Shim new hinge to fix driver's door alignment?

Shim new hinge to fix driver's door alignment?

Postby baytonemus [OP] » May 13th 2014, 5:48pm

The lower hinge on my driver's door was broken, so I pulled the door, removed the old hinge, and installed the GM bolt-on replacement hinge. The door is sagging a bit, however, so I'm trying to come up with a solution to realign it. There is some wiggle room provided by the oversized bolt holes in the new hinge, but it seems to me that I'm going to need to put a shim behind the new hinge.

I've never done any door adjustments, so I'd appreciate knowing if I'm on the right track or if I might be creating another set of problems by shimming. Thanks.
2000 GMC Safari SLE - AWD
Original Poster [OP]
baytonemus
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: baytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Safari Driver door year compatibility
    by demersn » June 2nd 2020, 12:35am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    June 7th 2020, 9:22pm
  • How do I get rid of an extra door?
    by Sklar » May 6th 2020, 9:49pm in Exterior
    1 Replies
    Last post by 90safari View the latest post
    May 6th 2020, 10:54pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 5:26am

Re: Shim new hinge to fix driver's door alignment?

Postby RECox286 » May 13th 2014, 7:14pm

Try this:

Open the door enough to be able to slide a 2x4x2' between the doorwell and the door bottom on the latch side. Slide another

piece of 1x scrap lumber on top of the 2x4 to pad the door bottom. Once you have the "lever and pad" all in alignment, carefully

lift the door forcing the hinges to bend the sheetmetal. (somewhat more forcefully, if at first you don't succede) Check the

alignment of the door to the body and how the latch aligns with the bolt as you close the door. Don't over stress the sheet metal.

You may want to check the top hinge for worn bushings and pin by opening the door, grabbing the bottom of the door and raising

the latch side of the door and letting it drop (an easy rocking motion) as you watch the top hinge for looseness. Repair the top

hinge if necessary before trying to "lever" the door into alignment. As you will note, Chevy didn't make door hardware to outlast the

rest of the truck, but we still love the beasts in spite of their faults !

Keep on Truck'n

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby chevymaher » May 14th 2014, 12:25am

Washers between the lower hinge and door. I used to do it to camaros works like a champ.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Big_kid » May 14th 2014, 1:47am

Ugh... camaro hinges. thanks for THAT flashback! (but I once found an almost new set in a firebird at a junk yard)
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby chevymaher » May 14th 2014, 1:51am

Big_kid wrote:Ugh... camaro hinges. thanks for THAT flashback! (but I once found an almost new set in a firebird at a junk yard)

yep longest door ever made besides the old monte's. And women seemed to think they were a chair when it was open.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Astrofarian » May 15th 2014, 1:05am

chevymaher wrote:
Big_kid wrote:Ugh... camaro hinges. thanks for THAT flashback! (but I once found an almost new set in a firebird at a junk yard)

yep longest door ever made besides the old monte's. And women seemed to think they were a chair when it was open.

And how about the snort & grunt session that followed the first (and hopefully ONLY time) you unbolted one of these doors by yourself @ 12:30 a.m. and tried to GENTLY ease it onto the creeper without dropping it? :rofl: :banana: :rofl:
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby chevymaher » May 15th 2014, 1:10am

2 jackstands under it when you unbolt it.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby baytonemus [OP] » May 15th 2014, 4:04pm

If you shim with washers there is obviously a gap created where water and debris can collect. Would you normally seal the edges then? Also, with the hinge kind of floating in that way and maybe flexing a bit, will the sealant stay in place?
2000 GMC Safari SLE - AWD
Original Poster [OP]
baytonemus
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: baytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full yearsbaytonemus has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Casey » May 17th 2014, 3:33pm

baytonemus wrote: There is some wiggle room provided by the oversized bolt holes in the new hinge, but it seems to me that I'm going to need to put a shim behind the new hinge.

I've never done any door adjustments, so I'd appreciate knowing if I'm on the right track or if I might be creating another set of problems by shimming. Thanks.

There should be enough room in the factory hinge holes to allow for proper adjustment, provided the front fender, door, and body were never tweaked in an accident. The in-out adjustment is made on the door half of the hinge, so I would suggest slightly enlarging the adjustment holes instead if adding a shim(!). You want the hinge halves bolted tightly to the body structure and/or door shell, and using a shim is going to make the bolt the load bearer in that situation. :naughty:

Door adjusting is neither fun nor easy, so get a friend to help. If you can rent (or have) and engine hoist, put it to good use to support the door while you make the adjustments.
Casey
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Casey has been a member for 11 full yearsCasey has been a member for 11 full yearsCasey has been a member for 11 full yearsCasey has been a member for 11 full yearsCasey has been a member for 11 full yearsCasey has been a member for 11 full yearsCasey has been a member for 11 full yearsCasey has been a member for 11 full yearsCasey has been a member for 11 full yearsCasey has been a member for 11 full yearsCasey has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L LT 5-speed