Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Ladder rack

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Lumpy 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 astro van. Not a cargo and it don't have the factory rails on the roof. What's a decent ladder rack and where can I buy them? Thanks

#2 ·
Well one from an astro at the junk yard would probly be very cheap , and most times they never been used and you will have all the parts gasckets ,bolts etc , and its a sure fit as well .

#5 ·
Donnyb said:
I went to one junk yard. No luck. I don't think there's no more that's close. Will see
Junk yards, U-Pulls, Salvage yards, by any name, likely don't keep cars like Astros for long. They're old and not particularly sought after. The yard might pull the engine, wheels, trans, rearend - those can be resold pretty easily and fit lots of other cars and don't take up lots of SPACE. But that big box costs them real estate which could probably be much better used for more current model cars. It might be more economical for the yard to crush/scrap the van box pretty early.

PLUS - ladder racks are probably pretty sought after and pretty universal.

So what I might try is visit the yard every 2 days. If it seems like they have the same cars and no new ones, stretch it out to 3-4 days. Pretty quickly you'll find out how often they turn over various models.

Going just one time gives you a narrow snapshot of what's available. Might be that an hour after you left a tornado hit the state government transportation yard and totalled all the Astros they used for prisoner/handicap/utility transport.

Going more frequently might also give you some bargaining. "That flux capacitor bracket on that red Astro has been there for 6 weeks. Will you take eleven dollars for it?"

Lump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.