Adding a 4th door (Driver's-side rear door)

Adding a 4th door (Driver's-side rear door)

Postby MWeightman [OP] » March 23rd 2015, 3:20am

Hello,

Background:
Having grown up with a '95 GMC Safari and having gone on tons of travel-trailer camping trips with mom and dad, I set out to buy a van so that I could do the same with my family. I'm extremely disappointed that mid sized vans today don't even mention towing capacities (apparently because vans aren't meant to tow anymore), but managed to talk my wife into buying a 2005 Astro. The problem? We don't have a trailer yet, and now that we have two kids and a third on the way, my wife is fed up with the single rear door and wants a different van. Buying a second van is not practical, and I'd hate to give up my Astro for something dinky; buying a travel trailer is still a goal, but my need for four is threatening that goal.

My questions:
1) Has anyone ever added a driver-side rear door? I've looked far and wide, and my searches have found nothing but instructions on replacing the 3 doors already there. I'm afraid of what this means for my Astro, and so in one last desperate attempt, I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I assume structure of the vehicle is an issue, as well as placement of the gas door, but if I can even install a tiny slither of a door just big enough to throw a kid threw and reach my arms in, I might just save my van.

2) Does anyone have any other suggestion? Custom 3-seat lazy-susan seat swivel? 90 degree swinging bench seats? Basically if my wife has to crawl in the back, it's not going to work for her (especially as child 3 gets bigger and bigger in her belly). If I could find a way to enable her to put three kids in their car seats without getting in the back, I might dodge the need for the fourth door. (In anticipation of "Put the kids in for her," I should say that 3 days out of the week, she has to take our kids to preschool and doctor appointments while I'm at work. And I've already tried telling her preschool and doctors are for schmucks, but she's not buying it.)

3) If it comes to it (wincing as I type this :cry: ), what do you think would be a suitable replacement vehicle, considering similar size and towing capacity, and of course, 4 doors?

Thank you in advance!
Original Poster [OP]
MWeightman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: MWeightman has been a member for 5 full yearsMWeightman has been a member for 5 full yearsMWeightman has been a member for 5 full yearsMWeightman has been a member for 5 full yearsMWeightman has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD - Pssngr

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Adding extra cargo space
    by Vander » January 19th 2021, 10:18pm in Exterior
    4 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 20th 2021, 5:01am
  • Side mirror vibrating ( glass )
    by Olivier02 » October 11th 2020, 8:40pm in Exterior
    7 Replies
    Last post by vangogo View the latest post
    October 13th 2020, 1:01am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 7th 2021, 7:38am

Re: Adding a 4th door (Driver's-side rear door)

Postby chevymaher » March 23rd 2015, 3:44am

No there is no drivers side door in the back. Unless you want to make one yourself.

They do sell vans with doors on both sides. Get your checkbook ready. You going into a higher Tax bracket.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby AstroWill » March 23rd 2015, 3:45am

1. I have never seen one either, but I almost bought a full sized van with one.
2. Change out the benches for bucket seats. Part 2: Congrats on your 3rd.
3. I can't bare to think about it right now :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby redfury » March 23rd 2015, 4:50am

It's nothing that will come easy. You're going to have to take into account the window that's already there, beefing up the rocker panel....lots of welding and body work. If it's not something you can accomplish yourself, it's going to cost more than you probably paid for the van to have built into it. Not to say that it wouldn't be really, really cool though.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby Meterpig » March 23rd 2015, 4:53am

Get an awd express with doors on both sides. Do a fly and drive and be ready to pay 15 to 20k. Look on the bright side...it won't depreciate all that much. Tow whatever you want.
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby The Drummer » March 23rd 2015, 6:03am

yep what he sais ,or a promaster
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby RECox286 » March 23rd 2015, 8:36pm

Suburbans are the tractor of choice for doing a trailer behind job. I know it ain't a van, but they do

have all four doors to start with, plus it is ready to tow from the git-go. (mostly) Will drag a full size

trailer, so there is little need to do the set up dance once you are at the campsite. Also, it is nice to

be able to pull to the side of any road for a potty stop, or a quick bite to eat in comfort. Sleeps enough

wee-bees that you don't have to practice family planning either. Aunt Tillie gets the couch in front,

Bobbie and Johnie can have the table bed, and Mum 'n' Dad get the rear bed...Baby Sweetums ? (the crib

between) Then there is always the upper bunk over the front couch to fill up ! Ha.

Roughing it ? TV, take with shower, water heater, microwave, refrigerator, +++ you name it...Even a

sunshade and beach chairs, maybe even a potted palm tree and flamingo for the front yard.

Pulling your leg about the flamingo, of course !

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Roger Ramjet » March 23rd 2015, 10:27pm

What about putting a single barn door on the drivers side .. door from a older chevy van

but then next she'll want this too .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huEmwxFwpTg
1997 Astro Van
Roger Ramjet
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Roger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Roger Ramjet
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 2WD 4.3

Postby smokinjoe » March 24th 2015, 5:51pm

I think the bottom line is that you will spend way more on fabricating the door and supporting hardware than buying even a brand new van that comes with one.

And that's IF you can convince someone to do it, which would be difficult.

You would have an easier time convincing your wife that one door is better or the Astro is worth owning.
smokinjoe
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 268
Alias (AKA): smokinjoe
Extra Info: RWD

Postby icebrrg3rd » March 24th 2015, 6:24pm

There's an '03 Express conversion van with left side doors for sale right now just south of Milwaukee for only $6500, AWD & tow package, so if she wants a van w/ left side doors, they're out there, but it'll be larger than an Astro.

ExpressWithLeftDoors.JPG
ExpressWithLeftDoors.JPG (59.99 KiB) Viewed 2703 times

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Roger Ramjet » March 24th 2015, 9:52pm

smokinjoe wrote:I think the bottom line is that you will spend way more on fabricating the door and supporting hardware than buying even a brand new van that comes with one.

And that's IF you can convince someone to do it, which would be difficult.

You would have an easier time convincing your wife that one door is better or the Astro is worth owning.

OR you can cut a hole in the left side and install one of those pet doors , the kids will love crawling through it LOL :auto-mysterymachine:
1997 Astro Van
Roger Ramjet
Years of Membership: Roger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full yearsRoger Ramjet has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Roger Ramjet
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 2WD 4.3

Postby AstroWill » March 24th 2015, 10:23pm

One of those electronic ones that only open with the proper collar.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby Lumpy » March 25th 2015, 12:13am

Seems easy enough to fab something up.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Abe Froman » March 25th 2015, 1:16am

Over the years I have seen a lot of custom doors, just depends how talented you are or how talented the guy you pay is. Here one example of a crazy door conversion

Abe Froman
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Abe Froman has been a member for 6 full yearsAbe Froman has been a member for 6 full yearsAbe Froman has been a member for 6 full yearsAbe Froman has been a member for 6 full yearsAbe Froman has been a member for 6 full yearsAbe Froman has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Cargo RWD

Postby Meterpig » March 25th 2015, 1:21am

Here is one all ready to go. Just 45K.

http://boulderoffroadvans.com/4x4_vans_ ... stom_rides
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby coppermtn » March 28th 2015, 6:12pm

I saw that van b4.

I wound up purchasing this 3 years ago. was a demo that never got titled with 5k on the odometer.
Price was right.

87 4.3 V6 auto. SFA dana 44 ox locked, 5.13 gears, prorock dana 60 detroit rear. Stak 3 speed t-case. Tom woods shafts. 37 inch krawlers.
coppermtn
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: coppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full yearscoppermtn has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): soup kitchen

Postby MWeightman [OP] » April 9th 2015, 4:44pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I got most of my crying out writing the post, so the confirmations I was fearing for didn't hurt so bad; I had already began to realize it wasn't coming back, and this allowed me to pull the chord on of my ideal dream van. I've been looking to replace my car with something more economical for work, but I'm now considering the second van after all; it'll mean terrible millage getting to work, but I'm slowly convincing myself that it'll be worth it.
Original Poster [OP]
MWeightman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: MWeightman has been a member for 5 full yearsMWeightman has been a member for 5 full yearsMWeightman has been a member for 5 full yearsMWeightman has been a member for 5 full yearsMWeightman has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD - Pssngr

Postby AstroWill » April 9th 2015, 10:02pm

Until gas goes back up to $4 a gallon ;)

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby kennyj » April 9th 2015, 11:04pm

Here's my van with dual sliding doors and Lambo-style front doors! :banana:

lambo door dual slider 640.jpg

:wave:
kennyj
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Kenny
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 250k+ miles

Postby SilverBullet1997 » April 9th 2015, 11:14pm

kennyj wrote:Here's my van with dual sliding doors and Lambo-style front doors! :banana:

lambo door dual slider 640.jpg

:wave:

Naw, that's not photoshopped..... :poke:
R.I.P.-1997 Astro AWD SilverBullet I 4-9-1997 to 2-17-2015 - Cause of death: Rear-ended
R.I.P.-1999 Astro AWD SilverBullet II 1-4-1999 - July-2016 - Cause of death: Roadrash passenger side

Current: 1999 Astro AWD GreenBullet I - Purchased 02/2018
SilverBullet1997
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: SilverBullet1997 has been a member for 8 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 8 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 8 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 8 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 8 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 8 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 8 full yearsSilverBullet1997 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): Silver or Bullet or SB
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 7in Lift AWD Z71

Next