Air Shocks and Trunk Locks!!!

Air Shocks and Trunk Locks!!!

Postby herbal_gardens [OP] » March 3rd 2008, 3:46am

Hi my 97 Astro has (dutch) doors I think (not sure) but its a 3 door system... anyways my hatch wont stay latched anymore, I can close it and one side will catch and the other wont. After I drive it around 5 miles or so Ill check it and the latched side will be popped again. The gas shocks are shot, (how I wish the still worked) & Ive read that that is where the solenoid resides for the hatch release and I was wondering if this could be causing the issue

Also One of the lower doors has either seized up, or has mechanical issues and wont open (its the first door in closing sequence) how would I go about the repair
thanks, chris
Original Poster [OP]
herbal_gardens
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: herbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • the bar and the catch for the lock system...
    by GPSTwood » October 1st 2020, 12:43am in Exterior
    1 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    October 1st 2020, 2:33am
  • Roof tent and awning
    by WinterisComing » December 22nd 2020, 11:14pm in Exterior
    2 Replies
    Last post by SlowRider View the latest post
    December 23rd 2020, 2:53am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 4:53am

Re: Air Shocks and Trunk Locks!!!

Postby moneyvango » May 23rd 2008, 3:56am

This probably won't help you but I'll post it regardless.I have the same problem with my 97 Safari.The rear hatch would not stay closed on the passengers' side.I wound up buying a locking hasp assembly from Home Depot for about$8.99. This would be used for a storage closet or maybe in a kid's room.I just attached one end to the rear hatch and the other half to the passengers' side rear door.Not much on pretty, but it serves the purpose.I did buy two lift supports at about $23 a side.As far as the stuck drivers side rear door goes,this is what I did (prepare to laugh).I tugged on the handle until the darn thing broke in about 4 pieces.After removing the inner door panel, I threw what was left of the hardware in the trash.Then I got a length (about 18 inches) of vinyl clothesline, knotted up one end so my baby finger would fit in the loop.I took the looped section and slid it over the "tab" at the base of the door. I then took a 9 in. length of fuel line and slipped it over the clothesline and then ran it through one of the holes where the door handle once attached.With the remaining 4 to 5 inches or so,I looped that around a battery terminal I had lying around and duct taped the monkey poop out of it.Pull up on it, the door opens.Close the door in the usual manner,and take that ugly taped "handle" and put it down the large hole where the REAL door handle used to be.It is then out of sight and the other door opens and closes in the usual manner.I had to replace the other side door handle, but I did that the right way. Parts cost $30 at a Chevy dealer.If this dosen't help you ,I hope you at least got a chuckle out of this!!
1997 Safari AWD, 378K miles / 1992 Camaro RS / 1965 Studebaker Daytona Sports Sedan
moneyvango
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: moneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): rsrookie

Re: Air Shocks and Trunk Locks!!!

Postby chops » May 23rd 2008, 11:56pm

ok first things first did you lube the piss out of the latches and see if they open and close? you will have to remove the doorpanel to lube the lathes and handle mech.
If your gonna street race dont be affraid to go to the left!
chops
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: chops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full yearschops has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA):