2000 Astro Camperized Battle Van

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 2000 Astro Camperized Battle Van

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » October 20th 2016, 5:37am

Soooo what your saying is pony up and get some LEDS?! They cost as much as some of those euro style "sealed beams" that have replaceable bulbs but last for basically forever. Theoretically. 60000 hours they the say. Although the are really bright I have still yet to be flashed. Kind of annoying to wire up. It's all covered in electrical tape but I can show people what I did if someone asks.
Last edited by TurnNburn on October 20th 2016, 5:51am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rorge Astro 2000 cargo build
    by rorgeastro » December 2nd 2020, 7:36am in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by rorgeastro View the latest post
    December 22nd 2020, 11:10pm
  • "B-Team" 2000 RWD Astro for Gambler 500
    by Jon Conrad » February 16th 2021, 7:53am in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by tungtide View the latest post
    February 16th 2021, 10:56pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 19th 2021, 6:53am

Postby WimpTech » October 20th 2016, 5:40am

Looked plenty bright to me bro
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » October 20th 2016, 6:05am

"don't look into the light"
"I cant help it"
I once saw something in the road and flashed my high beams to get a better view... and then an owl that was sitting in the road burst into flames...
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Lumpy » October 20th 2016, 8:22am

TurnNburn wrote:Soooo what your saying is pony up and get some LEDS?! ...

Uh, no. I didn't say that.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » October 20th 2016, 5:09pm

wink wink, nudge nudge... say no more
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » November 1st 2016, 11:50pm

After what seams like a week of straight rain I was finally able to get my jerry cans mounted up to the swing out today. I will probably end up attaching the 2 holders at the bottom with some sort of thin sheet metal or something. I would like them to be a bit more stable since because of the space available for them, they weren't able to rest on the swing arm itself, but for now I have an additional 10 gallons to tap into.

Now that I have a full size spare, time to throw on the Hi-Lift. Until I figure out a way to mount to the swing out its going up on the basket. The man I bought it from said he had it for 30 years and only used it to lift his trailer onto the hitch of his truck. This thing is older then I am buy a couple of years at least. The mechanism is pretty bulky and large compared to a brand new Hi-Lift but all of the components function the same. After a couple of minutes pulling everything apart and regreasing all of the moving parts its ready to roll again. A part of me wants to paint it to make it look nicer again but most of me want to keep it original. For now it stays OEM blue.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby Tegnus » November 1st 2016, 11:55pm

I am a rare visitor here now, but every time when I notice a new van build and somebody actually using not just building it and dreaming about adventure, I feel our machines are used for a good purpose.

Nice build and adventurous travels! ;)
2004 Astro AWD (Astrid), 3" Lift, BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT225/75R16, Tru-Cool LPD-4490 Trans cooler, ARB Awning 2500 (ARB4401A)

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram | Check out the build of our 2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"
Tegnus
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Tegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » November 2nd 2016, 12:21am

Thanks! I have no doubt that the stock van is a very capable vehicle. But every time we use this van we think to ourselves, "if we had a little bit more lift we could have gotten there", "four low would have made that decent a lot less white knuckle", or "if we had a bit more fuel we could have gone the scenic way home", or "if we had a bed in the back of this thing we could have slept inside instead of sleeping in a soaking wet tent in a rain storm". The necessity of progress has improved our experience ten fold and has been a bonding experience for the both of us. Both to each other, and us to the van.

Although this van is mostly done being built, it has many more adventures in its future. We appreciate the kind words and hope that it inspires someone else to get out there and make it happen for themselves.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby HotWire » November 2nd 2016, 12:40am

Now that I have a full size spare, time to throw on the Hi-Lift. Until I figure out a way to mount to the swing out its going up on the basket. The man I bought it from said he had it for 30 years and only used it to lift his trailer onto the hitch of his truck. This thing is older then I am buy a couple of years at least. The mechanism is pretty bulky and large compared to a brand new Hi-Lift but all of the components function the same. After a couple of minutes pulling everything apart and regreasing all of the moving parts its ready to roll again. A part of me wants to paint it to make it look nicer again but most of me want to keep it original. For now it stays OEM blue.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 576 x 1024)Image

What do you plan on using as lift points? I've considered getting a Hi-Lift myself, but the lift arm is way too short to hit frame or axle/spring hangers on my van. I guess your rear bumper will work for the back.

UP front?
HotWire
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: HotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » November 2nd 2016, 6:01am

That is a great question! And something for people to consider if they are getting a hi lift. The rear bumper is welded to the class 3 hitch so it is more then stout enough to lift from, even from the edge of one side. Since I have the Jeep front bumper I can lift it from there on flat ground, i did try this to verify it would work. And since the Jeep bumper doesn't wrap all of the way around to the fender, it does expose the perfect area of frame to lift from. I have not tried from this spot yet. I would like to add some stronger lift points on the sides. Something like some rock sliders that integrates the front and rear sub frames together. I have seen that somewhere else on here and thought that was a great idea! Not just for lift points, but to strengthen the chassis.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » November 3rd 2016, 5:33pm

With more good weather I was able to spend some time under the van today and install my t-case shifter. Its not awesome or clean looking compared to Hotwires, but it does shift into 4 wheel drive without having to crawl under the van with a 9/16 open ended wrench anymore.

I used the stock rubber pivot point of a jeep 233 t case and drilled the appropriate hole into the end of some steel bar stock. Then I drilled a hole at the other end and used a flat file to eventually get the right size to be able to press it onto the t-case.

The lever part is about 7 inches long and it does take some effort to shift. But not to bad. If I had a couple more inches it will center the lever directly under the handle making for a cleaner up and down movement and a little less effort. It will do for now though.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby WimpTech » November 3rd 2016, 6:18pm

TurnNburn wrote: If I had a couple more inches..

Title of my sextape!
:rofl:

WimpTech
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years

Postby HotWire » November 3rd 2016, 6:29pm

TurnNburn wrote:Its not awesome or clean looking compared to Hotwires, but it does shift into 4 wheel drive without having to crawl under the van with a 9/16 open ended wrench anymore.

Hey man, looks good to me; it works. We don't all have sweet rear bumpers like you.........................yet :rockon:
HotWire
Years of Membership: HotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » November 3rd 2016, 7:19pm

Wimpazz wrote:
TurnNburn wrote: If I had a couple more inches..

Title of my sextape!
:rofl:

I knew that whole last paragraph wouldn't end well...

Thanks guys
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby Tegnus » November 4th 2016, 5:36pm

TurnNburn wrote:Thanks! I have no doubt that the stock van is a very capable vehicle. But every time we use this van we think to ourselves, "if we had a little bit more lift we could have gotten there", "four low would have made that decent a lot less white knuckle", or "if we had a bit more fuel we could have gone the scenic way home", or "if we had a bed in the back of this thing we could have slept inside instead of sleeping in a soaking wet tent in a rain storm". The necessity of progress has improved our experience ten fold and has been a bonding experience for the both of us. Both to each other, and us to the van.

That in my opinion is the best way to approach the build - spend money on traveling not building. When you feel, that something is missing - add it, otherwise you end up with every possible THING and don't have budget to adventure :)
2004 Astro AWD (Astrid), 3" Lift, BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT225/75R16, Tru-Cool LPD-4490 Trans cooler, ARB Awning 2500 (ARB4401A)

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram | Check out the build of our 2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"
Tegnus
Years of Membership: Tegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » November 8th 2016, 12:10am

We feel that way as well. I would eat Top Ramen for a month if that meant I could spend a week exploring a new area.

My brake light and abs light have been coming on randomly since we bought our van, but recently its been getting considerably worse. So today pulled my ABS control module today and re soldered it. The 2 inch body lift makes getting all of the T-20 bolts out through the fender well a breeze. Much easier then doing it from the bottom. Still hate cracking open those cases though. What a pain. But hey, its a free fix, and that never happens. So I cant complain that much.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby WimpTech » November 8th 2016, 1:46am

FSM says to replace the bolts, FWIW.
Just Flux them first, use 63/37 solder and scrub it down with alcohol

WimpTech

Postby THEEwhiteboy » November 9th 2016, 12:58am

Man im having to fix the abs module too but mines corroded coming from CO. I'm removing the whole pump this weekend as mines been bad getting worse.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being worst. How was the transfer case swap minus the nice shifter.
THEEwhiteboy
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: THEEwhiteboy has been a member for 4 full yearsTHEEwhiteboy has been a member for 4 full yearsTHEEwhiteboy has been a member for 4 full yearsTHEEwhiteboy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Samuel
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Awd

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » November 9th 2016, 1:08am

I just reused those screws since I didn't hog them out when coming apart.

THEEwhiteboy wrote:Man im having to fix the abs module too but mines corroded coming from CO. I'm removing the whole pump this weekend as mines been bad getting worse.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being worst. How was the transfer case swap minus the nice shifter.

Are your bolts just not coming out? Or did someone already FUBAR them up for you?

The T-case swap is pretty straight forward. I would give it a 4. And that's really only because its heavy enough to be difficult to lift by yourself. It bolts right in, no modifications required mechanically.

Take off the drive shafts, un bolt and remove t case (remove and discard the tcase torque member, there aren't provisions for it in the 233). reassemble with the 233 and your ready to roll again. There is some super easy(2 wires) cut and splice for the speed sensor. The other 2 connectors that used to go to the t case you don't use again.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby THEEwhiteboy » November 9th 2016, 2:14am

The torx are so corroded nothing will fit to turn half of them. The brake fluid is garbage anyhow so oh well. The brake line fittings look clean and easy to remove.
THEEwhiteboy
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: THEEwhiteboy has been a member for 4 full yearsTHEEwhiteboy has been a member for 4 full yearsTHEEwhiteboy has been a member for 4 full yearsTHEEwhiteboy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Samuel
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Awd

PreviousNext