2000 Astro Camperized Battle Van

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 2000 Astro Camperized Battle Van

Postby Lumpy » December 29th 2016, 3:21pm

Catching up on some of the older posts ...

Looks like you got it figured out, but I saw your concern about the front leaf hanger bolts and the fuel tank access problem. You've likely figured it out - Drop the tank, remove the bolts, then re-insert the bolts from the OUTBOARD side. Then removing them in the future won't require the fuel tank drop.

Aligning the rear wheels ...

Find a spot near the front of the van that's either dead center, or two spots that are at the same plane. Rear edge of the front subframe, for example. The farther forward that point is the better theoretical accuracy. Measure either straight and/or diagonally from some point on the R and L rear axle to that(those) front point(s). Like pick a brake bolt or some other point on the rear axle that has a matching point on both R and L sides. Measure from that brake bolt to the front measuring point you've chosen. Loosen the U bolts and all that on the rear and adjust the appropriate side of the rear axle forward or rearward till the two measurements are equivalent. You're essentially squaring up the axle to the longline of the van. Axle ends will move enough to adjust. Maybe need 1/8 inch at most, if any.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rorge Astro 2000 cargo build
    by rorgeastro » December 2nd 2020, 7:36am in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by rorgeastro View the latest post
    December 22nd 2020, 11:10pm
  • "B-Team" 2000 RWD Astro for Gambler 500
    by Jon Conrad » February 16th 2021, 7:53am in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by tungtide View the latest post
    February 16th 2021, 10:56pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 25th 2021, 6:11pm

Postby chevymaher » December 29th 2016, 5:39pm

Lumpy has it on the measuring.

Use the bolt the backing plate bolts on with on the rear end. This is going to be where the wheel actually is. For comparison purposes it is going to get them the same place.

And the rear body mount bolt center. Body mounts holes were checked for tolerance and should be almost dead on for measurement. There was a diagram floating around here for that, and these bolts are what the measurements are all off of.

Measurement is made diagonally. That is more exact and how frame places do it. Or when your building a race car chassis with roll bars.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby YakClimber78 » December 29th 2016, 5:53pm

TurnNburn wrote:Pictures speak louder then words

Just drilled a 5/8th hole right here

Did you notice that your driveline vibration lessened when you repositioned your springs? I have a touch of vibration and I'm looking for a solution.
thanks,
Yak
1999 Astro LS: "Rastro the Astro"
AWD
4" Lift
235/75R15
Mountain Machine
YakClimber78
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: YakClimber78 has been a member for 8 full yearsYakClimber78 has been a member for 8 full yearsYakClimber78 has been a member for 8 full yearsYakClimber78 has been a member for 8 full yearsYakClimber78 has been a member for 8 full yearsYakClimber78 has been a member for 8 full yearsYakClimber78 has been a member for 8 full yearsYakClimber78 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): Yakclimber
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » December 29th 2016, 6:10pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I really appreciate it. But since i have access to an alignment machine at work i just fallowed WoodButchers advice. While doing my alignment, I used a ratchet strap on the side that needed adjustment and applied a little tension, then with everything tight i loosened up my u-bolts and it shifted about a 1/16th of an inch and brought it back into spec. Tightened everything down and proceeded with my alignment. Everything is good now.

Birdman: Thank you, it was really a no brainer when it came to look for an awning. The cheapest awning i came across when looking was from ARB at 170ish... but it was only 4x4 feet! That just wasn't going to cut it... A: Because i am a cheap SOB when it comes to comfort things and B: They don't even make an awning as big as i wanted. I was able to buy and make our setup for around 40-50 bucks when it was all said and done and is 9x16 feet.

Lump: I was able to drill those holes into the front spring hanger without dropping the hangers themselves, but just barely! I only had one drill bit that was long enough to go from the outside and do both layers at once. Luckily it was close to the right size. Measured 3 times drilled once!

Yak: I did notice a decrease in vibration. If you re drill this hole and put your bolt here it corresponds to the top bolt hole in the multi holed lift shackles. So by lifting the front and the rear the same amount the drive angle is maintained and thus, no vibration. BUT... by doing this you are moving the front of the spring down, but also backwards... which pushes your tires backwards in the wheel well, not much, maybe a half an inch. I drove it like this for a bit and it didn't affect drivability, but looked goofy to me. To fight this you need to go down another bolt hole in your shackle... but then you are just undoing what you did this in the first place. Personally, since i was going to be on the bottom bolt hole anyways, this was just trying to help the drive angles, not fix my problem all together.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby WimpTech » December 29th 2016, 7:19pm

I believe there was mention of a new full frontal photo??
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » December 29th 2016, 7:28pm

Yes I did say that I would post a new picture from the front today. It was sleeting sideways this morning and just wasn't feeling it. It is going to have to wait until this evening. Hopefully I can get home before it gets to dark.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years

Postby RonRod » December 30th 2016, 12:46pm

Dude! This is looking killer- that van is looking mean!
RonRod
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: RonRod has been a member for 4 full yearsRonRod has been a member for 4 full yearsRonRod has been a member for 4 full yearsRonRod has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996

Postby WoodButcher » December 30th 2016, 1:43pm

TurnNburn wrote:Yes I did say that I would post a new picture from the front today. It was sleeting sideways this morning and just wasn't feeling it. It is going to have to wait until this evening. Hopefully I can get home before it gets to dark.

Yeah, right...

pics or it didn't happen,,, :angry-tappingfoot:

Glad you got the rear squared away :thumbup:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » December 30th 2016, 8:58pm

Sorry about the poor lighting. Tis the season... the snow just keeps on trucking. The high forecasted for tomorrow is in the single digits and a low of -14. I know that isn't Minnesota cold, but for around here it will get the job done. It is hard to tell but the gap between the top off the bumper and the bottom of the grill is about 3 inches.

Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby WimpTech » December 30th 2016, 9:30pm

Outstanding! I admit the wings are growing on me. Thx for the pic, great work!

WimpTech
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » December 30th 2016, 9:55pm

I don't even know where to get them after market. I spent a long time looking for them and found nothing. I assume that is a post factory dealership addition cause most Rubicon's don't have wings like this. But most of the after market bumpers for the JK have the wings, so now I know when I do a proper front bumper it will look and fit well.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby 1lowcab » December 30th 2016, 10:02pm

It really fits the look of the van. Your right tho, that gap is perfect for an led lightbar.
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » December 30th 2016, 11:03pm

Nice work TurnNburn!

1lowcab wrote:It really fits the look of the van. Your right tho, that gap is perfect for an led lightbar.

The bumper does have a better fit/look with the 3" body lift and was thinking a row of lights would fill that gap nicely too. LED lightbar is a great idea. :thumbup:
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » December 30th 2016, 11:05pm

Yeah I was thinking of something like this would be pretty awesome if the curve matched the shape of the grill! And super cheap. But I think I will hold off on getting a light bar until I figure out my front bumper situation in case it wont fit the new setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Eyourlife-Curved ... B00PRVVZ5G
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby WimpTech » December 31st 2016, 1:41am

If not, you could always mount it to the safari rack....

WimpTech

Postby sixsix » January 1st 2017, 12:02am

Very Nice , Turn , looks great AND like was mentioned - perfect for the Hi-Perf Lightbar.
And it has a Kinda' "Durango" look , but tougher , of course.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby TurnNburn [OP] » January 18th 2017, 1:09am

So with snowpocalypse coming to an end I have had some time to work on the van again. It hasn't been above freezing here in over a month, and in 2 months we got 54 inches of snow, breaking several records in the process. With the below freezing temps my LIM gaskets decided to give up the ghost and my engine developed a water retention problem. So day one was dedicated to doing that. I replaced every gasket that came in the metal core felpro kit except a single o-ring that measured about 1 inch across. In all of my tearing apart and reassembly I never saw a o ring that looked like that. That stuff is normal maintenance stuff and boring for pictures, not to mention covered many times on here before. I will however repost this, as this was very helpful... http://www.handymanlyness.com/archives/ ... Jimmy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then on day 2 the time had come to finally get my house batteries(that I bought in august like an idiot) mounted up into the van.

I know this is nothing compared to the Midwest but for around here this is crazy. This is what 34 inches of snow in 3 days looks like hanging out on my deck

I bought 2 of these to mount my 2 6v batteries (pictured earlier in this thread)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf- ... AsWL8P8HAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well since the astro doesn't have a frame, per se, to mount these to I made my own structural support frame and welded it all together and then bolted in for easy R&R to service the batteries and fiddle with the wires and such. Once again, its tied into my hitch. So I made a template out of a left over piece of 2x4(doesn't actually measure 2x4 but it seems like people still call them that) and some slats from a pallet and "mounted" up into place. Once the dimensions were dialed in, time to bring out the welder and start melting metal.

Rough template

Hanging for paint

Last edited by TurnNburn on January 18th 2017, 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby Lumpy » January 18th 2017, 1:31am

I'm likin' that battery mount fab.

The jack that you've got under the 2x4. What is that? Transmission jack?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby WimpTech » January 18th 2017, 1:32am

Ooooo hot DAMN I like it! Whatcha gonna do with all that other free space under there? I'm thinking on-board water and maybe even air. I wonder if you could pressurize the water and not need a pump for it... hmmmm....

WimpTech

Postby sixsix » January 18th 2017, 1:48am

Wow - Turn - Excellent Fab and nice seeing the mock up.
Kinda' reminds me of someone else's "undersides".

CC has done some head turning stuff under his.
And now we have new "Undies" to ogle.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

PreviousNext