I cannot open my back door!

I cannot open my back door!

Postby defnotlurkin [OP] » April 5th 2016, 4:12am

Hello, new to the forum..great to be here with all of you fine and knowledgable folks!

My back door has no key access to lift the latch or handle to lift the latch so the doors cannot be opened.

Someone mentioned a button on the dash in another post but I have no button.

Please Please Please help me

2000 Astrovan AWD
Original Poster [OP]
defnotlurkin
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: defnotlurkin has been a member for 4 full yearsdefnotlurkin has been a member for 4 full yearsdefnotlurkin has been a member for 4 full yearsdefnotlurkin has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rear bottom door wont open
    by Diablo_deth » January 2nd 2021, 7:42am in Exterior
    1 Replies
    Last post by Rod's Trucks View the latest post
    January 2nd 2021, 8:23am
  • Dutch door handle part number?
    by Coyotecamper » September 7th 2020, 4:53am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by Coyotecamper View the latest post
    September 7th 2020, 8:15pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 25th 2021, 8:57am

Re: I cannot open my back door!

Postby HotWire » April 5th 2016, 4:43am

You either have to rear doors or three.........which one are you trying to open? Pictures would help. Do you have an exterior button that is not working? Can you access the mechanism from inside the vehicle via a trim panel?

Good luck.
HotWire
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: HotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby defnotlurkin [OP] » April 5th 2016, 5:02am

I have 3, one that opens up and two that open out. I cannot open the two on the bottom because the one that opens up has to be opened first but it has no exterior button or handle, how would I go about trying to open it from the inside?
Original Poster [OP]
defnotlurkin
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: defnotlurkin has been a member for 4 full yearsdefnotlurkin has been a member for 4 full yearsdefnotlurkin has been a member for 4 full yearsdefnotlurkin has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby Birdshake » April 5th 2016, 6:36am

Pop the interior trim off and rotate the motor that has to two rods attached to it and the liftgate should pop up. I did it a few years ago when one of the rods popped off the actuator.
2005 4WD Astro Cargo
NP236 3.73 Eaton Posi
S10 HD Springs 3" blocks
245/75/16 BFG KO2
KYB Monomax
Birdshake
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Birdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full yearsBirdshake has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby MI_Ghost » April 5th 2016, 9:10am

For the top lift hatch remove the interior handle. This will expose the linkage.
Then take a flat blade screwdriver to slide the linkage towards the passenger side to release the latch.

For the bottom half doors remove the passenger side trim panel, To the right of the plate bucket you will see a lever that needs to be pushed downward to release the latch.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby RECox286 » April 5th 2016, 2:58pm

The upper dutch door (hatch) release motor is just that, a motor. It usually will unlatch by using the door

key cylinder that is located in the license plate trim plate of the lower right hand door. If your truck is

equipped with a cabin switch it will be up front in the dash, possibly near an air vent. If you have no

release at either of those two possibilities, then check the DM fuse, especially if the dome light isn't

working. If the light works, there is always the possibility of a wiring problem between the front and back.

Good hunting and welcome to our insanity.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby jamierarity » May 10th 2016, 9:58pm

Birdshake wrote:Pop the interior trim off and rotate the motor that has to two rods attached to it and the liftgate should pop up. I did it a few years ago when one of the rods popped off the actuator.

i am having a similar problem. the key can't open the hatch, and while i have the dash button it doesn't work. if i turn the rods you mentioned then it opens. what can I do to fix this?
jamierarity
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jamierarity has been a member for 4 full yearsjamierarity has been a member for 4 full yearsjamierarity has been a member for 4 full yearsjamierarity has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995