Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Swapping in Conversion van T windows with screen

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  BuddyHuggs 
#1 ·
]Hi everybody. I'm curious if anyone has replaced their standard rear windows with those fitted to conversion vans that have the sliding screen option. I've seen quite a few like this that appear to be of a different dimension:

[attachment=0]converson.jpg[/attachment

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You would have to cut your body to fit those windows.

Conversion vans start as cargo vans. The conversion companies then paid Joe Schmo minimum wage to hacksall the body to fit whatever windows they felt like throwing in there.

Take a body panel off one of those sometime and see how they cut stuff...I'd not do that to my van.

#3 ·
I put in T sliders but not like those that cut down below the midline. Mine are about the size of the stock windows. I did not mount mine using the conventional method...which requires building a wood frame?!! F that.

T slider in cargo door:

Slider in drivers side:

I didn't use the junk they came with for installation. I just riveted them on:

NOT an easy install.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info folks. I'd really prefer not to cut the body whenever possible. At my experience level the possibility of mistakes really outweighs any cool factor.

So while I haven't given up on replacing a couple Windows, for now I think I'll try option B: a removable, soft frame screen I can simply press into the barn door window frame while its open. Last summer I took a position w my old company that had me camping out all around Glacier National Park, and Ole Girl got stuffy while I slept!

Any suggestions or advice are welcome. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.