TRICKORMATE
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » March 11th 2009, 12:21pm

Wow, still no go. Hmm, (MacGyver time) how about a coat hanger with a hook at the end of it? I'm sure it would fit in the gap of the window frame when the window is down.

Maybe you can hook onto the inside latch that way. It would need to be the heavy duty coat hanger though so it wouldn't bend as easy. Just a thought. If I find anything else out about this particular problem you have, I will let you. Please keep us updated, Thanks.:)
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby TRICKORMATE [OP] » March 15th 2009, 3:10pm

nothing with hanger, hooked up several straws to make it longer, sprayed with W-40 inside the door device through the top of the door gap and nothing.

I'm just going to have to take to a bodyshop and have them open it up.

Don't know what else to do.
Original Poster [OP]
TRICKORMATE
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby generaljake01 » March 15th 2009, 8:58pm

i may as well throw my :2: in...I had an 88 jimmy that would do that and it too was on the pass side...what i usually had to do to get it unlocked was hit unlock button wait a second or two hit again and do that 4 or 5 times in a row to get it to unlock. Between each time ya push unlock button DO NOT push lock button! Once ya get it open lube the heck outta it. I like to use PB penetrating oil...like magic juice... that was my miserable experience with a door not opening...
'87 LT with TBI 305/700r4 3.42s---94 S-10 shorty w 350/TH350
generaljake01
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: generaljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full yearsgeneraljake01 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA):

Postby TRICKORMATE [OP] » March 18th 2009, 5:40am

That didn't work. i think i should go trade it in LOL..
Original Poster [OP]
TRICKORMATE
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):