Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Adding a raised roof to a 2001 cargo van

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
Has anyone added a raised roof to a 2001 or later - any stretch version? I am curious to see how much, if at all, it will affect mpg. Ideally, I would like to buy one already put together but they are in short supply.

#3 ·
Yes, agreed. $4K for a roof mod would more than pay for itself in savings in hotels over 4 years, including increased fuel costs. Added to that, I would feel safe in my van stopping in a rest stop overnight for a good nights rest in my comfy van, instead of seeking a hotel while traveling.

#4 ·
Wandering the junkyards, I've only seen raised roofs on the extended ones. Many different styles & heights to choose from. If I ever see one for a shorty, I'm grabbing it.

Any increase in frontal area will affect mpg's, and usually negatively.

Best bet would be get one from a junkyard for cheap, chop a hole in your roof and install it, taking notes when you remove it from the wrecker so you know how to put it back on. It's not too complicated, just make sure you seal it properly to prevent leaks.

-Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.