uh oh. Door handles don't work...

uh oh. Door handles don't work...

Postby JaxSPL [OP] » February 26th 2010, 11:37pm

This morning I had to leave the van at a different place than usual so I could borrow the big truck (moving box truck) form work. Well, when I was able to get back to the van I couldn't get in from the driver side. I also can't open the door from the inside handle. I'm not sure how I am going to get the door open as the panels are 3" thicker than normal due to my speaker panels. I need to get them off to pull the rod to open the door. Really think I'm going to break something in the process.

On another note. Passenger side door is working great with the handles. I can't use the key to lock/unlock it though. When I put the handle on I couldn't get the clip that hold the rod to the lock mechanism on. The window track was in the way. What is the easiest way to do this?

Since the passenger door was locked, thank god my slider door worked and I didn't complete the subwoofer wall. I had enough room between the partial sub wall and B pillar to get the passenger door unlocked. Then had to climb through to the driver side. That was easy since I have no passenger seat (van is not meant for passengers yet).

So, how do I open the driver door without tearing everything up?
"Installer's Nightmare" has officially come to life. Only 1 sub, but loud and clear.
Subwoofer enclosure designer. PM For More Info
Original Poster [OP]
JaxSPL
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: JaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 SPL

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • '99 Safari "Quality" Door Handles?
    by FGravity » May 15th 2020, 6:28pm in Exterior
    10 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    August 5th 2020, 11:58pm
  • How do I get rid of an extra door?
    by Sklar » May 6th 2020, 9:49pm in Exterior
    1 Replies
    Last post by 90safari View the latest post
    May 6th 2020, 10:54pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 5:46am

Re: uh oh. Door handles don't work...

Postby Jasen » February 27th 2010, 1:44am

Sounds like the rod fell off, but you might still be able to get it with a slim jim. Role the window down, wedge the window out of the way, flash light and slim jim.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Astroplane » February 27th 2010, 6:40am

JaxSPL wrote:This morning I had to leave the van at a different place than usual

They tried to get in and failed?

JaxSPL wrote:What is the easiest way to do this?

Very cramped quarters. Mini bent long needlenose pliers, etc.

JaxSPL wrote:So, how do I open the driver door without tearing everything up?

Like Jasen said. If that doesn't work, put the window back up and take off armrest, covers,etc. to get more access from inside.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby JaxSPL [OP] » February 27th 2010, 2:19pm

This actually sounds easy enough. Thanks guys. I'm fixing to go to the parts store and get some new clips for the rods. Might have to invest in some long needle nose pliers also since I don't own a pair, that I know of. I'll be doing the, "I think I can, I think I can", all darn day until I get it done.. hehe
"Installer's Nightmare" has officially come to life. Only 1 sub, but loud and clear.
Original Poster [OP]
JaxSPL
Years of Membership: JaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby JaxSPL [OP] » February 27th 2010, 7:08pm

Done with it. One of the rod locks came off. I was able to open door from the inside, unlike yesterday where no handles were working. 5 minutes worth of work and now everything is back the way it should be. I am, however, going to have to change the door pin bushings. Door is sagging a little. No biggie there though.

Thanks for the help
Original Poster [OP]
JaxSPL
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » February 27th 2010, 8:22pm

JaxSPL wrote:Done with it. One of the rod locks came off. I was able to open door from the inside, unlike yesterday where no handles were working. 5 minutes worth of work and now everything is back the way it should be. I am, however, going to have to change the door pin bushings. Door is sagging a little. No biggie there though.

Thanks for the help

Good to hear. Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Jasen » February 28th 2010, 12:23am

:thumbup:
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door