Switching front ends

Switching front ends

Postby AADH20 [OP] » January 21st 2015, 8:32am

How difficult is it to switch from the astro cargo square headlamps from end to the astro passenger front end??any help?? Know how?? Thanks everybody :chevy:
Original Poster [OP]
AADH20
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: AADH20 has been a member for 6 full yearsAADH20 has been a member for 6 full yearsAADH20 has been a member for 6 full yearsAADH20 has been a member for 6 full yearsAADH20 has been a member for 6 full yearsAADH20 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): AADH20
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Custom front bumper
    by Tanino » September 30th 2020, 1:36am in Exterior
    7 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 8:42pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 23rd 2021, 7:08pm

Re: Switching front ends

Postby WoodButcher » January 21st 2015, 2:06pm

Easy if your going with stock / same year parts.
Look below at the
"related topics".
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby jaywoo65 » January 26th 2015, 8:43pm

Very easy. Pick N Pull will have everything you need. EBay lights are cheap, $44 a set shipped. You'll need some bolts from pick n pull to hold on the new headlights and the wiring. Just cut off 6-8" with the connectors and butt splice them.

Oh, the driver's side turn signal lense is new, the passenger side is the original. I bought two new lenses, that was just a comparison shot.
Last edited by jaywoo65 on January 26th 2015, 9:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 AWD Astro - under construction
"She may not look like much kid but she's got it where it counts"
jaywoo65
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: jaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full yearsjaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full yearsjaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full yearsjaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full yearsjaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full yearsjaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD baby

Postby WoodButcher » January 26th 2015, 8:48pm

How does the light output compare Jay?
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby jaywoo65 » January 26th 2015, 9:06pm

I think it's quite a bit better, but of course it's all new stuff compared to the sealed beam headlights that were a year or two old when I swapped them out. Here's what I paid:

Grill: $35 at Pick N Pull
Headlights: $44 shipped for the pair (EBay)
Side markers: $16 shipped for the pair (EBay)
Turn Signal lenses: $26 Shipped (EBay)
Wiring harness and bolts: Free (Pick N Pull)

The headlights came with bulbs. Pretty awesome deal I thought. I could have went with all Pick N Pull stuff but wanted new lenses for everything.
jaywoo65
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: jaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full yearsjaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full yearsjaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full yearsjaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full yearsjaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full yearsjaywoo65 has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Meterpig » January 26th 2015, 9:36pm

If you are going to go that route...go all the way for HID lights with quality ballasts. I was surprised that GM shipped passenger astros up to 05 with the old style lights.
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby AADH20 [OP] » January 26th 2015, 9:58pm

From end switch out looks great! That's what I want! Question, did you keep n reuse the original factory lighting harness n just splice to fit new headlights? Or you bought new harnesses? The rest looks pretty easy. Thanks. J :chevy:
Original Poster [OP]
AADH20
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: AADH20 has been a member for 6 full yearsAADH20 has been a member for 6 full yearsAADH20 has been a member for 6 full yearsAADH20 has been a member for 6 full yearsAADH20 has been a member for 6 full yearsAADH20 has been a member for 6 full years

Postby jaywoo65 » January 26th 2015, 10:13pm

I cut off the single headlight connector and used butt splices to hook up the dual harness that I took off of a van at pick n pull. Just split the green and tan (high beam and low beam) and used the black for both (Ground). When I cut off the dual harness off of the van at PNP, I cut it as far back as I could reach, gave me more wiring for my van. I don't have any pictures of the splices but I can take a couple tonight.

Oh, the grill fits right in with your existing screws, no modifications required. So do the headlights for that matter. The bolt holes are already there, You just need to pick up the bolts at a PNP also.
jaywoo65
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Alias (AKA):

Postby AADH20 [OP] » January 26th 2015, 10:20pm

Awesome!! Post wire splicing if you can. That's the part that concerns me. Thank you :)
Original Poster [OP]
AADH20
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby jaywoo65 » January 26th 2015, 10:22pm

It's easy. I'll get you a pic tonight and do a little wiring diagram also.
jaywoo65
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher » January 26th 2015, 10:22pm

@MP, While HIDs may fit the stock composite headlights the reflectors are not designed for the HID bulb output. A proper HID projector lens will give you a definitive cut off line. The scatter from HIDs in a halogen housing will blind oncoming drivers.

I learned a bit from this thread.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread. ... highlight=
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby jaywoo65 » January 27th 2015, 4:09am

Just splice the tan to tan, green to green, and put the two blacks together on one side and splice to the vehicle black. Easy easy.
jaywoo65
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Alias (AKA):

Postby djremix » February 7th 2015, 3:30am

I'm getting a 2002 Astro next week and it has the same sealed beam you had, I prefer the composite look. I also prefer the Safari front end, would the grille/headlight combo of the Safari be just as easy to swap onto my original front end as it was on your Astro?
djremix
Years of Membership: djremix has been a member for 6 full yearsdjremix has been a member for 6 full yearsdjremix has been a member for 6 full yearsdjremix has been a member for 6 full yearsdjremix has been a member for 6 full yearsdjremix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): djremix
Extra Info: 2WD cargo

Postby jaywoo65 » February 7th 2015, 4:41am

I would think so, except it's gonna say GMC on a Chevy.
jaywoo65
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Alias (AKA):

Postby djremix » February 7th 2015, 11:54pm

I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to learn as much as possible... I'm going from a fully custom, bagged S10, which I know a ton about to an Astro, that I know very little about. I appreciate all comments and apologize if I may sound ignorant at some points...
djremix
Years of Membership: djremix has been a member for 6 full yearsdjremix has been a member for 6 full yearsdjremix has been a member for 6 full yearsdjremix has been a member for 6 full yearsdjremix has been a member for 6 full yearsdjremix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby djremix » February 7th 2015, 11:59pm

So you think this grille will bolt right up? Can I re-use the marker lights off the Astro?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.25 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
djremix

Postby Lumpy » February 8th 2015, 12:02am

I'm mildly cornfused...

Is there a Safari grille that was not also made in a Chev bow tie style? I don't know much about Gen II trim.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby WoodButcher » February 8th 2015, 1:13am

Astro and Safari van bodies are identical, if that is a safari grill it will fit the astro. As to the question if the "lights will fit the grill" I can't say for sure. I have not had experience with the gen II composite grill. I would suggest trying what you have before ordering new.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby djremix » February 8th 2015, 1:53am

I don't even have the van yet, I'm picking it up next week for cheap money but I don't care much for the sealed beam look. Wanting to upgrade but don't want to do a crap load of mods on the front. Before I go pulling parts from the junk yard , want to make sure it will fit... Still learning about these vans
djremix

Postby Astrofarian » February 9th 2015, 12:51am

djremix wrote:So you think this grille will bolt right up? Can I re-use the marker lights off the Astro?

The grille will bolt right up but if memory serves I believe you will need to get a pair of Safari marker lenses to go with the grille.
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Next