Glass falling out!

Glass falling out!

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » April 16th 2015, 4:45pm

Since I bought my van, it has had a small leak in the windshield near the top right passenger side.

The prior owner had tried smearing some silicone there, which of course never works.

I noticed on my last road trip a drip near the center of the drivers side back window. My van is not a conversion van, just a regular SLT passenger van. I thought it might be leaking where the roof rack screws in, and put it on the list of "round tuits".

It is not the rack, it is the window its self. I bought some black polysulfide calk I was going to repair it with.... Wow was I surprised when I pulled on the edge of the trim!

(Let me find the pictures)
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Side mirror vibrating ( glass )
    by Olivier02 » October 11th 2020, 8:40pm in Exterior
    7 Replies
    Last post by vangogo View the latest post
    October 13th 2020, 1:01am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 6:33am

Re: Glass falling out!

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » April 16th 2015, 4:55pm

:banghead:
image.jpg
:confused:

A gentle pull, and it almost fell out!

No mastic, looks more like some kind of grey adhesive. It is hard as a rock!

The back window has been sealed with it too... Does not look like it was re-done. Anyone else have such an issue?

image.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » April 16th 2015, 4:57pm

I am going to gently pry the window out, chip as much of this off as I can and bed it back in with the polysulfide....
image.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » April 16th 2015, 9:24pm

Gave it a little tug,came right out!
Look so weird open...

image.jpg

The mastic is very hard, grey... Seems like it was bonded to the paint.

image.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » April 16th 2015, 9:26pm

image.jpg
Closer yet.....
image.jpg
Closer
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » April 16th 2015, 9:36pm

Look at the paint stuck to the back of the mastic.
image.jpg
Paint stuck to mastic

Another one;
image.jpg
Another

Something wrong here....

image.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Coaster » April 16th 2015, 10:06pm

wow
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Coaster
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 113
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 16th 2015, 10:23pm

Is that the rear air conditioner option?
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby GZimmy » April 16th 2015, 10:40pm

Sailing Faith, I urge you to NOT use that polysulfide adhesive to glue that window in. I spent 39 years in the auto glass industry as an installer and I know what I'm talking about. Polysulfide will not hold that window in very long. What you need is polyurethane auto glass adhesive, WITH its proper primers. You can get a couple tubes and primers and do it yourself, but I recommend that you go to a reputable auto glass shop, where they do such jobs every day, and have them glue the window back in with the proper adhesives.

Find a GOOD shop where they will carefully remove that original urethane adhesive, make sure both the glass and the pinchweld is primed properly with any evident rust repaired, and only then install the glass.

Gary :geek:
GZimmy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: GZimmy has been a member for 5 full yearsGZimmy has been a member for 5 full yearsGZimmy has been a member for 5 full yearsGZimmy has been a member for 5 full yearsGZimmy has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Gary
Van Model Year: 2000

Postby GZimmy » April 16th 2015, 10:48pm

What you had there, Sailing Faith, is an adhesive failure, and it appears to be the original factory-installed urethane, judging from what I can see in the pictures. This is very unusual, unless your van was in an accident somewhere along the line and the bond was disturbed. It must be glued in again properly.

While you're at the auto glass shop, you might want them to take a look at that leak in your windshield. It's quite common for rust to start under the windshield of these vans, especially in a corner like that. It may be easily repairable, or it may mean pulling the windshield and completely redoing it. :roll:

GZimmy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: GZimmy has been a member for 5 full yearsGZimmy has been a member for 5 full yearsGZimmy has been a member for 5 full yearsGZimmy has been a member for 5 full yearsGZimmy has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Gary
Van Model Year: 2000

Postby AstroWill » April 16th 2015, 11:28pm

I always thought that it would be cool if the rear side windows would open. I'm jealous!
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby WoodButcher » April 17th 2015, 3:40am

GZimmy wrote:Sailing Faith, I urge you to NOT use that polysulfide adhesive to glue that window in. I spent 39 years in the auto glass industry as an installer and I know what I'm talking about. Polysulfide will not hold that window in very long. What you need is polyurethane auto glass adhesive, WITH its proper primers. You can get a couple tubes and primers and do it yourself, but I recommend that you go to a reputable auto glass shop, where they do such jobs every day, and have them glue the window back in with the proper adhesives.

Find a GOOD shop where they will carefully remove that original urethane adhesive, make sure both the glass and the pinchweld is primed properly with any evident rust repaired, and only then install the glass.

I second that!

I'm wondering what caused a failure like that? It looks like maybe the paint and primer wasn't cured before the glass went in but I'm thinking they used the wrong glue. Is the paint good otherwise? was this a repair with the wrong adhesive? Even after years the glue used on windows should have some flex / elasticity left to it. The stuff should not be brittle and hard.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Zebediah III » April 17th 2015, 4:52am

Glass is not to be attached to a painted surface.
That's why it didn't stick. It will leak, just like you
described. before it gets painted, it is masked in the
area where the urethane will go. It goes onto etching
primer, or glass primer, not a smooth paint.
Zebediah III
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Zebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 383 Crate Motor

Postby Astro Pop » April 17th 2015, 5:58am

So what I gather from the responses from the pro's here is that someone has done a shi*** repair and then unloaded the van on you. I'd also check other glass carefully and then other body items. Like is the rear frame straight, bondo in any panels, any fresh undercoating on the underside? But it could just be that somehow someone broke a rear window and did a DIY repair.
Astro Pop
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » April 17th 2015, 7:23am

Thanks for all the replies all.

I used a razor to prep the gasket, and got it about 90% but when I put the window up to the surface it did not have a good feel... Hard to explain, but I suspect some will understand. I thought about going to try to find a new gasket, but elected to take the glass to a glass shop.

Yes, it was very cool driving with the window out. Even more so since I got the new MAF in today and it drive much better... Driving with the windows down and that side window out moves a lot more air through the van. :)

Guy at the window place said he has seen this before. The place the window bonds to was not supposed to be painted... It was supposed to be primed with special primer.. Apparently GM was messing this up in the paint booth for a while. He said he bet the back window was the same way, and sure enough The prior owner had put a thin bead of sealant on the back window too.

This van was never wrecked, only paint it has had was when I had the hood and fenders sprayed.... There is no filler on the side and I have not found rust on it anywhere.

I belive the glass guy, he seemed to know his stuff and really had not incentive to BS me.

Thanks for the tips on not using polysulfide, I misspoke when I typed that. What I had picked up was polyurethane... I have used polysulfide on boats before, and have used this particular polyurethane and it works pretty well.... But I differ to your judgement anyway..

Window is back in now... If yours start leaking you will know what to look for.
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » April 17th 2015, 7:31am

GZimmy wrote:What you had there, Sailing Faith, is an adhesive failure, and it appears to be the original factory-installed urethane, judging from what I can see in the pictures. This is very unusual, unless your van was in an accident somewhere along the line and the bond was disturbed. It must be glued in again properly.

While you're at the auto glass shop, you might want them to take a look at that leak in your windshield. It's quite common for rust to start under the windshield of these vans, especially in a corner like that. It may be easily repairable, or it may mean pulling the windshield and completely redoing it. :roll:

Thanks Gary, your post made me feel better about spending money to have someone else do it... Even if I had the right sealant, I admit I never would have thought to look for a special primer...

I am in California, but the van is registered in Florida. Whenever I drive back, the windshield replacement is covered by insurance there.. (Even liability policy's in FL cover the windshield... State law).

Guy here wanted $150 to r&r it, but if the windshield broke taking it out I would have to replace it anyway....
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Astro Pop » April 17th 2015, 7:08pm

Glad it was an easy fix after all.
Astro Pop
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » April 20th 2015, 9:37pm

Astro Pop wrote:Glad it was an easy fix after all.

I hope so! The back window has a slight leak, the prior owner seems to have tried to fix w silicone... That never works! :screaming:
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » September 11th 2020, 6:21am

Flash forward five years.......

The passenger side failed in the exact same way, this morning I noticed this:

32F8EF54-4C61-404A-A2DF-343650927CA8.jpeg
Not supposed to do this....

Another view;

4CF24BDE-9A32-4E1B-84D1-05EAC4D3A88B.jpeg

C2D2F593-7216-41F4-9FB3-6AF9BEEED98C.jpeg
Was able to carefully pry it out... same failure as last time.

Ground the remaining sealant off of the window, took it to a glass shop where they brushed the metal, applied a primer and then reset the window in fresh mastic.

87FB98FC-E00D-4329-86B5-0C6E1C1D329C.jpeg
All buttoned back up....

Reyes Glass, in San Rafael CA... owner is a great guy (they have Astro service vehicles)... quoted me $200 for a new windshield. :rockon:
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby dcsleeper » September 11th 2020, 2:39pm

yikes!
A factory oops to be aware of.
Many thanks!
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

foxfire wrote:i have a thing for customizing slightly outdated vehicles.

yeah, don't we all....
dcsleeper
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004

Next