2000 Astro Camperized Battle Van

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 2000 Astro Camperized Battle Van

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » August 18th 2016, 9:09pm

I have thought about felt. I ruled it out as being to coarse and probably a pain in the butt to get all of the dirt out of it. I never actually went looking at fabric, but I suppose that if I found something that was really fine, perhaps speaker box carpet like Chevy Bow Tie did for his interior, which I like a lot. I just need to put some hands on some rolls and see what I think that would be better for our application.

Just picked up a couple of Interstate 210Ah 6v golf cart batteries. Im pretty positive this capacity is waaay more then we will need, but anything worth doing is worth over doing.

2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rorge Astro 2000 cargo build
    by rorgeastro » December 2nd 2020, 7:36am in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by rorgeastro View the latest post
    December 22nd 2020, 11:10pm
  • "B-Team" 2000 RWD Astro for Gambler 500
    by Jon Conrad » February 16th 2021, 7:53am in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by tungtide View the latest post
    February 16th 2021, 10:56pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 19th 2021, 7:37am

Postby WimpTech » August 19th 2016, 9:24pm

Speaker cloth sounds good too. I haven't had too much trouble with the felt, although it holds on to splinters and beach sand a little more than I would like.

Looking good buddy! Are you going to do the battery box ala CargoCrawler?
In case you aren't aware....
Running an inverter is always great, but some really suck, as is suck up power and suck at efficiency. Stay away from modified sine wave, which is basically alternating DC and the most common in retail. Pure sine is the way to go, but they are expensive. Check efficiency before you get anything and make sure it will meet your needs... like how long it will maintain surge current before overloading and shutting down, especially if you run an AC fridge (5 sec +).\
:2:
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » August 20th 2016, 12:57am

This van makes it to the beach often and with the dog its going to get dirty. Being able to keep it clean and stop us from getting splinters will be the top priorities.

I like CC's battery box. I wish I had seen that before I layed my floors down... would have made this step a lot easier to figure out. But I will probably use some 1'' angle iron I have laying around and build a little cage for them and then bolt them to the subframe or something like that.

I have had some unfortunate experiences with cheap inverters in the past and know better then to go down that road again. Pure sine for sure and at least 2000 watts. I haven't decided on one in particular but its probably going to be in the $250-300 range
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years

Postby WimpTech » August 20th 2016, 1:27am

AMEN brudda! Please post which ever one you go with, I'm looking into making one now with something called a 'Bubba Oscillator'... no I didn't make that up haha

WimpTech
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » August 30th 2016, 7:52pm

Just picked up this yesterday from amazon for $199 shipped. Was by far the best bang for the buck, had lot of good reviews, has a lot of nice safety features, and should give us tons of head room for feature electrical additions. I should have a decent amount of juice on hand so the inverter had to be capable of running anything I might throw at it.

Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby WimpTech » August 31st 2016, 11:43pm

HOLY CRAP that's exactly the one I was looking at too, please let me know how it works out, probably be cheaper than my home build anyways.

WimpTech

Postby WoodButcher » September 1st 2016, 4:08am

Hey Fluff!
I've been neglecting my welcomes,
Welcome! lol.
Nice work your doing and I like turtles too.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » September 17th 2016, 12:33am

Been a while since I have updated this and somehow missed your warm welcome woodbutcher. Been busy at work during the week and adventuring during the weekend. Finally got the bed situation figured out with some 3'' foam cut into 3 24x48 section with a kind of pillow case around them. And did the LED light conversion all of the way around. Plenty bright but are already starting to flicker as mentioned by others on here. Looking for a better option. And screwed on a lid with a latch for the driver side box, which is surprisingly roomy. And cut up the rear dutch doors and added some auxiliary space and cover up some of the bare metal. And added the extended rear brake like the corsomoto posted up earlier. That was a good excuse to flush the brake fluid. Holy gross fluid.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby WimpTech » September 17th 2016, 2:41am

OUTSTANDING!

WimpTech

Postby happyhourtx » October 1st 2016, 12:25am

nice build. cant wait to see pics of the inside finished. looking for ideas to build out my astro.
happyhourtx
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: happyhourtx has been a member for 4 full yearshappyhourtx has been a member for 4 full yearshappyhourtx has been a member for 4 full yearshappyhourtx has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mr Cup » October 1st 2016, 4:56am

Looks great. I like how you designed the bed/storage inside. I did something similar with my rear door and I think adding some mesh there will be a good quick place to stash a few things.

Quick question - Where did you find the headlights? I've been looking for some better sealed beams to put into my van. The ones I've got on there now are terrible. Are those decent at night? Thanks.
Mr Cup
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Mr Cup has been a member for 5 full yearsMr Cup has been a member for 5 full yearsMr Cup has been a member for 5 full yearsMr Cup has been a member for 5 full yearsMr Cup has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Cup

Postby MI_Ghost » October 1st 2016, 10:55am

Mr Cup wrote:Quick question - Where did you find the headlights? I've been looking for some better sealed beams to put into my van. The ones I've got on there now are terrible. Are those decent at night? Thanks.

I always dump the stock sealed beams for a set of sylvania silverstars. They are worlds better than regular halogen bulbs.
A little pricey at approx $25 each but well worth it at night! IMHO they are the best you will find in a sealed beam.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby Leeann_93 » October 1st 2016, 3:23pm

I get slightly better life from the Phillips X-Treme Vision headlights than the Sylvania Silverstars. The Sylvanias only last a year for me; the Phillips last closer to two.

Pep Boys carries the Phillips where Advance carries the Sylvanias - at least around me.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby MI_Ghost » October 1st 2016, 7:47pm

I have never been able to find the Phillips X-Treme Vision in a sealed beam bulb.
I will have to give them a try when I change over to the composite lights.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » October 3rd 2016, 5:11pm

Thanks! Just got back from camping up in the Eagle Cap wilderness for a few days and then another few days over in Hells Canyon area. We have spent several camping trips for just a couple of nights, but this was the first time we spent a week in there and there is definitely room for improvement. We really just need to find some totes that fit under the bed platform so we can make better use of that space. But so far so good.

I got the lights off of Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/GENSSI-Headlight ... headlights

BUT BUYER BEWARE....
These are wired for japenese cars. IE. they work off of switched power to control high beam, low beam function. And the Astro is wired for switched ground. So I had to spend a couple of hours adding my own pig tail and 2 relays per light. Once everything was said and done, low beam and high beam switch when they are supposed to and when high beams are on the dash light comes on. I can no longer turn them off with the switch anymore, but that's ok with me.

They are great at night! Pretty bright even in low beam, and high beam is just ridiculous. A huge improvement over stock but took some head scratching to get them to work. Perhaps there is a more bolt in application that doesn't require the modification but when I was looking couldn't find any info out there regarding this problem.
Last edited by TurnNburn on October 3rd 2016, 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » October 3rd 2016, 5:23pm

I recently discovered that I did not include enough space for a mini fridge like I have been planning all along. when designing the interior I focused on maximum bed space and storage as possible and unfortunately just assumed a mini fridge would fit in the left over space. So I ended picking up this cooler for $60 new in box off of craigslist. I have seen a few of them on here, I think I saw wimpy has one? I wanted a real fridge but since that plan was out, this was the next best thing. I was a little apprehensive about it, but wow, this thing rocks. Leaving plugged in(12 volts) all of the time except at night while we slept (for energy usage, not because of noise. Its actually very quiet) for 7 days and the ice packs we put in there from home were still half frozen!

Aaaaand it happens to fit in the left over space where the fridge was supposed to go. I like that it can be placed horizontal as a cooler or vertical like a fridge. I like the fridge idea but just holds so much more as a cooler, so I think I will keep it that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Quart-Po ... +TE+cooler

Will post some pictures of it in camper mode later, Misty is out at my buddies house getting her new bumper and swing out tire carrier mocked up for install. Cant wait!
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » October 16th 2016, 5:42am

The weather here has been pretty wet the last few weekends, so no camping for us. But there is a flip side, more wrenching on the van! And we have been busy. Did the wimpytech front bumper mod to get rid of the mini van look from the front and finally finished the rear bumper and swing out tire carrier. Spent more time mocking things up and measuring then the actual cutting and welding but it is simple and functional. A 2x6 beam with some 2x2 square tube and a DIY rim plate. With 2 5 gallon jerry cans for, well, more fun!

Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby WimpTech » October 16th 2016, 7:31am

:rockon:
That is frickin AWESOME Blake! (Thx for the shout out too).
I am a fan of the jeep style bumper carriers over door mount, the offset will also let tippy pip the glass open workout swinging the tire out...well played sir.

WimpTech

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » October 16th 2016, 4:51pm

Being able to open the glass without opening the swing was critical! The glass clears by several inches, even if there weren't plans for Jerry cans and the tire was pushed forward so that it was flush with the bumper it would still clear. And in the 110 degree open position the left door opens all of the way to the check strap. It's a pretty simple setup but keeps the practically of the Dutch doors intact and is pretty stout. Last night just to make sure it was as strong enough I sat on the tire and my wife swung the gate open, no problem.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby Lumpy » October 19th 2016, 9:17pm

MI_Ghost wrote:
I always dump the stock sealed beams for a set of sylvania silverstars. They are worlds better than regular halogen bulbs...

Silverstars. Plain, old, regular bulbs with a blue coating that reduces some of the light output. Pretty well described, tested and documented over the last couple of decades or so.

Yet the ad hype lives on. Sexy pics of long legged loca's swooning around gang banger guys with Silverstars in their ricers. Parked somewhere with their headlights on.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

PreviousNext