roof rack install on fiberglass raised roof?

roof rack install on fiberglass raised roof?

Postby markmitch [OP] » June 5th 2014, 1:26am

I took a roof rack off an Astro and cut it down to fit on the raised roof of my 94 starcraft packaged van but I have never bolted anything to a fiberglass roof so if anyone here has done this please fill me in on how to do it correctly and be able to load small luggage on to it. Thank you, Mark
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: roof rack install on fiberglass raised roof?

Postby 97cargocrawler » June 5th 2014, 2:31am

I've never done it but I would think mounting to the vertical sides and more feet the merrier. Spread the load and the hardware (i.e. feet with mounting holes not too close together. Use fender washers on the inside.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby markmitch [OP] » June 5th 2014, 2:49am

I asked because my neighbor said to use wood screws with plastic inserts , that sounded kinda iffy to me.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years

Postby gavio » June 5th 2014, 3:11am

I haven't done it on fiberglass, either, but I sure wouldn't settle for wood screws and inserts.... I'd go like CC says and use bolts with fender washers and use a rack if possible that mounts to the vertical sides of the roof, it'll be way more capable of holding up a load...
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby estilian » November 19th 2014, 3:51pm

Just wanted to ask - have you done this job and how is it?

I have a raised roof and I have a great 600l Thule which I would like to mount. My main concern is the load... Any ideas how to install it securely so that at high speed and bumps on the road the roof rack will stay on top of the Astro... not on top of the car behind or inside mine :shifty:

Actually the question should be - how to mount roof railing through the whole length of the Astro.

IMG_3160.JPG

Here is the roof rack I have. It's mounted on my other car - Mercedes SEL600. I know it looks small, but this is because the car is very big :) Actually this is one of the biggest thule-style racks available on the market right now :)

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG
estilian
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: estilian has been a member for 6 full yearsestilian has been a member for 6 full yearsestilian has been a member for 6 full yearsestilian has been a member for 6 full yearsestilian has been a member for 6 full yearsestilian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: Transcar

Postby WoodButcher » November 19th 2014, 7:08pm

Lol, wood screws & inserts.
No.
Drop the headliner and glue to the inside furring strips. 1"x3" or wider hardwood, as long as you can fit with the contours of the roof. (poplar is a good choice, cheap and strong enough) I would use the foaming gorilla glue because it will expand and fill voids, harden so the piece will stay where you want it. Cut sticks (from the floor to the strips and wedge them in)to hold them in place till the glue cures, cover everything in the van w/ painters plastic, wet the boards to help the glue do it's thing then put the glue on the boards and hold them w/ the sticks.
After an hour or so you can start to clean up then through drill to mount your rack.
Practice w/ the glue first, it makes a mess!

(edit)
Last edited by WoodButcher on November 20th 2014, 1:48am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Starrshine » November 19th 2014, 8:57pm

I am faced with this same dilema as I need a rack for my kayak. It only weighs 50# but lift with the wind will be a killer. My plan is to anchor the rack where the two roofs come together. I intend to take a couple of screws per rack mount and drill them for bolts. I do believe the fiberglass will crack! Do not listen to your neighbor, that's laughable
Bob
Bob

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss
Listen to my music here:
http://www.reverbnation.com/bobstarr
Starrshine
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Starrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full yearsStarrshine has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD

Postby dbotski » August 8th 2015, 4:49am

Did you end up mounting anything to your fiberglass roof? I am thinking of doing it myself and was wondering if you had and pictures?
dbotski
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: dbotski has been a member for 5 full yearsdbotski has been a member for 5 full yearsdbotski has been a member for 5 full yearsdbotski has been a member for 5 full yearsdbotski has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999

Postby markmitch [OP] » August 13th 2015, 5:09am

I sold the van with the roof rack inside for the new owner to figure it out, wife hated the van after she drove it because the seats were so big you could not get out of the pass front seat and go into the back because there was very little space due to the seats being bulky.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby HotWire » August 5th 2016, 8:20pm

Yakima Track system is what I'd use. Spreads the load evenly and has flexibility.
Attachments
8aa4ddbf1d4a20010a199acc47698ffa.jpg
HotWire
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: HotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Nick
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby esc » August 18th 2016, 12:54pm

That is just what the tracks on my "new" van look like.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102961

I was trying to identify them last week and finally decided that they were probably made by Yakima.
I like that they spread the load.

Yakima sells kit with these tracks for mounting into steel or fiberglass.
The steel kits have screws that remind me of pop rivets.
The fiberglass kits are through bolted with fender washers on the inside.
esc
Years of Membership: esc has been a member for 4 full yearsesc has been a member for 4 full yearsesc has been a member for 4 full yearsesc has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):