99 astro rear hatch dutchdoors stuck Please help

99 astro rear hatch dutchdoors stuck Please help

Postby Thebrain [OP] » October 27th 2014, 2:07pm

99 astro rear hatch stuck Please help
I have a 99 astro the upper rear hatch is stuck, I’ve inserted key then turned counterclockwise then pressed button the right side will move out about a
half inch the left side won’t budge.

The lower door will open as far as the top hatch.

Also the power door locks are non functioning I searched here
And found to check fuse #20 confused on the fuses I see a fuse block
in engine compartment then read there’s another fuse box under the steering
wheel please advice.

What is the electric door lock module could it be malfunctioning?

I was hoping the rod inside the rear hatch was disconnected however it
Appears to be connected I attach image.

I have searched however my time on the net is extremely limited
I bought this van to transport my elderly Mother to cancer treatments
So this is kindof an emergency to have this rear door open just incase we
have a flat.

edit the front cigrarette lighter doesn't work? I will check that fuse under the dash.

is there a button on the dash to open the doors?

Thanks TB
Attachments
rearhatchinside.jpg
1999 Astro HT conversion RWD.Van is for sale 112K miles good condition $4500.viewtopic.php?f=68&t=64402
Original Poster [OP]
Thebrain
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Thebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 48
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Bike rack on rear hatch
    by Rockridge » October 1st 2020, 1:24am in Exterior
    2 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    October 1st 2020, 5:15pm
  • 98 astro cargo rear barn door stuck
    by StillSmiling » January 22nd 2021, 5:09am in Exterior
    3 Replies
    Last post by CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! View the latest post
    Yesterday, 6:24pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 24th 2021, 9:29am

Re: 99 astro rear hatch dutchdoors stuck Please help

Postby RECox286 » October 27th 2014, 5:47pm

Some trucks do have a dash button to unlatch the dogs that hold the hatch shut. (Some don't)

Is the attached picture actually your truck ? If it is, have you tried to manually unlatch the

dogs that the rods go to ? The problem may be that one of the rods is attached to its' dog, and

the other one has slipped out of its' attachment. In that case you have more digging to do, in

order to get to the non-working dog in order to release it so the hatch will, in fact, open. It can

be done, it's no fun, but doable. We have met the enemy, and they is us !

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby DRZ » October 27th 2014, 8:26pm

Thebrain wrote:99 astro rear hatch stuck Please help
I have a 99 astro the upper rear hatch is stuck, I’ve inserted key then turned counterclockwise then pressed button the right side will move out about a
half inch the left side won’t budge.

The lower door will open as far as the top hatch.

Also the power door locks are non functioning I searched here
And found to check fuse #20 confused on the fuses I see a fuse block
in engine compartment then read there’s another fuse box under the steering
wheel please advice.

What is the electric door lock module could it be malfunctioning?

I was hoping the rod inside the rear hatch was disconnected however it
Appears to be connected I attach image.

I have searched however my time on the net is extremely limited
I bought this van to transport my elderly Mother to cancer treatments
So this is kindof an emergency to have this rear door open just incase we
have a flat.

edit the front cigrarette lighter doesn't work? I will check that fuse under the dash.

is there a button on the dash to open the doors?

Thanks TB

The two ends were bent 90 degrees so the part clears the pivot pin after the pic was taken. Click on the pic and that takes you to the same pic on Photobucket with arrows that take you to more pics on this subject. There usually is a short note under the Photobucket pics. I agree with whomever said you will probably have to find a way to pull the offending latch manually to unlock it hatch and then do your mods... Good Luck
Mercy, Photobucket even has that screwed up. There is a whole series in a row on my album but the "bucket seems to have moved them all around here. I don't know why I stay with that mess except I'm old and don't like to change all that much.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys

Postby Thebrain [OP] » October 28th 2014, 2:32pm

I found the problem
Part# for plastic door rod

The small plastic piece that attaches to the right end of the door rod actuater is broken
Anyone know the PN for this piece?

Or another way of repairing it?
Thanks TB
1999 Astro HT conversion RWD.Van is for sale 112K miles good condition $4500.viewtopic.php?f=68&t=64402
Original Poster [OP]
Thebrain
Years of Membership: Thebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full yearsThebrain has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » October 28th 2014, 3:17pm

Get thee to your LAPS and look for the aisle where they keep the HELP display. You should

find what you need there. If not ask at the parts counter.

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby Thebrain [OP] » November 4th 2014, 3:08pm

the small red plastic piece is on the left end of rod so the rod can't be held in place.

1. I was thinking this was a dealership item are you saying I could obtain this small piece from the local auto store like advance auto?

2.I'm thinking this whole rod will have to be removed from the middle then completely removed from inside door just to get this small red plastic piece attached to rod?

last time I was at the dealership ( a part for my Firebird) the man told me they don't sell parts for cars that are over 10 years old will I have problems obtaining small dealer sold parts?
even at a GM parts direct?
Thanks TB
Original Poster [OP]
Thebrain
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » November 4th 2014, 4:17pm

The retainer bushing should be available at your LAPS, in HELP section. If not, then ask at the parts counter.

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby Thebrain [OP] » November 4th 2014, 5:08pm

2.I'm thinking this whole rod will have to be removed from the middle then completely removed from inside door just to get this small red plastic piece attached to rod?
Original Poster [OP]
Thebrain
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » November 4th 2014, 6:09pm

Thebrain wrote:
...last time I was at the dealership ( a part for my Firebird) the man told me they don't sell parts for cars that are over 10 years old will I have problems obtaining small dealer sold parts?
even at a GM parts direct?

I once had a parts desk guy at a dealer that the federal government was going to make it illegal to drive a vehicle over 25 yrs old.

GM Parts Direct
Nalley GMC
GM Parts East

All good online parts sources if you need OEM stuff. But I think your part is a Dorman HELP item hanging on the shelf down at O'ReillyZone.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Thebrain [OP] » November 6th 2014, 3:24pm

excellent we have O riley I'll report back Thanks TB
Original Poster [OP]
Thebrain
Alias (AKA):

Postby Thebrain [OP] » November 7th 2014, 3:22pm

I cruised by O rileys they had three assorted packages of these rod holders wasn't sure which package to get.

maybe next time you cruise by O rileys you could get the # off the box.
Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
Thebrain
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » November 7th 2014, 5:31pm

- Take the old part in to match up

- Take a photo of the old part in to match up

- Ask the guys at O'Reilly to look it up by application

- Buy all three, return the two you don't need

"Commence to have become gotten her done"

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Thebrain [OP] » November 10th 2014, 2:58pm

Lumpy wrote:- Take the old part in to match up it's in piecs

- Take a photo of the old part in to match up could take image of the opposite side is it the same piece

- Ask the guys at O'Reilly to look it up by application they couldn't or would'nt

- Buy all three, return the two you don't need was gonna do this probaballey best option thanks

"Commence to have become gotten her done"

Lump
Original Poster [OP]
Thebrain
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » November 10th 2014, 3:15pm

Get all three assortments, fix the problem, put the remainder on a peg board hook for the

future when (not if) you need another rod bushing, consider you saved a ton of money by

DIY, reach your right hand over your left shoulder and give yourself a pat on the back.

SMILE, LOOK PROUD, and Keep on Truck'n !

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby vwfye » May 21st 2016, 5:08am

I used a metal cir clip to replace the plastic. A bugger to install, but it should never fail!
vwfye
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: vwfye has been a member for 5 full yearsvwfye has been a member for 5 full yearsvwfye has been a member for 5 full yearsvwfye has been a member for 5 full yearsvwfye has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » May 23rd 2016, 9:00pm

vwfye wrote:I used a metal cir clip to replace the plastic. A bugger to install, but it should never fail!

Excellent First Post !! :rockon:

I am glad you finally spoke up ... lol - creepin' around lurking all these months...
That guy is Probably Glad Too - The thread is 18 or so months old.

Welcome !!!!

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... Anyone that condones the actions of the American People during the Storming of the Capitol are as complicit as the Assholes themselves.
But no way does this let the Democrats or the MSM off the Hook.

sixsix
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K