My Awning Project

My Awning Project

Postby grond [OP] » September 8th 2013, 3:09am

Well...I was so inspired by the "$30 Awning" post that I decided to tackle this project on my own and see if I could make it, not necessarily better, just simpler.

So, looking around the house I found some old adjustable tent poles from an old tent we longer use, some bolts from a leftover T-track project, some 550 Paracord and some tent stakes.

Here's the results:

awning1.jpeg

awning2.jpeg

Basically what I did was insert 5 of the T-Track bolts into the roof rack...not an easy thing. First, sprayed the rear roof rack cap bolts (say THAT 5 times fast!) about 3 times a day for 3 days. Put the torx bit in the first bolt...and it snapped the torx bit off!!! In the head of the bolt!!! So, plan "B"...I put a BIG flathead screwdriver in the track itself and put a little pressure on it and forced the T-Track bolt heads in the track...success! No damage to bolts or tracks! I used a fender washer and nut to loosely hold the T-Track bolts in place while I got them aligned to the grommet holes in the tarp. Once the bolts were lined up, I tighened them up to keep them in place. Then place the grommet holes over the bolts and used the screw handles to keep the tarp attached to the rack.

After that it was jsut a matter of putting the poles through the grommet on the other end of the tarp, pulling them taught with the guy lines (made out of the 550 Paracord).

Then, when it's all taken down, it rolls up on a nice, neat bundle with everything stored inside the tarp:

awning3.jpeg

Tomorrow I'll upload pictures of the bolts, assembled in the track to give a better idea of what I'm talking about.

What do you think?
Original Poster [OP]
grond
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: grond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 33
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 AWD 120K

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Hooray for an awning
    by bradaskins » July 11th 2020, 12:11am in Exterior
    16 Replies
    Last post by Wiley View the latest post
    July 20th 2020, 10:52pm
  • Wipers dead on my 95.
    by Roadtrip John » May 30th 2020, 3:09pm in Exterior
    9 Replies
    Last post by Big_kid View the latest post
    June 1st 2020, 3:55am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 29th 2020, 5:26pm

Re: My Awning Project

Postby Sailing_Faith » September 8th 2013, 5:04am

:rockon: very cool,

I just got to California after 10 days on the road, all but one night spent camping in the van.

I can tell you that having the awning up makes a world of difference if it rains.... Looks like a great way to "skin that cat".

Great job!
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Postby grond [OP] » September 8th 2013, 3:44pm

Thanks Sailing_Faith!

I gotta tell you, I can't wait to use the awning in a couple of weeks when I go salmon fishing.

I can see that I may have to do a little pole modification...but other than that, even my wife was impressed!

:dance:
Original Poster [OP]
grond
Years of Membership: grond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby sturoc » September 8th 2013, 4:38pm

Since I have no roof rack system I want to mount several 'Bolt Hangers', which are used for rock climbing anchors, so i can just clip with carabiners any size tarp I need. problem is my 89 Astro cargo van's interior is fully carpeted head to toe and wall to wall. I can't determine where the roof braces are in order to drill and bolt thru to mount these hangers.
Any ideas ?
Attachments
bolthangerlg.jpg
bolthangerlg.jpg (7.04 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
DSCF1647.JPG
For now I'm doing this, but unfortunately I can't bring a tree with me where ever i go !
'89 Astro Van cargo, 4.3 tbi, Auto trans rwd
sturoc
Years of Membership: sturoc has been a member for 9 full yearssturoc has been a member for 9 full yearssturoc has been a member for 9 full yearssturoc has been a member for 9 full yearssturoc has been a member for 9 full yearssturoc has been a member for 9 full yearssturoc has been a member for 9 full yearssturoc has been a member for 9 full yearssturoc has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: Cargo 4.3 Auto rwd

Postby chevymaher » September 8th 2013, 4:44pm

I am so impressed with this I googled it and am window shopping awnings. For fishing and camping.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Sailing_Faith » September 8th 2013, 5:07pm

chevymaher wrote:I am so impressed with this I googled it and am window shopping awnings. For fishing and camping.

I can tell you it makes a huge difference in comfort! Well worth the cost and set up time.

Mine covers the front door too which is nice to be able to keep therain out with the door open.

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30873

-------

Sturoc,

One thing I found is that a few places I set up were either on pavement, or really rocky hard ground. You might add a few bags you can fill with sand or rocks so you will be able to weight your support lines when you can not stake them out.

Cover looks great, hope you enjoy it!
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Postby 97cargocrawler » September 8th 2013, 5:26pm

sturoc wrote:Since I have no roof rack system I want to mount several 'Bolt Hangers', which are used for rock climbing anchors, so i can just clip with carabiners any size tarp I need. problem is my 89 Astro cargo van's interior is fully carpeted head to toe and wall to wall. I can't determine where the roof braces are in order to drill and bolt thru to mount these hangers.
Any ideas ?

I have some ideas. But even those genius ideas wont save you from crushing in your roof when you tighten the bolts down. There will be a 1/8" to 1/2" gap (it varies) between the roof sheet metal and the cross braces. The gap if filled with foam and it will squish. To do what you're proposing requires removal of the headliner so you can slide some sort of spacer into that gap.

For something like this, just holding a tarp etc. using rivnuts and just anchoring into the sheet metal would be easiest. Though I wouldn't do that. It's kinda half-ass and opens up potential to tweak the roof and create leaks.

Perhaps some sort of rubber coated super magnet is the way to go. Or suction cups.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby grond [OP] » September 8th 2013, 9:43pm

chevymaher wrote:I am so impressed with this I googled it and am window shopping awnings. For fishing and camping.

I did the same thing, hoping to find some kind of retrible awning I could mount on the roof rack. But after doing some research on this site (on the roof rack) I decided to tackle it myself. While my awning design does not cover the front door completely, I think I could get it to bu simply adding T-rail extensions to the roof rack.

Maybe that'll be my next awning project. :D
Original Poster [OP]
grond
Alias (AKA):