Swapping Van Bodies

Swapping Van Bodies

Postby b00duh [OP] » February 24th 2016, 6:04pm

Question for you guys, I tried searching but couldn't find anything that really describes what I'm thinking about doing.

I currently have 2 vans, one is a '94 safari xt awd and the other is a '92 safari xt rwd with a towing package. The rust on the '92 is really bad; the body is pretty much done on it because the rockers are totally eaten away. But, mechanically the van is in pristine condition and the whole frame and subframe have been coated to prevent rust. The '94 is starting to rust away but it is easily manageable by myself. Unfortunately, the awd system on the '94 is toast and I'm sitting on the fence on whether to rebuild the transfer case or not. So, I've been thinking about swapping the van bodies from one van to the other and putting in an lsd on the '92.

Anyone know how hard of a process would it be to swap van bodies?
Original Poster [OP]
b00duh
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: b00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • top teethers for Astro Van
    by Fadonc » September 14th 2020, 3:17pm in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    September 18th 2020, 12:21am
  • duplicolor truck bedliner paint to paint whole van?
    by joseluisrivera » October 24th 2020, 4:27pm in Exterior
    3 Replies
    Last post by Rockridge View the latest post
    November 10th 2020, 11:54pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 1st 2021, 7:10am

Re: Swapping Van Bodies

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » February 24th 2016, 6:44pm

Swapping out the sub frame can be done with a Cherry picker roll your subframe out and roll your another one in.

Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby b00duh [OP] » February 24th 2016, 6:47pm

I was thinking of going that route as well, but I was worried about the awd rear end mating with the rwd drivetrain. From what I've read, I would need to swap those as well since I was thinking of putting an lsd in the rear.
Original Poster [OP]
b00duh
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: b00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » February 24th 2016, 7:03pm

You might have to do a two step process.
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby chevymaher » February 24th 2016, 7:27pm

b00duh wrote:I was thinking of going that route as well, but I was worried about the awd rear end mating with the rwd drivetrain. From what I've read, I would need to swap those as well since I was thinking of putting an lsd in the rear.

Use the driveshaft to the subframe donar. You got 2 drive shafts one for a awd and one for rwd. Use the rwd shaft and it bolts right up. They just 2 different lengths.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby markmitch » February 24th 2016, 7:34pm

I agree swap out the complete front frame assembly and the drive shaft from the 92 to the 94, check the gear ratios in both and pick the best one for your needs and swap the rear axle later if needed. However I recommend if you have the room to keep the AWD front frame , drive shaft and rear axle in case you wish to go back to AWD in the future.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby b00duh [OP] » February 25th 2016, 4:24pm

Thanks for all the information guys. I'll do the front frame swap from the looks of it. I'll take a bunch of the newer parts from the '94 that I recently installed and put them on the donor engine. I'll leave the rear end intact for now but swap later once I get the parts for the lsd installed. I know that I will need that rear end at some point since I tow my trailer quite often and it is a little on the heavy side since it's the rear half of an old dodge pick-up. Lol.
Original Poster [OP]
b00duh
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 97cargocrawler » February 25th 2016, 5:20pm

Why swap sub-frames? Swapping bodies sounds easier and more fun.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Astrofarian » February 25th 2016, 6:41pm

LSD? Even here in Manitoba, that stuff's illegal no matter WHERE you're sitting. I checked (30 years ago, mind you lol)
Gen 1 vans are pretty cheap....is it worthwhile to do what you're thinking of? The van, NOT the LSD!!
-Mike-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby markmitch » February 25th 2016, 7:28pm

funny you should say that Mike cause I wondered what that meant too, then I realized what he was saying LSD= limited slip differential) lol good call to keep the second rear axle to rebuild later I wish I kept the one I had for the same reason but at the time I was prepping to move across country and never even thought about it.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years

Postby b00duh [OP] » February 25th 2016, 7:41pm

97cargocrawler wrote:Why swap sub-frames? Swapping bodies sounds easier and more fun.

That's what I was thinking with this project. Disconnect anything connected to the body of the van, lift it off with my work forklift, then swap frames with the drivetrain all connected. Button it all back up and hope for the best. Lol.

Astrofarian wrote:LSD? Even here in Manitoba, that stuff's illegal no matter WHERE you're sitting. I checked (30 years ago, mind you lol)
Gen 1 vans are pretty cheap....is it worthwhile to do what you're thinking of? The van, NOT the LSD!!
-Mike-

I agree, they are cheap but a lot of them I've seen are rusted out. Is it worth it financially? Nope, just like any other vehicle project I've owned it just isn't. Cars are the worst things to sink money into. Lol. But is it enjoyable to do? Absolutely.

I figure, the awd is already toast so to replace or rebuild that is already a couple hundred to a couple thousand. But, with the body in decent shape I can do the body work and swap out the rusted out body on the rwd and call it a day. Sure, I lose the awd but a limited slip in the rear end will somewhat make up for it. Plus, I don't have to worry about the torsion bars in the front, which for some reason freaks me out that they will snap at some point while I'm driving. Lol.
Original Poster [OP]
b00duh
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby markmitch » February 25th 2016, 10:00pm

actually you will most likely need to swap the pcm and possibly the wring harness too, depending on the years cause the AWD is computer controlled isn't it?
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby b00duh [OP] » February 25th 2016, 10:47pm

markmitch wrote:actually you will most likely need to swap the pcm and possibly the wring harness too, depending on the years cause the AWD is computer controlled isn't it?

No, it isn't computer controlled. It's mechanical...I believe it's a borg warner 4472 on the '94.
Original Poster [OP]
b00duh
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby kennysmoke » February 26th 2016, 12:51am

b00duh wrote:
97cargocrawler wrote:Why swap sub-frames? Swapping bodies sounds easier and more fun.

That's what I was thinking with this project. Disconnect anything connected to the body of the van, lift it off with my work forklift, then swap frames with the drivetrain all connected. Button it all back up and hope for the best. Lol.

Astrofarian wrote:LSD? Even here in Manitoba, that stuff's illegal no matter WHERE you're sitting. I checked (30 years ago, mind you lol)
-Mike-

I agree, they are cheap but a lot of them I've seen are rusted out. Is it worth it financially? Nope, just like any other vehicle project I've owned it just isn't. Cars are the worst things to sink money into. Lol. But is it enjoyable to do? Absolutely.

I figure, the awd is already toast so to replace or rebuild that is already a couple hundred to a couple thousand. But, with the body in decent shape I can do the body work and swap out the rusted out body on the rwd and call it a day. Sure, I lose the awd but a limited slip in the rear end will somewhat make up for it. Plus, I don't have to worry about the torsion bars in the front, which for some reason freaks me out that they will snap at some point while I'm driving. Lol.

Ok... maybe I'm missing something here? Isn't everything other than the front subframe a unibody? There isn't a full frame the whole length of the van... right? So isn't swapping out the subframe and complete drive train the only real option?
"Live Free Or Die" Image
kennysmoke
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): kennysmoke
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD Tow Pakage

Postby markmitch » February 26th 2016, 3:19am

I agree
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby b00duh [OP] » March 21st 2016, 3:55pm

Okay, so the weather finally let up and had time to check over the parts van and realized that it has the GT4 and G80 rear end. With it being a '92 and my awd being a '94 I know that they are both Gen 1 vans, so I'm assuming the subrames and rear ends would swap out easily or am I having to deal with the headache of having to change things since I'm thinking of switching from awd to rwd? I know that I will have to use the driveshaft from the rwd setup.

From what I've read on some posts, it looks like the steering linkage are different lengths...is this correct?
Original Poster [OP]
b00duh
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » March 21st 2016, 4:13pm

b00duh wrote:
... or am I having to deal with the headache of having to change things...

You're swapping an entire body onto the subframe/engine of another van. I hardly think I'd consider something like a steering intermediate shaft to be a "headache". Certainly swapping drive shafts is simple.

Look at it like you now have the OPPORTUNITY to replace/rebuild small and inaccessible parts and assemblies that you can reach and optomize. Motor mounts, oil pan, water pump, rear main seals, all the stuff that is pretty difficult to reach while the van is intact. THAT kind of stuff is what I'd consider to be headache provoking.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby b00duh [OP] » March 21st 2016, 4:59pm

Sorry, I should have worded that a little more accurately. What I was meaning is there any custom fabrication I would have to undergo with the body. The engine on the '92 was freshened up last year with a new thermostat, fuel pressure regulator, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, distributor cap, oil and cooler lines, etc. The only thing that hasn't been freshened up on the '92 was the front suspension, so I was going to freshen that up along with all mounts.
Original Poster [OP]
b00duh
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » March 21st 2016, 5:01pm

You might have to swap the link from the steering column to the gearbox, but it does have some play in it...you may not have to worry about it. It's going to have to be disconnected from both vans anyway though, so I'd just take them both off and measure each...use the one that makes the most sense. Don't forget to mark the location so you don't have a crooked steering wheel.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby b00duh [OP] » March 21st 2016, 5:05pm

redfury wrote:You might have to swap the link from the steering column to the gearbox, but it does have some play in it...you may not have to worry about it. It's going to have to be disconnected from both vans anyway though, so I'd just take them both off and measure each...use the one that makes the most sense. Don't forget to mark the location so you don't have a crooked steering wheel.

Thanks, Redfury. I'll make sure to do that.
Original Poster [OP]
b00duh
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Next