A little antenna help...

A little antenna help...

Postby TARDIS_1994 [OP] » August 10th 2012, 4:31pm

Hello all,

I wish I woulda found this site earlier in my travels. I am not mechanically inclined by nature, but I have to thank my Astro for teaching me about: water pumps, alternators, window motors, brakes, how to charge an AC system, door locks and mecs, and a 3 day tour of the muffer system (suffice to say OEM parts do not mean they actually fit, and the choice of paying GM $350 or O'Reily's $53).

While fixing the muffler, a sunscreen lofted over me to keep me cool also had the effect of putting too much strain on the antenna, which snapped off. A trip to Pick and Pull and I have a replacement, but it was exposed pretty well (no dash / vents, thanks whoever for wrecking it completely with a sledge...). I have no point of reference and Haynes has no info.

How the heck do I get to it without a major teardown of the dash? I know that the wire from the mount passes thru the firewall and it plugs into the lead going to the radio at a mount bracket behind the firewall. How the heck do I get to it? Any help would be appreciated.
Original Poster [OP]
TARDIS_1994
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: TARDIS_1994 has been a member for 8 full yearsTARDIS_1994 has been a member for 8 full yearsTARDIS_1994 has been a member for 8 full yearsTARDIS_1994 has been a member for 8 full yearsTARDIS_1994 has been a member for 8 full yearsTARDIS_1994 has been a member for 8 full yearsTARDIS_1994 has been a member for 8 full yearsTARDIS_1994 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD TBI Z

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Need help with bodymount replacements
    by hippovan » September 10th 2020, 11:28pm in Exterior
    0 Replies
    Last post by hippovan View the latest post
    September 10th 2020, 11:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 24th 2020, 10:06am

Re: A little antenna help...

Postby chevymaher » August 10th 2012, 4:42pm

I actually have no antenna on mine by choice. I used a single strand of copper wire. Soldered it to the antenna base. Ran it up the side of the window under the plastic window trim. Works great.

Choice B also easy. Advanced auto sells a in dash antenna with booster for custom stuff. My brother found it for his charger. He dont want the factory antenna. It is 15 bucks I think he said.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby icebrrg3rd » August 10th 2012, 5:14pm

I'm running w/o an antenna too, just gets in the way when you're scraping ice/snow off your windshield. Looks cleaner too.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby astro1957 » August 10th 2012, 5:31pm

Well,on a 1996 its showing to remove wiper arms,wiper cowl(air vent),and then under the cowl you'll see the attenna cable with a metal mount,remove the 2 bolts.You'll see that this is the cable entry point through the firewall,going through a rubber grommett.Now remove the radio,disconnect the attenna cable.
Now you have to loosen/remove the dash gauge cluster(instrument panel) which is probably the hardest part.You don't disconnect anything,just pull it back to access the attenna cable and UN-CLIP it from the HVAC control module.Now pull the cable back out through the firewall and cowl area.Unthread the attenna mast and pull it off.And that's it.Just reassemble in the reverse order.
These are what the GM manual say to do,should be correct.
1996 Astro - SMc by Archer Conversion-
A friend is not a fellar,who is taken in by sham.A friend is one who knows our faults,and doesn't give a dam.-J.P. McEvey
astro1957
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: astro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Lumpy » August 10th 2012, 6:25pm

If the antenna broke, it's likely that the coax cable connector is still intact and perhaps still connected to the base of the broken antenna. Remove the plastic cowl vent, it requires a T-15 Torx driver I think, then you should be able to reach the underside of the OEM antenna. Remove the thing in obvious fashion. Unscrew the antenna coaxial cable connector on the base of the old antenna, replace with new antenna, connect THAT new antenna to the existing coax cable.

All of that is assuming that your replacement antenna uses the same style connector as the OEM style. It's very likely that it does.

Or you could always mount a few new external antennas...

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby astro1957 » August 10th 2012, 6:45pm

Awesome Truck Mr.Lumpy.And your so right.Why go through all the OEM removal hassles when your simpler replacement is the way to do it!There you go,TARDIS_1994.
I forget to think "outside the box" sometimes.
1996 Astro - SMc by Archer Conversion-
A friend is not a fellar,who is taken in by sham.A friend is one who knows our faults,and doesn't give a dam.-J.P. McEvey
astro1957
Years of Membership: astro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full yearsastro1957 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD