weird door alignment issue

weird door alignment issue

Postby Coaster [OP] » August 22nd 2015, 6:06pm

so last weekend i got one of my "new" doors (of the same year, 95) on the drivers side albeit temporarily. it has to come off to reweld the lower hinge.

this door opens and closes amazing! the old door clunked and oil canned everytime and never worked right, it had been open and van reversed into something at some point before i owned it tearing the upper door hinge partway off (breaking the weld) and so badly misaligned the lower hinge that it took part of the hinge out on the body side.

so i have one part of the lower hinge not there anymore but i think i can fix that. my issue is that the upper part of the door frame around the window leaks air. i looked closely at the door and the window frame sticks out of the body around 3/32" causing the leak, whereas the lowest part of the door sticks INTO the body around 3/32". the area around the door handle is flush with the body.

now this is way better than the old door and i'll take it, i can likely modify the weatherstrip to take up the slack up top but is there a way to fix this that i can do? the only thing i can think of is that the lower hinge part of the van body itself got pushed in 3/32 in the "incident". if the hinge was a bolt in i would add some washers inbetweent he hinge and body and i am sure that would aligne the door near perfect.

i cant see how to pull that area out, my only idea is to weld the hinge pin holes shut and drill new ones, and i am not sure i can do that great of a job at that.

if i can today i'll get a better set of pics that show the alignment issue

I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 113
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Any Issue With Using L-Track as Roof Rails ?
    by SportsBoy » July 24th 2020, 12:44am in Exterior
    11 Replies
    Last post by ri$e*above View the latest post
    August 6th 2020, 2:42am
  • Sliding Door Parts
    by junkylogic » August 4th 2020, 11:02pm in Exterior
    4 Replies
    Last post by gavio View the latest post
    August 5th 2020, 2:37pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 16th 2021, 9:05am

Re: weird door alignment issue

Postby RECox286 » August 22nd 2015, 6:14pm

Sounds like the truck is bent a bit out of shape. Do the best you can with what you' ve got.

Maybe keep an eye out for a better truck, one you can drive, and use the one you have for a

donor.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Coaster [OP] » August 24th 2015, 2:54am

P82A12011.jpg

P82A12021.jpg

you can see what i describe. i think its all in the lower hinge. its super sloppy and i need to weld it and drill new holes

i changed the door handle today and its stupid hard the first time. i drilled the hole...

P82A12051.jpg

also had to change radiator as mine blew up this morning

P82A12041.jpg
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher » August 24th 2015, 4:26am

How's it align in the front?
If it is good on the leading edge I would say twist the door.
If the front is the same as the rear that you pictured you need to move the hinge.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Astroecho » August 24th 2015, 6:07pm

That hole in the door for the handle looks familiar!!! Looks like a factory job. Nice one.
Astroecho
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Astroecho has been a member for 6 full yearsAstroecho has been a member for 6 full yearsAstroecho has been a member for 6 full yearsAstroecho has been a member for 6 full yearsAstroecho has been a member for 6 full yearsAstroecho has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Coaster [OP] » August 25th 2015, 1:47am

i bought a 1" hole saw and used the plug from the original door :banana:
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astroecho » August 25th 2015, 11:28pm

Looks good
Astroecho
Years of Membership: Astroecho has been a member for 6 full yearsAstroecho has been a member for 6 full yearsAstroecho has been a member for 6 full yearsAstroecho has been a member for 6 full yearsAstroecho has been a member for 6 full yearsAstroecho has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Zebediah III » August 26th 2015, 12:52am

If it just needs to go in at the top, and you don't have the big tool, you can put
a block of wood at the appropriate pivot point and force the top to bend in small
increments until it's where you want it. Put the wood in between the van and the door,
most likely bout halfway down and hold the door so it won't fall out, and start forcing
the top to bend toward the roof a bit at a time. Take the wood out and close it to see
if you need to bend it more.
Zebediah III
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Zebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 383 Crate Motor

Postby Coaster [OP] » August 27th 2015, 3:03am

i welded today after work. its not perfect and i may re-explore this fix but for now the difference is amazing

P82A12081.jpg

this is the first time i have used my lincoln wire feed. its also the first time i used my hobart auto dark helmet. i love these things

the door closes factory perfect now. ok maybe not but darn close :cheers:

then i took the above advice and bent the door with a 2x4 and pushing on the top frame. it worked!!

P82A12091.jpg

it no longer screams going down the highway
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher » August 27th 2015, 3:26am

Nice job!
I welded a plate onto my passenger hinges when they got buggered up.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby icebrrg3rd » August 27th 2015, 6:18pm

Coaster wrote:...then i took the above advice and bent the door with a 2x4 and pushing on the top frame. it worked!!...

I still remember going to the AMC factory in Kenosha when I was a kid and saw how they adjusted the door gaps on the cars coming off the assembly line. They would see how the door closed, and then opened the door, stick a rubber mallot in (high or low, depended on where the door was off) and slam the door. Once or twice and the door was aligned.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty