door handle replacement, I did it a little differently

Re: door handle replacement, I did it a little differently

Postby Mr_Bowtie » March 30th 2010, 3:00pm

Jasen wrote:
rev_les wrote:
I care Bowtie :D

Jasen has enough love for the both of us !! :text-imsorry:

*edit...I DO know I've described removing the handle, just not a play by play :mrgreen:

I have described it once before on here too as a pain in the azz! :lol:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby Jasen [OP] » March 31st 2010, 12:57am

Glad we could help Jeff, as well as quiet the wimminz :D
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Original Poster [OP]
Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby AstroCan » June 6th 2010, 3:22am

Next time put hockey tape over the sharp edges and your hands will be fine.
2004 Astro LS AWD
AstroCan
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: AstroCan has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroCan has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroCan has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroCan has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroCan has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroCan has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroCan has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroCan has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroCan has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroCan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 59
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS

Postby gerard » February 22nd 2013, 4:10am

:D Thank you for your post, switched my drivers handle almost stress free.
gerard
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: gerard has been a member for 8 full yearsgerard has been a member for 8 full yearsgerard has been a member for 8 full yearsgerard has been a member for 8 full yearsgerard has been a member for 8 full yearsgerard has been a member for 8 full yearsgerard has been a member for 8 full yearsgerard has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby gillbates » May 20th 2013, 4:37am

This job is something that people with little hands would be best at. There's several things I noticed that may help someone else.

Someone mentioned sitting on the ground. That sounded like it wouldn't work when I read it. The exact position is sitting on your butt with your back against the drivers seat. You can slide a leg under you butt and shift around a little if you start getting stiff or whatever but being that low puts you at the best angle to see what you need to see and the reach is perfect for a normal sized guy. If you're little, get a phone book.

There are two rods I had to take off. I used a large screwdriver to pop them off. There was nothing to unclip. The first one attaches to the door handle. There is an access hole, the size of a quarter, just below the latch on the door ( At least on the 97). Pop the Rubber cover out. If you peer through there you can see the lower nut. If you manipulate the handle, while peering through the access hole, you can see the rod that needs to be popped attached to the handle mechanism. I believe I stuck the screw driver through the access hole to pop that rod off. If I came from the inside of the door I watched through the access hole. Either way pop that one off. You can use a 10mm socket to take the lower nut off through that hole too.

The other rod you can see from the sitting on ones butt position I mentioned earlier. It's vertical, running from the top of the door to the back side of the key lock in the door. Pop it off at the back of the key lock. Use an open end 10mm wrench to remove the top bolt. Hopefully you can spin it off after it gets loose. Don't worry about dropping the nuts as it will happen. You should buy one of those $10 sears magnetic pick up tools anyway. Usually they just drop to the bottom where they are easy to find.

To get the new handle on I spun the bottom nut on a few turns. Next, I went to the sitting position and had my wife stand outside by the handle. I had her guide me, my finger pressing the nut against the sheet metal, into position (which she did OK after I explained that I couldn't see which way her finger was pointing). Once the nut was in the correct location I had her place the threads against the nut and carefully spun it and it caught, then I just spun it tight. I did the same with the bottom one. After that it was simple to tighten using a ratchet on the bottom nut and an open end wrench on the top nut until they were both tight. I popped the vertical rod in first ( I ripped the annoying white netting off first. If someone knows what the purpose of the netting is, let me know). Don't forget to get your flashlight out of the door before putting the trim back on.
gillbates
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: gillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full yearsgillbates has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Gill Bates
Extra Info: rwd

Postby Moose » August 27th 2016, 5:53am

Very good info Jasen! Very helpful.
Moose
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Moose has been a member for 6 full yearsMoose has been a member for 6 full yearsMoose has been a member for 6 full yearsMoose has been a member for 6 full yearsMoose has been a member for 6 full yearsMoose has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L SLE RWD

Previous