Mike's 1992 Astro Resurrection / Bucket List

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Mike's 1992 Astro Resurrection / Bucket List

Postby sixsix [OP] » September 7th 2020, 5:35pm

Astroratsun wrote:Thanks for the build Mike, was very informative.... sound proofed my doors earlier this year, this site has been very helpful for all the things I've done either because I had to or wanted too; and thinking maybe we all should get rid of our cell phones, might make life a little easier.

I Appreciate the notice - Here's to wishing I had more Gen II stuff for X-ref.

This web site is the Best Resource and has helped me, too - cuz' it's nice when a plan comes together.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1989- RS to 4x4 swap list
    by markmitch » September 12th 2020, 4:27pm in Projects/Builds
    12 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    September 19th 2020, 4:47pm
  • Fastro MK-II My 1992 383 build
    by Mr_Roboto » March 26th 2020, 2:26am in Projects/Builds
    54 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    June 28th 2020, 1:41am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 22nd 2020, 6:55pm

Postby sixsix [OP] » September 12th 2020, 2:54am

When we left off, I had cleaned up the Passenger Window Motor End Cap, Bushing & Brush Holder.

Again - I have more time than anything and would gladly have changed the Motor out altogether.
If it even "Thinks about Fooling Around" - out it comes ...
- and a Brand New Augi / Malaysian/Chinese/Taiwan/Mexico Special goes in.

Like the Driver's side, it seemed to be slowing down, but not stopping completely & it works fine & quiet.
I Soldered both ends of it's Bi-metal Circuit Breaker.
This CB is a slow blow auto-resetting type for when an up/dn button is held too long.
A slow, tired motor with plenty bits of life left ( not unlike myself... sorta' ) or dirty tracks, need for clean & grease or any number of items that will tax the Motor a bit.

I removed a glob of solder, smoothed things out on both sides - managed to not melt too much Nylon.

1882 End Cap Cleanup - cont chk
One thing I forgot to check was the continuity of the soldered ends - one end is hinged slightly.
Wrung out just fine - hating the chirping pos meter. Good meter, orange chirp bad.

After looking at the piece of Work Augi got, thought I would post up my own "Window Motor Glamour Set".

1884 Motor view back overall

1886 Motor view back Delco close

1887 Motor view front gear close

1888 Motor view front overall

The goal from here on is, like the Driver's side, clean, sound deaden, lube, grease, etc.
I will be looking for a method of removing the Latch mechanism ...
- w/o removing Every Single Thing Left in there, Handle, Lock and their rods and retainers.

Here's 3 pics for ref just before the Motor and Wiring was removed/moved:

1890 Pass Rod Locations Foam pad
Yellow - "Intact Foam Pad w/ Plastic Facing" still pliable and capable of it's intended purpose... QUIET.
Red - points to real bear of a Rod Retainer that is hidden behind the Handle lever.

1891 Pass Rods Arm Rest Lock module
Red - two bottom Arm Rest rivets - Instead of drilling, I punched the steel center out with an 1/8" drift.
Then used a "Cold Chisel" to blast thru the alum rivet.

1893 Pass Latch - Access Hole
Latch Mechanism is by far, the grimiest part of the Door.
Still considering drilling an access hole for the Top Door Handle Nut R&R.
Red arrow - Lock Rod still in Lever. Bottom Rod ( Handle ) has a area of blue spray paint for ID.
Yellow is the tip of the Lock Module.

We'll get the rest apart tomorrow

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby chevymaher » September 12th 2020, 1:28pm

It will last forever once your done.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby sixsix [OP] » September 12th 2020, 6:42pm

chevymaher wrote:It will last forever once your done.

Ha, ha - just what I need... something else that will live past me.

Back to the Passenger Door:

1895 Pass Rivets Rods off Lock Off
The Rods need to come out from behind the Arm Rest Support and from the top "Capture Fingers" of the Lever.
Actuator Rod removed from the Lock Lever to keep it from moving around. I am leaving the Lock Module in there, if not in the way.

1895 Pass Rivets Rods off Lock Off

Finally figured it out - the weird difference: When I click on the 2nd Pic and + to enlarge - it goes to a small long box at the top of the page

I always wondered what the difference was in some of the uploaded files and how they are displayed, selected and enlarged.
The First one is directly from the Album View with the Large Pic in the middle and the previous and next pic shown in the upper corners.
The Second Pic above is from Selecting, then enlarging it by hitting the little ( nearly invisible ) boxed "Plus Sign" in the top left corner.
In both cases, Rt. Clicked on pic, then chose "Copy image address".
All my Album pics are posted with the [img] feature.

Since I am on the topic of Posted or Attached Photos - there does not seem to be much consistency in uploaded attach files.
Some you see a title, some not, some show up in "quote", some do not.
The "Attach" feature has to be one of the most frustrating features offered by the site.
Lacks intuition and professionalism.

But... like that uncle no one wants to be around, but he takes care of aunt honey ok...
- we have UPLOAD ATTACHMENT and enjoy the tor(ment and ture) everytime we use and recommend it.

On to the rest:

1897 Pass Rods and Swivel Guides Arm Rest
Previous pic showed the Rods hanging down from the Foam Pad and out of the Lock Lever.
Yellow Arrows - Under the Arm Rest Support are two "Rotating Rod Guides".
A decent amount of pull is req'd. to pop these out of the fingers.
They help keep Rod Flop Noise ( also a local garage band here ) down.

1900 Pass Door Lock cyl and Handle Bot
Being ready to start pulling stuff out - here is the view of the back end of the Lock Cylinder.
Red Arrow - Trying to remember which is the easier to do - pull off the usual metal Rod Retainer ...
- or the Cyl. Lever on the inside/back of the Lock Cyl.
Yellow - that is the Bottom bolt/nut of the Outside Handle. 3.25/3.5" ( cannot recall ) up is the other one.

Wondering if I can pull the Lock Cyl. Retainer keeping it in the Door will allow me to pull a retainer easier from the outside than trying to do it from this position using my Rt. or Left hand - the ambidextrous one here is saying...

1899 Pass Door needs a major steam clean
Well, the area covering the Mirror elecs and 2 of the 3 fasteners needs a new piece of sound deadener.
Steam Clean... well, maybe not, but a good scrubbing and alcohol prep is in order.

I live in a country that feels comfortable advertising a 1908 $20 Gold Piece Saint Gaudens "No Motto" coin for over $3400.
THEN CHARGE Shipping & Handling EXTRA.

Well, the Door... next we pull the Door Latch Mechanism, then dunk, blow and grease the Bad Girl.

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby sixsix [OP] » September 16th 2020, 3:03am

Last we looked - I labeled the Lock Cylinder and looked at either removing the Retainer for the Lock Rod ...
- or remove the "Strange" UNK retainer on the end of the Cylinder that holds the Lever on.

1901 Pass Door Lock Cyl Retainer
This heavy gauge, overtly strong, stubborn 28 year old gal in the Blue Arrow Outfit...
Yeah, we had words, mostly from me... mostly never heard on earth.

Seemed there was a "push the rnd tab, press back on tips"... routine, but left hand / arm would not work as well or fast.
Right arm inside / on Driver's door - not so bad. This side took small vise grips on the pointed to tab & prying back.
Screwdriver pushing the 1 end tab I could get to. Holding one leg up, etc, etc.

I really would like to change sides with the Lock Cylinder from the Driver's side.

1902 Pass Handle Nuts & Latch
The bottom 10mm nut is easy - straight thru the 1" covered access hole.
3.375" up is the other one - not much clearance to work with ...
- if you have not drilled a 1" ( or so ) hole to access it with a socket.
I do not own a 10mm ratcheting box wrench, but THAT would have DEFINITELY made this job easier.

1904 Pass Handle Upper Nut & Latch
I remembered from the other door - If I pulled the 3 screws...
- the Latch mech. can be moved enough to allow a slim socket and extension. ( Red Arrows in these 2 pics )
Again, no hole to drill - I do not expect to have to do this **** again in this lifetime.

But, hey, hey, it's fun. Right?

1906 Pass Handle both Nuts Removal
Yup, both nuts ( Yellow ) are available for removal now.
Nothing dramatic and not easy - getting things out of the way - just wiggle Rods & Latch till 'Daylight'.

1913 Pass Dr Handle Spring loose
As soon as I pulled the Handle body clear of the door to release the Rod going to the Latch ( Yellow Arrow ) ...
- The Spring ( Red Arrow ) popped off the Actuator Arm - you can see it's track ...( Red Box ).
I'll get that back on later - I hope.

1908 Pass Hndl Rod removal & retr
To pull the Latch Assembly, I removed the Inside Handle Rod ( Yellow ) / ******* Retainer ( but - they do work maddeningly well ) ( Red ) to make it easier to work down from the opening.
The other Rod - for the Lock - I can't reach yet.

1910 Pass Dr Lock Rod and Latch
Guess I was really tired, but finagling this Latch, down and out was a trick ...
- and took a bit of tongue holding and hoop jumping LOL

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

1915 Pass Dr Key Lock Cyl Hndl & Latch
Out of position and not belonging at all is the Short Rod ( Red Arrow ).
The Yellow Arrow is the Key Lock Rod.

Tomorrow, with time and good light, I will get closer pics of the Lock Cyl and the Lever / Retainer gadget.
Cleanup day, too - most gets Mike's Karwash & Kustom Kerosene Bubble & Bath & Blow.
Better shots of the Complicated Latch Mech. Pretty interesting, it's operation, like a good coaster brake or derailleur.

Then on to "The Grease Rack", queue up for reassembly, which follows Door Shell Cleanup and everything else.

Here's 3 pics of the Outside Handle and a few views of the Spring Catch and End.
It was a real HASSLE getting it around the right side and over the Lever edge ...
- Sucker is Strong and Spunky for it's size, shape and age. Silly thing, resisting and all to the very end...

1917 Pass Dr Handle Spring assy
Yellow Arrow - Spring "Catch", Blue is the Spring "End".

1919 Pass Dr Handle Spring assy 2
Blue is the Catch wrapped around the Lever.

1921 Pass Dr Handle Spring assy 3
Yellow - again, is the Spring Catch , Blue - End.

Handle seems to be just fine, none the worse for wear and still sits in the Door Pocket just fine.
Till next time...

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby sixsix [OP] » September 17th 2020, 10:58pm

Close ups of the Lock Cylinder & Pics of the Latch / Associated Rods.

Set up for the Driver or Passenger Sides - Latch Actuator Lever.

1922 Pass Key Lock Cyl & Key
Magenta Arrow points to the Slot on both sides of inner Cyl. shaft. This for the Retainer to slide into.
There is no mistaking how the "Symetrical Lever" is to sit over the Center Shaft of the Key Cyl.
When the Key is inserted / pointed "teeth down", it slips into the Lock.

1924 Pass Key Lock Cyl & Rod Lever
The Lever at this point can be put on either way - Driver or Passenger.

1926 Pass Key Lock Cyl Lever & Retainer
Red points to the Retainer Point that locates in a Hole in the Lever.

1928 Pass Key Lock Cyl Retainer Slide back
Here you can see the narrowing of the Retainer Slot as it slides into the Slots of the Cyl.

Sexy talk, now...

1930 Pass Key Lever Retainer in Position
Retainer Point sitting in Hole - Locked.

Still has at least 20 degress of Lost Motion from the Key Turn to the Rod moving in the Latch.
Lever is also fairly loose axially to the shaft - putting a Bend Into the Retainer will take up some slack.
A shim in the Retainer may help eliminate some radial play.

With this the least used Lock, ( maybe back door is tighter ) there probably is not going to be any better setup.

1931 Pass Key Lock Cylinder assy Parts

Here's all the parts - ******* Lock Cyl. Retainer, Flimsy Gasket and all.

Did I get it Orientation of the Lever correct for the Passenger Door...?
No fair going back to the last Post...!!!

Now the Magnificent Door Latching Assembly "Big *** XXX Cleanup"
1933 Pass Dr Latch Handle Rods Kerosene Sauna arrangement

Thing was pretty dirty or ugly dirty or dirty as **** or downright filthy or ... it was a stinkin' mess, I tell ya'.
I wore 2 pair of gloves, 1 pair on my ... well...

1935 Pass Dr Latch Handle Rods actual Position

The purpose ( or show of Lunacy ) here is to show the relation of the Various Components ( minus the Lock Module ) within the door.
The Handle is turned in the proper orientation ( sorta' ), the Rods are in their Proper Location.
Base of the Handle in proper rotation ( again. sorta' ) to the Door Face of the Latch.

1937 Pass Dr Latch Handle Rod Pos from Above
Without a holder or rack to hang the parts from - hard to see the relation or Rod Ends to Latch Conns.
Here the Yellow points out the real short Rod that connects to the Door Handle.

That's that one that's a ***** to do when swapping Handles.

Red is the 6 inch long Rod that connects to the Key Lock Cylinder Lever.

1939 Pass Dr Latch Handle Rod Pos from Side
Different view - here again, the Yellow points to the Handle actuator Rod.
Blue Arrow is the Locking Rod for the Interior Lock Slider - with it's "Sharp S curve" for the Door Lock Lever.

That Crook will be covered with Shrink Wrap / Rubber insulator to deaden lock noise a bit - similar to the White Rubber Coating used on the Gen II doors. The Door mounted Lock Lever "Fingers" will be coated also. Best I can, anyway.

1940 Pass Dr Latch from Afar & Plastic bits

Here's to the Rod Ends that never get any recognition - they never break, never wear out, never ask for a raise.
Some Don't Even Get Into Their Own Recognition Photograph Group Shot.

What are those rubbery, crumbly blacks things with the Red Circle?
They were not stuck to any magnet - they came out in the wash and tried to 'get lost' real quick and stealthy.
2 more things broke off and are still laying in the Kerosene Bath - as we speak or read or ramble... or ramble...

1942 Pass Dr Latch Plastic bits Close up

They don't look like Rod Bearings or Hose Clamps or the Rubber nubs on new hoses.
As I cleaned the Latch rather aggressively with a toothbrush and held my tongue right, 2 more retention knobby-like things fell into the Kerosene Tub of Disintegration.

I'll get after them tomorrow - keep tabs of all my small bits of anonymous rubber whatevers.

On other News...

"A Kidney Stone Thread" - wow, just wow. Can't wait to read about Cluster Heaache Med Lineup Topics and Oxygen Replenishment Equipment Show off threads. LOL really... sadly

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Postby stent » September 19th 2020, 1:37am

hi mike,
1940%20Pass%20Dr%20Latch%20from%20Afar%20%26%20Plastic%20bits.jpeg
mike's pool

i just scrolled through your last string of photos & with the quick glance i thought the tub in this pic was actually floating in a pool.
it's not even happy hour yet!! :text-woo:
stent
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: rwd cargo

Postby WoodButcher » September 20th 2020, 3:25am

Kidney stones circled in red?

:rofl:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby sixsix [OP] » September 20th 2020, 4:01am

:ty:

WoodButcher wrote:Kidney stones circled in red?

:rofl:

LOL, Floating Kidneys Stones Circled in Red in a Pool with Stent - Haha.

And they seem to be Circular & Repetitious...

DSCF5472.JPG
Multiplying Floating Kidney Stones

Oh my!!

Original Poster [OP]
sixsix

Previous