body cladding removal

body cladding removal

Postby Allmntrider [OP] » January 14th 2014, 4:25pm

I removed my cladding this weekend. There was nothing wrong with it,I just think it looked like my van received a Botox injection. I used a heat gun, razor blade, plastic putty knife ,and lacquer thinner. It took me longer to remove the adhesive then to do the lift. But it was totally worth the time to remove it. I also started the new bumper. when I get it done in the next few day's I'll post a picture and explain what I used and how I did it.
Original Poster [OP]
Allmntrider
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Allmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA): Explorer
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Lifted awd 3.73 g80

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: body cladding removal

Postby 97cargocrawler » January 14th 2014, 5:28pm

Sounds good....but we have to wait to see the bumper?!! I want to see it now, I'm popping some corn...
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Allmntrider [OP] » January 14th 2014, 6:03pm

In due time.I'm taking pictures as I go. Then I'll have the wife down load them for me. She takes care of the technological issues ,I'm in charge building cool stuff.
Original Poster [OP]
Allmntrider
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Allmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full yearsAllmntrider has been a member for 7 full years

Postby PMBSafari » January 16th 2014, 10:37pm

I am in the process of doing this right now.... The lift and shocks were definitely quicker. I used a heat gun, but if you aren't careful, the heat gun will do some damage.
What are y'all doing to coat the newly exposed areas? Ryno?
Thanks
PMB
PMBSafari
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: PMBSafari has been a member for 7 full yearsPMBSafari has been a member for 7 full yearsPMBSafari has been a member for 7 full yearsPMBSafari has been a member for 7 full yearsPMBSafari has been a member for 7 full yearsPMBSafari has been a member for 7 full yearsPMBSafari has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: V6 AWD.

Postby Allmntrider [OP] » January 17th 2014, 4:42am

My original intention was to use herculiner.I planned on shooting it on with my hvlp gun.But since I was very careful, and my paint is in great shape I'm just going to wax it real good. good luck with your endeavor.The bumpers getting closer but my bicycle has to be ridden.
Original Poster [OP]
Allmntrider
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby grond » February 11th 2014, 6:29pm

You gonna post these pictures any time soon? I wanna take my cladding off, but need a little "visual reference" to help me along. :)
grond
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: grond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full yearsgrond has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 33
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 AWD 120K

Postby thegreenmachine » February 11th 2014, 10:17pm

"that looks legit"

03 4WD Astro 6" lift NP233 4x4 t-case 245/75/16 ets trail master mud tires
95 AWD Safari money pit
99 AWD Safari crashed and crushed
97 Safari Cargo sold 447,000km
thegreenmachine
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: thegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA): Shane a lane
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: Lifted 4x4 233 tcase

Postby Allmntrider [OP] » February 11th 2014, 10:52pm

Nice passenger side shock. I had my drive side do the same thing about 35miles down a dirt road.look at the pictures on my profile. Most of the pictures are with the cladding. The most recent picture is with the brush guard. look at the side of the van no cladding. my burn break is over now. Gotta get back to burning some steel(welding up a rack for my buddies daughters Cherokee.). If you have any further questions about any procedure I used. Feel free to ask.
Original Poster [OP]
Allmntrider
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Allmntrider [OP] » February 11th 2014, 11:58pm

I went through my phone pictures of the cladding removal. They didn't turn out well .I have a non smart phone so my camera sucks. The only other camera I have access to is my wife's Nikon 3200. Being that I've ruined 5-6 cameras in the last few years on backpack trips in GCNP. I know not to use it without super vision. Besides if you saw the mess it made to save the paint underneath you wouldn't want to deal with it at all. The cladding was super easy. The adhesive on the other hand was lame.After lacquer thinner, wd40,a box opener, metal and plastic 1 inch putty knives, and about 4hrs of gentle scraping, spraying, and green brillo padding I got enough of the adhesive removed to not feel like a scumbag in parking lots. I originally planned on bed lining like green machines but the paint was so pristine I had to do the dirty deed of adhesive removal. If you do remove it you will need to get the fender trim from a donor van. My vans is white so I had a choice of 4 sets at the jy. Good luck if you go for it.
Original Poster [OP]
Allmntrider
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby kennysmoke » February 12th 2014, 12:07am

What color is your cladding? I was hit and run the day after Christmas and need the piece from behind drivers door to front of the rear wheel... mine is gold. If yours is gold as well would you consider selling it?
"Live Free Or Die" Image
kennysmoke
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): kennysmoke
Extra Info: AWD Tow Pakage

Postby Allmntrider [OP] » February 12th 2014, 12:35am

silver. If you can't find one in your area there are two gold Astros at the jy in my area. Not sure what year but I can look Thursday while I'm pulling a t-case for my conversion. I would gladly pull one and ship it to you for cost plus freight. I'm in northern Arizona. But astro's are so dime a dozen at the jy I'm sure one's closer to you.
Original Poster [OP]
Allmntrider
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby kennysmoke » February 12th 2014, 1:04am

I've been searching here with no luck so far... my van looked mint till the a-hole hit and ran me while I was in the store getting my lunch... I was in the store 5 mins tops and unfortunately the stores security cams didn't have that view. So the cladding is just held on with adhesive tape? I may take you up on your offer if I can't locate one here... I live near Buffalo NY... Thanks for the reply!
"Live Free Or Die" Image
kennysmoke
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): kennysmoke
Extra Info: AWD Tow Pakage

Postby Mathil » February 15th 2014, 6:32pm

I used a heat gun to make the cladding more pliable for ripping off. After that the double sided tape is still stuck there in all it's foamy glory. The trick for the adhesive is to use a striping remover. It's basically a big round disc eraser... A rubber compound that is safe for the paint. I chucked mine in a drill and ran the drill fairly slow with a goodly amount of pressure. It took about 15 minutes to get all the adhesive off. Final cleanup with some acetone (yes, it's safe on old paint) and done.

Here's a similar product to what I used... I used a 3M (money, money, money) version from my paint supplier.

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-4 ... 55-2389604
Mathil
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Mathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Bryan W.
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Allmntrider [OP] » February 17th 2014, 11:26pm

Glad to hear your endeavor went better then mine.I used a heat gun to remove the cladding also. It worked really good. I wish I had went and bought the 3m disc. But I had already made such a smeared mess with the lacquer and the closest paint store to my house is 20+miles. so I just kept at it with what I had in my shop. all and all Live and learn. I must remember to go buy this magic disc for the removal of the weirdo factory decal on my van the next time I'm out that way.
Original Poster [OP]
Allmntrider
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Mathil » February 18th 2014, 3:01am

Allmntrider wrote:Glad to hear your endeavor went better then mine.I used a heat gun to remove the cladding also. It worked really good. I wish I had went and bought the 3m disc. But I had already made such a smeared mess with the lacquer and the closest paint store to my house is 20+miles. so I just kept at it with what I had in my shop. all and all Live and learn. I must remember to go buy this magic disc for the removal of the weirdo factory decal on my van the next time I'm out that way.

I keep them handy, you never know when you'll have to remove some tacky striping or some business logo from a crusty old Astro... :screaming:

Best to keep them in a ziploc, away from dirty things though, as anything embedded will scratch the paint.
Mathil
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Mathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full yearsMathil has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Bryan W.
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD