The repainting of astro355

The repainting of astro355

Postby astro355 [OP] » January 14th 2010, 12:45am

I decided a while ago that I was going to repaint my van. I figured that I would start small and learn the tricks of the trade, so to speak.

The first damaged area to be repair. It had an accident with a lawn mower meaning the pushing mower was "pushed" into the van. Left a deep scrape straight to the metal.

The area has been thoroughly cleaned and taped.

Another angle of the area to be repainted.

The scratched area after it was wet-sanded with 400 grit.

Another picture of the sanded area. You can see the rings in this one.

Next the primer was sprayed on. I sprayed on several thin coats to build up the primer. I used a template to help control the hard paint lines which is why you can see an outline.

I used 600 grit to wet-sand the primer area followed up with a 1500 wet sand to remove all of the 600 grit marks.

Jet Black is the paint I will be using for the van. Here is after a couple coats of that paint.

The clear coat is next. As you can see in this picture, the jet black is different than factory black. The difference shows a lot more than it does in person. Last thing to do is buff it out. The spot is dust floating in the air.

Another angle of the finished product. As Munken mentioned to me, the Standox paint I'm using does leave an orange peel effect. Look at the reflection of the light on the quarter panel. Just part of the learning I suppose. Again, the spot is dust floating in the air.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

Original Poster [OP]
astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Galvanized Paint repainting process.
    by silasthemac » May 6th 2020, 5:29am in Exterior
    7 Replies
    Last post by Astro Pop View the latest post
    May 6th 2020, 11:09pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 29th 2020, 3:09am

Re: New first paint related repair

Postby astroturf » January 14th 2010, 12:49am

Progress. Can not wait to see the finished product.
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Mr_Bowtie » January 14th 2010, 3:11am

Way better then I can do......... :clap: All jet black will look killer!
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby Jasen » January 14th 2010, 3:23am

Looks good.
If you put on a little extra clear coat. you can sand it pretty hard once it's cured and get out a lot of the orange peel.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby astro355 [OP] » January 14th 2010, 3:34am

Jasen wrote:Looks good.
If you put on a little extra clear coat. you can sand it pretty hard once it's cured and get out a lot of the orange peel.

Yup, that's what I did. After looking at it an hour ago, I can sort of see the repair area under the paint. Anybody have an idea of what I did/didn't do to cause that?

Original Poster [OP]
astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen » January 14th 2010, 3:47am

Maybe you didn't feather it out far enough.

Ultra gauge

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 [OP] » January 14th 2010, 9:46am

Jasen wrote:Maybe you didn't feather it out far enough.

I suppose. You don't see the area of the primer, you see the area of the sanding rings. Maybe the primer was too light or I sanded too much away?

Original Poster [OP]
astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen » January 15th 2010, 2:30am

That's what I've run into in my early years at playing with body work. The primer looked good, but when the paint went on is when things started showing up.

Did you hand sand or block sand?

Ultra gauge

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby offroad safari » January 15th 2010, 3:25am

i've learned painting is definately an art and i need more practice.
'90 AWD Shorty Safari
4" Overland Lift + countless mods
"It's a Safari thing.... Jeep people couldn't understand"
offroad safari
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: offroad safari has been a member for 11 full yearsoffroad safari has been a member for 11 full yearsoffroad safari has been a member for 11 full yearsoffroad safari has been a member for 11 full yearsoffroad safari has been a member for 11 full yearsoffroad safari has been a member for 11 full yearsoffroad safari has been a member for 11 full yearsoffroad safari has been a member for 11 full yearsoffroad safari has been a member for 11 full yearsoffroad safari has been a member for 11 full yearsoffroad safari has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA): Witman40
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD Shorty

Postby webcat » January 15th 2010, 5:06am

astro355 wrote:
Jasen wrote:Maybe you didn't feather it out far enough.

I suppose. You don't see the area of the primer, you see the area of the sanding rings. Maybe the primer was too light or I sanded too much away?

Mayby you did'nt sand it enough with the finer sandpapers ?
I'm thinking if you sanded the hell out of it with the finer sand papers and sanded well beyond the little area to keep the panel looking straight would'nt it be impossible for it to show up through your paint and you probally would'nt even need primer , i normally dont use primer because i had a bad experience where it made my paint a little lighter in color , i was thinking if i ever used primer again i would prime the entire panel .
All the vehicles i did'nt use primer on came out perfect .
i would like to see what a Pro like Munken has to tell us as i'm just a backyard painter like you guys.
Attachments
Air-in-Line-Sander.jpg
Air-in-Line-Sander.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
webcat
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 253
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby astro355 [OP] » January 15th 2010, 10:40am

webcat wrote:Mayby you did'nt sand it enough with the finer sandpapers ?
I'm thinking if you sanded the hell out of it with the finer sand papers and sanded well beyond the little area to keep the panel looking straight would'nt it be impossible for it to show up through your paint and you probally would'nt even need primer , i normally dont use primer because i had a bad experience where it made my paint a little lighter in color , i was thinking if i ever used primer again i would prime the entire panel .
All the vehicles i did'nt use primer on came out perfect .
i would like to see what a Pro like Munken has to tell us as i'm just a backyard painter like you guys.

Using the primer is supposed to save you sanding time by filling the work area. Just as the same reason why I'm wet-sanding instead of dry sanding. I'm sure that the fact that I don't have a block sander is the reason why the sanding area shown threw, as Jasen mentioned.

Original Poster [OP]
astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby evil_motors » January 15th 2010, 3:25pm

i probably would have used a small bit of body filler and used that to sand down instead of the primer.
1992 GMC Safari XT , Rhinolined interior, Fatmat walls and celing, Racing seats, Satin Black Dash, Taplock, Clear Corners, Check out my continuing thread with all my mods and lots of pictures.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3769
evil_motors
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: evil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: XT RWD

Postby toddb » January 15th 2010, 8:04pm

Problem of not using primer is that paint generally does not adhere to bare metal well.
1997 Safari 2WD 3:73 locking. 300,000 km - almost full load.
2000 Safari AWD 3:73 locking. 275,000 km - Full load.
toddb
Years of Membership: toddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 [OP] » January 19th 2010, 12:31am

I have moved on to the hood.

Pic of the hood before painting. Its really not straight.

Additional pic of the hood before painting. Again, not straight at all.

Its cleaned and prepped for sanding. You can see even more dents.

After the initial sanding. Just a lot of highs and lows.

After the first filler is added. I'm not crazy about filler but I'm really not crazy about dents and such.

After the first layer of primer. But unfortunately not the last coat of primer.

Original Poster [OP]
astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Re: The repainting of astro355

Postby astroturf » January 19th 2010, 12:41am

That project is coming along nicely.
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Jasen » January 19th 2010, 4:29am

Block sand my friend ;)

A little bondo isn't a bad thing. A 1 gal can for one dent on the other hand :lol:

Hey, you could learn to do lead filler.

Ultra gauge

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 [OP] » January 19th 2010, 4:45pm

Jasen wrote:Block sand my friend ;)

A little bondo isn't a bad thing. A 1 gal can for one dent on the other hand :lol:

Hey, you could learn to do lead filler.

Yes, I'm block sanding. I learned my lesson. :roll:

Although I didn't think I can make that hood perfectly straight. Its pretty rough.

Original Poster [OP]
astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen » January 20th 2010, 1:59am

Chevy hoods have always been trouble. They just always seem to be thin and take damage easily even on cars that don't have the rake of the vans.
You've got an older rig, no worries, I'm sure it'll look better then those stone dent's you had.

I'm watching these rattle can posts pretty closely. I've got a big bubble that cracked on my slider a couple years ago. It showed up shortly after getting side swiped.
I'm going to give it a rattle can repair this spring, as well as the drivers 1/4 panel below the belt, a parking lot present.

Ultra gauge

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 [OP] » January 20th 2010, 9:06am

Rattle can? No rattle cans here, I bought this stuff a while ago:

Original Poster [OP]
astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby tedanderson » January 20th 2010, 11:11pm

Jasen wrote:I'm watching these rattle can posts pretty closely.

I think you have him confused with the other guy.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Next