Poor Windshield Washer Fluid Emitters

Poor Windshield Washer Fluid Emitters

Postby astroid [OP] » June 25th 2013, 2:50am

I replaced the emitters on my '99 with some that I salvaged from a wrecked van and they are just as bad. Chevrolet will only sell the whole wiper arm that those tiny emitters are snapped onto...what a joke at $75.

Is there an aftermarket emitter that I can mount on the hood?
Original Poster [OP]
astroid
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: astroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Relocate windshield spray nozzle to hood
    by kevinfin » November 24th 2020, 10:21pm in Exterior
    12 Replies
    Last post by MechBob View the latest post
    November 27th 2020, 1:18am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 20th 2021, 5:44pm

Re: Poor Windshield Washer Fluid Emitters

Postby RECox286 » June 25th 2013, 3:25am

What are you trying to accomplish ? More flow/volumn of fluid onto the w/s ? I have found the system to

be satisfactory the way it comes from the factory. None the less, why not try building your own spray

nozzles ? The only drawback is the larger the apperature the greater the flow, the less distance the fluid stream will

travel for any set pressure being produced by the pump. I would imagine that Chevy engineers were aware of this

when the system was first designed. Try this: Get the smallest drill bit you can find, (a numbered drill set might

be the ticket) or anything that might work to enlarge the apperature of the spray nozzle. I think you know where

I'm going, so I'll leave the field work to you. Let us know what you come up with. Good hunting.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby astroid [OP] » June 25th 2013, 3:24pm

They do not spray over the whole windshield like they did for the first 12 years of the van's life. I believe that I have tried reaming out the old units but I will try again as I have nothing to loose.

Thanks and I will report back...
Original Poster [OP]
astroid
Years of Membership: astroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full yearsastroid has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: RWD

Postby RECox286 » June 25th 2013, 10:17pm

Ocassionally I put shop air to the front of the system to blow out the dirt, cobwebbs and crow crap. It usually has the

desired effect, and is pretty cheap.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]