Gull wing Side windows?

Gull wing Side windows?

Postby survival bill [OP] » July 12th 2014, 3:52am

is their a way to mode the side windows so that they really open up fully if I want as right now they only open up a couple of inches I understand that when in motion you dont want them to open much but I only open them when I am camping would be nice if I could open them up so I could access gear in the van from the open window...
Original Poster [OP]
survival bill
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: survival bill has been a member for 6 full yearssurvival bill has been a member for 6 full yearssurvival bill has been a member for 6 full yearssurvival bill has been a member for 6 full yearssurvival bill has been a member for 6 full yearssurvival bill has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Survival Bill
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L V6

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • B-window to gull wing
    by Wokka » July 26th 2020, 8:38am in Exterior
    12 Replies
    Last post by Wokka View the latest post
    August 10th 2020, 9:29am
  • Adding a side window?
    by Star Stuff » June 2nd 2020, 3:20pm in Exterior
    8 Replies
    Last post by Rod's Trucks View the latest post
    June 5th 2020, 7:53pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 1:25pm

Re: Gull wing Side windows?

Postby The Drummer » July 12th 2014, 4:09am

Yes you can ,you do have to unscrew the latch/handles ,but once done the window opens quite wide , i am sure you could replace the screws with wing nut type of screws and a piece of wood or whatever to keep it open , or just buy a 10$ batterie opreted screw driver and remove alll the screws whenever you camp.
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby C11MAN » July 12th 2014, 4:35am

maybe easier than unscrewing it I would just push out the roll pin that is closest to the window side, mine push out easy with just a punch and a little pressure
2002 AWD with 6" lift and 32x11.5 Deegan 38 mud terrains
Onboard air compressor, Electric fan conversion, NP236 2sp transfer case, custom fog lights
forever working on the van.
C11MAN
Years of Membership: C11MAN has been a member for 7 full yearsC11MAN has been a member for 7 full yearsC11MAN has been a member for 7 full yearsC11MAN has been a member for 7 full yearsC11MAN has been a member for 7 full yearsC11MAN has been a member for 7 full yearsC11MAN has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Astrofarian » July 12th 2014, 5:26pm

C11MAN wrote:maybe easier than unscrewing it I would just push out the roll pin that is closest to the window side, mine push out easy with just a punch and a little pressure

You could take out the roll pins altogether and replace them with "hairpins"....the kind like you use on your trailer hitch pin. Then you could "Pull the pin" whenever the need arose..... :2:
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby survival bill [OP] » July 12th 2014, 9:27pm

Thanks for the ideas I will see what I can do with them now...
Original Poster [OP]
survival bill
Years of Membership: survival bill has been a member for 6 full yearssurvival bill has been a member for 6 full yearssurvival bill has been a member for 6 full yearssurvival bill has been a member for 6 full yearssurvival bill has been a member for 6 full yearssurvival bill has been a member for 6 full years

Postby icebrrg3rd » July 15th 2014, 4:45pm

WAIT!!! HOLD UP!!!

IIRC, the "hinge" isn't really a true hinge, just a piece of metal that bends/flexes slightly to allow the window to open that few inches, it has a range of motion of only 5-10°. If you pop the latch off/apart and try and open the window fully, you'll bend that metal, and most likely the window won't close or seal properly again.

Check out the "hinge" closely before attempting to fully open your window. Just my :2:

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 261k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 213k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 180k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby The Drummer » July 15th 2014, 9:25pm

Mine are actualy loose sort of as the bottom hinges are unscrewed , you will gain maybe a few inches but not much at all , it wont open all the way up without mods , it hits the top weather striping so you cant open it up more , just take off the 6 screwes from the bottom hinges and open it up as far as it goes without forcing it and see if thats enough , i doubt thats what you had in mind tho .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby X-AstroJunkie-X » July 16th 2014, 2:45pm

I just wanted to throw a idea yalls way, remove the uppers screws at the top hinge and replace them with a longer bolt that fits the hole and put a butterfly nut on the inside. the window is now easily removed (not while driving mind you).
X-AstroJunkie-X
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: X-AstroJunkie-X has been a member for 6 full yearsX-AstroJunkie-X has been a member for 6 full yearsX-AstroJunkie-X has been a member for 6 full yearsX-AstroJunkie-X has been a member for 6 full yearsX-AstroJunkie-X has been a member for 6 full yearsX-AstroJunkie-X has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Raleigh
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: LT 4.3 Vortec

Postby survival bill [OP] » January 15th 2015, 7:04am

WEll I did pull the pins and yup it really dont open any more than with the pins in :banghead: I will have to go to a wrecker and see how the top is attached to the body may be able to fudge some hinges for the top of the window.... or just set something up so that the entire window can just be easily removed as X-AstroJunkie-X suggested above....
I did try and remove the screws bottom and top of window and was not able to get them out did not want to force anything at the time is their any trick to get them off easy? I see another trip to the wrecker for some removal testing....
Original Poster [OP]
survival bill