Replacing the door handles

Re: Replacing the door handles

Postby ed t » November 28th 2011, 12:31am

hello all,
i've been reading the posts here about changing the door handles and they've helped tremendously. i ordered the rock auto handle (budget) for the passenger door, drilled the extra hole for access and got it all back together without too much swearing or brusing. the only problem i'm still having is the rod for the handle doesn't stay in the hole when you pull the handle to open the door. anyone had this issue? suggestions? did i get the wrong version?
i've tried to bend a piece of wire around the plastic grommet in the door handle lever to tighten it down, but i can't get it tightened down...
i thought a zip tie might squeeze it down, but i need to try and find some slimmer ones.

thanks for the assistance
ed
'98 astro w/ gla-val conversion
ed t
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: ed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RV top

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • '99 Safari "Quality" Door Handles?
    by FGravity » May 15th 2020, 6:28pm in Exterior
    10 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    August 5th 2020, 11:58pm
  • Headlight cleaning and/or replacing
    by AstroOafAdventurerAstroOafAdventurer is online! » August 29th 2020, 6:37pm in Exterior
    11 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    October 23rd 2020, 8:55pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 5:43am

Postby RECox286 » November 28th 2011, 4:14am

The trick: Use a hole saw to make a hole on the top of the front door latch similar to the one on the bottom. You want to locate it so that it is everso slightly higher than

the latch itself. This new hole will allow access to the handles' top nut, so you won't be "nutless" in the future. Making the same size hole will allow you to use a

scrounged "cover or blank grommet" just like the one below the latch. A 10mm swivel socket (1/4" drive) does the trick for an easy on or off of the upper nut.

And of course the lower nut is accessible thru the existing bottom hole.

Keep on truck'n

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Jasen » November 28th 2011, 4:21am

I use a different technique, I remove the latch cassette. Remove the 3 screws, you can see the 2 at the bottom and just make out the top one. Drop the cassette out of the way and it's a straight shot to the top nut with a socket and extension.

I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby RECox286 » November 29th 2011, 5:12am

Any time I have tried to move the latch out of the way, the pull rods have held it in place. The rods can be even more difficult to remove than what work it is to

struggle the top nut while the latch is still in place. Not an impossible job, but if you drill a new hole it becomes so much easier to replace the door handle in the

present and also down the road when doing it again. You can have the correct sized hole saw and arbor for about $20. ( just make sure it is made to cut metal,

and not a cheapie) Who knows, you may find other uses for the new tool...especially you tradesmen out there.

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby ed t » December 4th 2011, 7:40pm

thanks for the replies to my post, i appreciate the feedback.
what i was wondering though, did you have a problem keeping the rod that attaches to the outside handle attached after you pull the handle to open the door?

ed
ed t
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: ed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full yearsed t has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » December 4th 2011, 9:36pm

Chevy has used two fastener types to attach the rods to the levers. A plastic grommet which wears out, as you are experiencing,

and a metal fastener which is near impossible to remove once the rod is in place. Unfortunately the plastic grommets no longer available anywhere except at the

JY, and the metal type, that will not interchange with the plastic type, because the lever is shaped and drilled differently. You do have a couple of choices: you can

remove the latch, and drill and reshape the lever to accept the newer metal fastener, or you can scour some older cars at the JY, or you can remove and modify the

rod to accept a small E-clip, or a very small cotter key (as used to be found on carburetors a very long time ago). Either, and, but, or; it becomes a chore more out of

necessity than from love, if you get my drift.

Good hunting, er, I mean scrounging and finagling...

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby ed t » December 4th 2011, 10:11pm

i kinda went to the JY... i still had the old handle and took the plastic grommet out of that and it seems to be working...(so far) if that doesnt stay, then i'll try the cotter pin route. it may be a little sloppy without the grommet there, but the pin plus a washer should work.
thanks again!
ed t
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » December 5th 2011, 3:07am

A tip to think about.

When ever you have the opportunity to scrounge in the JY, gather as many odd fasteners and attaching parts as you can safely swim with. Later,

when the need arises, you may find it was well worth the effort to "steal" a dollars' worth of 20-year-box items. I have two refrigerator trays full,

and am constantly finding 'just the ticket' to finish out the job with out too much frustration. The item I need most for my collection: plastic rod end bushings.

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby Sailing_Faith » August 10th 2012, 9:46pm

FWIW,

Just in the midst of changing the drivers side handle (about to drill the hole for the top nut)....

The white plastic 'grommet' that came with the new handle was not a very tight fit into the lever... the rod would easily pop out. I considered adding some filler between the grommet and the hole, but the old (OEM) grommet looked pretty good so I put it back in the new one. The fit was tight, actually felt a bit of a click when I put it in.

I will update this if I have any trouble with re-using it (hope not to).
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Previous