Dutch Door Replacement Gaskets

Dutch Door Replacement Gaskets

Postby earlman [OP] » September 13th 2010, 5:27pm

Hi again-
Re: 1997 Safari w/ the dang DUTCH DOORS!

I posted this in 2009, that my Dutch doors were leaking water. Now, they are REALLY leaking, and I'm really bummed-out about it. I saw that someone got me a link to get the straight piece gasket on top that attaches to the body for $110. Now, I need the rest of them.
I need part numbers for these, and websites. If I have to pay a dealership top dollar for gaskets, I might as well just sell it.
Please somebody- can I get some help. It's only got 86,000 and it runs like a champ, but now it's starting to stink inside from the water.
Can anybody get me the GM part numbers for these gaskets, or the SPECIFIC part number for other sites?
I'm really at a dead-end here. When I go to the discount GM website, I don't know which part is which. THANKS GUYS! :banghead: :confused:
Original Poster [OP]
earlman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: earlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Dutch door handle part number?
    by Coyotecamper » September 7th 2020, 4:53am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by Coyotecamper View the latest post
    September 7th 2020, 8:15pm
  • SteelRubber Dutch Door Seal Install
    by AstroOafAdventurerAstroOafAdventurer is online! » October 21st 2020, 8:47pm in Exterior
    0 Replies
    Last post by AstroOafAdventurerAstroOafAdventurer is online! View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 8:47pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 27th 2021, 10:57pm

Re: Dutch Door Replacement Gaskets

Postby Phantom » September 13th 2010, 7:50pm

This should help, includes part numbers:

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/components/ ... 11006.html
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby sfeaver » September 15th 2010, 4:43am

I have replaced all of my rear door seals. And it still leaks. Its a crap design. I fixed my leak by drilling a hole on each side where the water pools. I have a thread on here or the other site with pictures. I thought it was a lousy fix, but after spending the money for new seals and it still leaked at least its a fix.

Scott
sfeaver
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby earlman [OP] » September 3rd 2011, 3:20pm

Upon closer inspection, the rubber gasket is glued to the vinyl trim piece that holds it in place. I got some 3M #08008 gasket sealer (cheaper on ebay, and one tube will last you FOREVER) and re-glued the original rubber gasket to the vinyl, then I went to the hardware store and got 2 tubes of siliconized black door and window caulk. Siliconized caulk stays a little more ridgid than silicone, and it dries to a *matte black* color, not like the shiny stuff on your bathtub. The matte black look blends in real well. When I replaced all of the vinyl trim (with rubber properly attached), I shot caulk into the vinyl trim, and then pushed the trim back on (with some help from a rubber mallet). Then, after everthing was in place and dried, I caulked any place around the trim/gasket that looked like it needed to be caulked. I also took off the plastic trim that runs along the bottom, and because it's a large piece of plastic, it gave me the liberty to really caulk it good without it being seen. I don't want water to sneak up under that and get the carpets wet, then I would be back to square one.

So, Dutch doors leaks are SEALED! :rockon:

Total cost: $17, total time 2 hours (not including waiting for drying time)

Since this post, almost all of my seals have been failing at the same time. More caulk, much success!

'97 Safari. Bubble gum, coat hangers, duct tape and prayers.
Original Poster [OP]
earlman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: earlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full yearsearlman has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 'cudapaul » September 3rd 2011, 4:52pm

Just a suggestion for everyone who has this rear door leak problem:

Park with the front of the van lower than the rear so that the water does not flow towards the back doors.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Big Dac With Fries » October 30th 2011, 1:50am

And this is how my day ended. Was unloading my tools, and I noticed my knees were wet. :banghead:

After peeling the carpet back and seeing how soaked the underlay is, I decided just to rip out the underlay. If it dries, I'll put it back in, if not, I'm going to use a sound deadener like Dynamat, since it doesn't absorb water.

I noticed that the water is leaking/pooling in at the bottom where the vertical sheetmetal "lip" ends. It pools up, goes underneath the threshold trim, and gets soaked up by the carpet and underlay. I was going to caulk the crap out of it with urethane, but after reading about drilling small drain holes, I might do that as well.

Parking downhill is a must for me...
Big Dac With Fries
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Big Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):

Postby paintdrying » October 30th 2011, 3:04am

My barn doors leak as well and it really pisses my off. I was thinking of making a hillbilly looking drip edge out of sheet metal.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby Big Dac With Fries » October 31st 2011, 3:10am

I put the Safari back together today with the help of my dad, so I can get back to work tomorrow. Took some pictures of what I did, hopefully it'll help some of you out who are having the same issue I was, with water seeping in past the lower threshold trim.

I tried to dry the old underpadding out, but it was still dripping wet this afternoon. Even if I could dry it out, it would just wind up soaked again if I spilled something on it. So I decided to make an alternative.

I picked up a roll of aluminum waterproofing tape from Rona (~ $25.00) and laid some strips down. It's a heavy tar-like tape, and I've used it before on car trunks and floors to keep noise down. I figured it would be good to use here.

Then I used a 4-pack of foam tiles from Canadian Tire (~ $15.00) and made my new "underpadding" Its a high density foam that resists soaking up water. It's also the same thickness as the old underpadding I ripped out. Here is where I cut the rear seat bracket holes.

I put the new foam underpadding underneath the carpet, and started to put everything back together. When I got to the threshold trim, I ran a long strip of tape across the van, from drip rail to drip rail, and made sure it stuck well (I spent about 30 mins yesterday cleaning off the old two sided tape and tar tape with lighter fluid) It's kind of hard to explain, but half of the tape is on the carpet, and half of it is stuck to the van. So if water were to come in, it would have to run up the tape-dam.

I also siliconed the threshold trim after I screwed it back into place, and made some little plugs to plug the screwholes.

The final product:

The silver stuff is the waterproofing tape. Once it's stuck down, it's next to impossible to remove...

Hope this helps. :pray:
Big Dac With Fries
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Big Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full yearsBig Dac With Fries has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):

Postby mikestone » November 9th 2011, 3:11am

I had a similar problem and found there was a gap at the doors between the gasket and touch point so a new gasket would not help.
I cleaned the body metal with alcohol, then I put packing tape, clear tape that you use on cardboard boxes, on the gaskets on the doors, I then sprayed them with Pam cooking spray. Next I ran a bead of GE silicone 2 caulk on the body where I cleaned it. I then closed both doors and let them sit for about 2 seconds, long enough to form the silicone but not long enough for it to ooze all the way out, then opened them back up. Them peel off the packing tape. You need to check that excess caulk is not blocking the flow gap so the water can travel along the door to the bottom. Let it dry well and then use the doors as normal. This did make the flow gap smaller and you need to check it periodically in case a leaf or algea get in there. I also changed all the carpet pad and had to remove the front seats and dry everything. It's been good for at least 6 years now.
mikestone
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: mikestone has been a member for 9 full yearsmikestone has been a member for 9 full yearsmikestone has been a member for 9 full yearsmikestone has been a member for 9 full yearsmikestone has been a member for 9 full yearsmikestone has been a member for 9 full yearsmikestone has been a member for 9 full yearsmikestone has been a member for 9 full yearsmikestone has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby kus » December 2nd 2011, 3:59am

Big Dac With Fries wrote:And this is how my day ended. Was unloading my tools, and I noticed my knees were wet. :banghead:

[ http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m498/Bigdacwithfries/1999%20GMC%20Safari/IMG00121-20111029-1655.jpg ]

After peeling the carpet back and seeing how soaked the underlay is, I decided just to rip out the underlay. If it dries, I'll put it back in, if not, I'm going to use a sound deadener like Dynamat, since it doesn't absorb water.

I noticed that the water is leaking/pooling in at the bottom where the vertical sheetmetal "lip" ends. It pools up, goes underneath the threshold trim, and gets soaked up by the carpet and underlay. I was going to caulk the crap out of it with urethane, but after reading about drilling small drain holes, I might do that as well.

Parking downhill is a must for me...
:x :x had the same thing, all the carpet all the way into the pass and driver side totally soaked, took four days in the sun to dry the thing....I dried the backing underlay and glued it back onto the carpet, worked good with spray adhesive......now back to square one since I caulked the crap outta the threshold with acoustic sealer and tape to build up the lip.....design is horrible, somehow it got in again...or it is coming from somewhere else but sure seems the back foot gets wet first.....maybe overhead light afterall.
I may just pull all that off and have a 1/4 inch strip welded under the threshold cover all along the back door to continue the sheet metal lip. Where did you guys drill the holes exactly, right where the lip ends :?: also gonna check the overhead brake light
"Doing things the hard way since 1963"
kus
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: kus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD LT 4.3L 3.73

Postby Jasen » December 2nd 2011, 4:05am

I had it coming in the third brake light. Removed the light, cleaned it all up, applied some silicone, let it dry to form a gasket and re installed the light.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby kus » December 2nd 2011, 4:14am

hi- thx. how'd you know it was coming from the friggen light?? did it drip down or run down the side somewhere?? I have not yet found a pathway but small puddles behind the new threshold I built up and no idea how it got there, grrrrrrr :x
kus
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: kus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full yearskus has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby kus » January 13th 2012, 5:45pm

After all my efforts = no luck. 4 feet of the underlay soaked again. Strangly is seems to start soaking more from the middle rear and work outward but I sealed the brake light overhead and the only signs of water drops I have actually seen on the metal are in the corners.....which made me suspect the tail lights. When it rains, the drip edge actually allows the water to drip inside from the open hatch, however designed the hatch should be shot or at least incarcerated for making many people miserable.

Does someone have a photo of their "drain holes"? My dam along the rear is pretty skookum so I don't think anything is crossing that....must be coming from the sides. Perhaps water gets siphoned up by the vinyl rubber cover as it runs down the sides of the door opening? Wish there was a way to track this.....thought about spreaking some chalk in back but man that would be messy...Anyone got any other ideas? Gonna drill some holes, the puddles in the corners make sense for the most logical source.....someone pls post a pic :?:
kus
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby earlman [OP] » January 31st 2012, 8:28pm

1 year post caulk update
:ty: ... After a snowy winter, no leaks! Get out there with that tube of caulk. Get her good! No more wet floors for me!
Original Poster [OP]
earlman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby FishyBC » March 22nd 2012, 10:56pm

Does anyone have pictures of where they caulked ? I am seeing that my seals are deteriorating and the water is starting to show up near the anchor mounts in the very back.
Would love to not have to recreate the wheel when it comes to fixing this.
Thanks
Pat
FishyBC
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: FishyBC has been a member for 10 full yearsFishyBC has been a member for 10 full yearsFishyBC has been a member for 10 full yearsFishyBC has been a member for 10 full yearsFishyBC has been a member for 10 full yearsFishyBC has been a member for 10 full yearsFishyBC has been a member for 10 full yearsFishyBC has been a member for 10 full yearsFishyBC has been a member for 10 full yearsFishyBC has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): FishyBC

Postby kus » March 24th 2012, 4:19am

I drilled the two quarter inch holes in each corner, substantial reduction if not elimination of the leak, not entirely sure as some water alwasy drips in when you open the door or blows in but underlay now dry for weeks....and it's been pouring....and snowing. all good it seems.
kus
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » March 24th 2012, 4:47pm

Hey Kus, here's what I did with mine last week:

I picked up some Metro Moulded Parts http://www.metrommp.com/ butyl rubber, generic weatherstip and 3M weatherstrip adhesive from Autozone.

I installed the weatherstrip between across the floor between where the gasket ends on each side and glued it with the 3M adhesive and also filled in where it meets the gasket so water can't get through. On the back side, you can't see it under the carpet, I laid a strip of butyl rubber to back the weatherstrip and give it another layer of protection. I also drilled 1/4" holes on each side after seeing where the water comes in and gets past the seals. Before reinstalling the plastic trim, I cut the little support nubs off the backside of the trim so it sits down on the new rubber weatherstrip and doesn't leave those big impressions in it.

I had some gray foam weatherstrip so I put that on the front side just to block water from going all the way across and to better seal and reduce the gap under the trim piece.

This rubber moulding on the side and the door is where water is making the transition to inside and starts running down the inside of the door and into the interior so I pulled the moulding up and resealed it with 3M adhesive.

The moulding was starting to separate so I sealed it here as well.

Last but not least, this upper weatherstrip that's riveted in place was allowing water to seep through and drip inside, annoying when opening the hatch for sure. I pulled the trim and knocked the heads off the rivets with a chisel and prepped the surface. I reinstalled with liberal amount of 3M goop and riveted back into place and taped down to get a good seal while setting up.

I may go back and lift the top and squirt a bit more sealant but this is a noticeable improvement, not having water spill into the van when opening the hatch.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby [email protected] » June 1st 2017, 4:55am

I'm doing this now, guided by your method. Just cleaned off all the old stuff with mineral spirits, drilled and painted the holes on either side and am ready to seal. Where on earth did you find big D weather stripping without the adhesive strip on it?
[email protected]
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: lemutt81@gmail.com has been a member for 3 full yearslemutt81@gmail.com has been a member for 3 full yearslemutt81@gmail.com has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003

Postby TurnNburn » June 1st 2017, 6:08am

[email protected] wrote:Where on earth did you find big D weather stripping without the adhesive strip on it?

My guess is China...
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby five10freak » June 2nd 2017, 5:39am

I am chasing this very problem now with a soaked carpet. Originally thought it was the rear AC, but checked that today and found the drain line clear and unobstructed, did seal up some small holes I had made some time ago.

So I decided to check the dutch door and glass seals. On a quick look, everything looked good...... then I touched the glass seal and they basically fell off,lol. Didn't have any good adhesive on hand but did have some silicone. So I silicone glued the seal back on and closed the glass so the silicone can set. I will check them tomorrow and also check the dutch door seals as well as drilling 1/4" drain holes in each corner.

my lovely seals

five10freak
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: five10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full yearsfive10freak has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): five10freak
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD