Drivers Side Door Pins and Bushings

Drivers Side Door Pins and Bushings

Postby axisg [OP] » January 31st 2009, 3:11pm

The drivers side bushings are getting sloppy on the '03. Has anyone tried to tackle this themselves or should I just bring it to a bodyshop and let them deal with it??

Many years ago with the help of 2 friends I had to do it to my 1980 Cutlass 2 door and it was no picnic.
Original Poster [OP]
axisg
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: axisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): blacknome

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Need help finding drivers side mirror glass.
    by SafariVan » January 3rd 2021, 4:26am in Exterior
    8 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 4th 2021, 6:48pm
  • Side mirror vibrating ( glass )
    by Olivier02 » October 11th 2020, 8:40pm in Exterior
    7 Replies
    Last post by vangogo View the latest post
    October 13th 2020, 1:01am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 1st 2021, 2:08am

Re: Drivers Side Door Pins and Bushings

Postby astro355 » January 31st 2009, 5:43pm

It won't be any picnic with the astro either. I don't know what shops charge for replacing the bushings either. I guess you could get a quote, remember that cutlass and see if its worth it or not. If you can get it done right, I would tell you to do it yourself. If not, let someone else deal with it. :2:
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby 'cudapaul » January 31st 2009, 5:57pm

It is a relatively easy job.

Dorman sells the pins and bushings and you will need a door spring compressor which is about $5 at harbor freight.

If you look carefully at the pin you will see a small clip that holds the pin in place. Use a screwdriver to push the clip up on to the body of the pin and drive the pin either up or down depending on which way it has to go. Use the spring compressor to clamp the spring to remove and re-install it.

SPring compressor from Harbor Freight:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisear ... oor+spring

Make sure you support the door. You can use jack stands or tie some rope to the top of the door frame and support it from above.

All in all, it will take about an hour per door.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby moneyvango » February 1st 2009, 8:09pm

I don't know doodley-poop about this procedure; I only know is that it is pretty expensive. The drivers side door on my '97 was getting ready to fall off the hinges, so I took it to a GMC dealership.They re-hung the door, put in new hinges and bushings(?),and did some other work, and the total came to about $550. This was a few years ago and I don't remember what the exact price breakdown was.Funny thing is,is that the upper hinge pin will back out every so often so it has to be tapped in to place.The hinge pin actually goes in upside-down which dosen't make any sense to me.According to the diagram in the Chilton's book, that's how it's supposed to go. :shrug: Good luck with this and let us know how you did!!
1997 Safari AWD, 378K miles / 1992 Camaro RS / 1965 Studebaker Daytona Sports Sedan
moneyvango
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: moneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full yearsmoneyvango has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): rsrookie

Postby axisg [OP] » February 1st 2009, 10:55pm

I have done some research on this and spoke to a buddy of mine who has done 3 Astrovans now and I think I will tackle this on my own instead of taking it in.

Either I will do it at work and use the forklift forks hanging over the dock with 2 straps to support the door or do it at my freinds shop ( my preferred option ) and he uses his electric chain fall with an engine leveler and 2 straps to do it.

He said that he has the process down to about 30 mins on his own and not much quicker with 2 guys.
Original Poster [OP]
axisg
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: axisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full yearsaxisg has been a member for 12 full years

Postby Matrixx » February 2nd 2009, 4:41am

Hi axisg
If you could even take pictures that would be great. I will be doing mine in the next few months and would like to hear if their is anything we should be made aware of that isn't mentioned in the books.

Hi moneyvango
I believe their should be a locking clip for the pin to prevent that from happening. The clip needs to be moved up and out of the way to give access to the pin to remove it. Did the dealership put it back in?
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby axisg [OP] » February 2nd 2009, 9:42pm

I will take some pics ( if I remember my camera :))
Original Poster [OP]
axisg
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Gary » February 4th 2009, 6:05am

You might want to take a peek at the tool offered by:

http://www.eastwood.com

It works pretty well and isn't that expensive.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: high top

Postby axisg [OP] » March 10th 2010, 8:14pm

LOL, only took me a year !!

I finally got around to replacing the pins yesterday. I took pics ( with my cell ) and they all turned out dark !! I was however very surprised that it went so quickly ( 45 mins all-in ! )

I will break it down in steps in case anyone every comes accross this post and is wondering how !

1 - I put gaffers tape on the door seams to protect from scratches or gouges ( gaffers tape is like duct tape but not as sticky, layers of masking tape will do the job )

2 - With the door open and the window down I took 2 of my 2" ratchet straps and looped them around the door and fastened them to an overhead beam ( a forklift fork in my case ) and then tied the two together thru the window opening (making an H and thereby not allowing the straps to slip off either side of the door or allowing the door to flop side to side ). Then using the ratchet mechanism took the remaining slack out of the straps and supporting the door.

3 - using the biggest screwdriver I had I pried out the door spring

4 - I made sure the pins were free by tapping them up and down in their sleeves with a screwdriver and small hammer

5 - there are little metal retaining clips on the door pins themselves, now this is where I spent the most time because they will spin on the doorpin if you try and pry them out. I eventually got them out by using my wirecutters and scraping up and down the sides of the pin until the metal clips broke off

6 - with the clips off I tapped the pins out slowly ( going back and checking the tension on my straps ) and after about 15 mins of scraping, and a little cursing the pins came out and I was able to pull the door away from the van appx 6 " ( any more than that and the wiring for the door would have to be disconnected )

7 - I cleaned up the mess in the door jam with some brake cleaner, tapped out the old bushings ( my very bottom one was cracked ) and tapping in the new ones in the same pattern them came out so I would not mess it up. Once they were in I put a dab of axle grease in the holes to help lube the pins

8 - re-positioned the door over the hinges and pushed in the top pin first halfway ( it was easier to reach ), then with a little maneuvering the bottom pin went in halfway as well. I then tapped in the remaining portion of the top pin then the rest of the bottom pin.

9 - I could not compress the door spring enough so I went to Princess Auto and bought their $4.99 door spring compressor and popped the door spring back into place in their parking lot.

All said and done it was $15.00 for new pins and bushing from the stealership ( I was there picking up other parts anyways ) and $4.99 for the door spring comressor. 45 mins from the time I started until the last pin was in. If I knew it was going to be this easy I would have done it ages ago because the door pins and bushing have been in the door pocket since last spring. The tape is a must because the door had to be held away from the hinge area and was constantly bumping the fender while I was replacing the bushings. Another set of hands would have helped when re-installiing the bushings but I ended up doing it all by myself.
Original Poster [OP]
axisg
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby tedanderson » March 10th 2010, 11:02pm

The way that I got the pins out was to hammer them as far as I could and then I put a 1/4 bolt through the hole and kept on tapping. Also, you will have to raise up the door a little to take some of the binding pressure off of the pin. If you can find that sweet spot of not being too high or too low, the pin will slide right out with a pair of needle-nose pliers.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby JaxSPL » March 31st 2010, 3:31am

I went through all this a couple weeks ago, when I changed out both doors from a passenger van. The door pins are not hard at all, once you get the retainers out of the way. You "can" put the top pin in right side up, but it's a little bit of a pain to do. Plus, if you have to remove the later for any reason at all, it'll be a big p.i.t.a.

This topic reminds me. I need to go to a pull-it and grab 2 springs. I didn't replace any when I swapped the doors. I also have to change out the bushings on the driver door due to scraping when I open/close the door. Glad to find out I can get a door spring compressor. Using pliers sucks.
"Installer's Nightmare" has officially come to life. Only 1 sub, but loud and clear.
Subwoofer enclosure designer. PM For More Info
JaxSPL
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: JaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 SPL