1990 Tiger Provan GT rwd to awd or 4x4

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

1990 Tiger Provan GT rwd to awd or 4x4

Postby beneng_jr [OP] » September 22nd 2016, 5:50pm

Yes, I know, a much covered subject, much of which can be answered by searching the forums or google. Which I've done plenty, but mostly turns up vague answers from home mechanics and others who know how it should be done in theory but haven't actually done it. The obvious solution is to buy an AWD but if you have ever tried to find an AWD Tiger its damn near impossible, and when you do they're so expensive that it makes modding the 2wd not seem so unreasonable. So unless you have an AWD Tiger to sell me (which I'll buy) lets keep the focus on converting a RWD.

First, mines a 1990, but from what I understand AWD wasn't introduced until 1991. Anyone know if the subframe from a 1st gen 91-95 will bolt into a 1990 without mods? Will the motor mounts or other important things line up? I know its the same body style but I also know things under the hood can change year-to-year

Second, if mine were an AWD I prob wouldn't be looking at doing a 4x4 mod, maybe just a 2" lift. My primary concern is not sliding off snowpacked roads and dying on snowboard trips (I live in a ski town), and being able to get to mountain bike trailheads on unimproved roads. Doesn't need to be any more capable than a subaru forester. My 88 RWD Tiger did fine with chains 90% of the time, but its the other 10% that mattered. I have to wonder if its simpler, cheaper, and more reliable in the long run to just swap an AWD system from a donor than going full 4x4 which might leave some budget for doing it with a reman motor, tranny, and transfer case.

Boulder off-road quoted me conversion pricing starting at $18k reusing my 100k motor. Its not out of my budget, but that's way over building it into a heavy-duty 4x4 for smashing into **** which I just don't need.

And of course, if someone has a AWD Hardtop (XL) for sale consider it sold, I'll take it.
Original Poster [OP]
beneng_jr
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: beneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Ben
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Tiger Provan GT

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 1990 Tiger Provan GT rwd to awd or 4x4

Postby chevymaher » September 22nd 2016, 6:23pm

Buy any gen one 94 and earlier. Swap sub frames. It is a direct swap every thing you need is there to convert it. You do need to get one with a good trans it is different. Engine is the same so you can use yours. So a wreck rusted but running van is what you need.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby AstroWill » September 28th 2016, 7:54am

beneng_jr wrote:Boulder off-road quoted me conversion pricing starting at $18k reusing my 100k motor. Its not out of my budget, but that's way over building it into a heavy-duty 4x4 for smashing into **** which I just don't need.

And of course, if someone has a AWD Hardtop (XL) for sale consider it sold, I'll take it.

I have one that has been converted into a hard top with 75,000 miles on it. House portion needs some work, I was going to gut it to be rebuilt the way I want but you know everything has a price. If you want to put a price on it as an AWD and throw down a cash deposit, let's talk. I would even deliver it to CO for you when it's done for a whole lot less than 18k. ;)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby beneng_jr [OP] » September 28th 2016, 4:30pm

Got a link to that vehicle?
Original Poster [OP]
beneng_jr
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: beneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full yearsbeneng_jr has been a member for 5 full years

Postby AstroWill » October 1st 2016, 1:00am

I can get you some pictures when I pull it out of storage.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby beneng_jr [OP] » October 1st 2016, 5:19pm

chevymaher wrote:Buy any gen one 94 and earlier. Swap sub frames. It is a direct swap every thing you need is there to convert it. You do need to get one with a good trans it is different. Engine is the same so you can use yours. So a wreck rusted but running van is what you need.

Thanks, yep, I did finally talk to someone that has actually converted an RWD Tiger to a 4x4, pretty much said the same thing. Just gotta feel out my new tiger to see if I really want to go this route, do a little soul searching wether or not I want to keep playing whack-a-mole with GT roof leaks.
Original Poster [OP]
beneng_jr
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Re: 1990 Tiger Provan GT rwd to 4x4

Postby beneng_jr [OP] » July 26th 2017, 2:46am

The ball is rolling...

Bought a donor vehicle (1994 AWD, 115k miles with the 200hp CPI motor) and shipped it to a mechanic who has done the conversion before. My 1990 is the blue on on the left, the brown 1989 one on the right started life as a RWD but is now a 5.3L V8 IFS with rear locker, 5" lift, rolling on 31's, all done by said mechanic. So basically, tentative plan is to swap the whole subframe/drive train/motor/ecm/rear axle into mine with 2" subframe spacers, and replace the AWD transfer case with manually selectable one from a S10 Blazer. Already have steel leaf springs with add-a-leafs that give it a 2" rear lift (front currently has 2" longer lift spindles but obviously they won't be reusable). Probably going to keep the lift at 2" to avoid messing with the torsion bars and being too tippy, don't need to run anything bigger than a 235/75/15 or 225/75/16. I live in a ski town so snow driving is more of a concern than off-roading, something I only to do to get to mountain biking locations, not for fun.

Future projects, after this is done, include:
- Removing the toilet, water heater, and shower. Just have a basic cold water sink and outside sprayer/shower. Need the storage space for gear, and no way I'm pooping in the van.
- Re-route the sink drain to the blackwater tank, then remove the grey tank so I can relocate the spare tire back under the vehicle.
- Either re-purpose the water tank cavity to storage or re-route the gasoline fill neck in there. Currently have problems with the way its routed now not taking gas. Also don't like how it wraps around the furnace...
- Extend the rear bumper and mount some kind of 72" aluminum tool box for storage large enough to hold snowboards.
- Turn toilet/shower in to proper closet
- Solar panels, controller, larger AGM battery (currently running coach on a cheap grp 29 marine)
- Pergo/vinyl floor
- New headliner in coach roof (lift panels are good, and brand new insulated hypalon liner from Phoenix installed by previous owner)

Updates to come!
Attachments
Bad Ass Astro Tigers.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
beneng_jr
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby cbadbox » August 2nd 2017, 3:32pm

Subscribed! Look forward to your updates.
cbadbox
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: cbadbox has been a member for 4 full yearscbadbox has been a member for 4 full yearscbadbox has been a member for 4 full yearscbadbox has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1987
Extra Info: 4x4 Tiger GT

Postby beneng_jr [OP] » August 2nd 2017, 3:44pm

"**** full, Clark."
Attachments
IMG_3547.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
beneng_jr
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby sixsix » August 2nd 2017, 6:40pm

Yeah.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby markmitch » August 2nd 2017, 6:47pm

very cool, I am watching!
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby WinnieVan » August 2nd 2017, 6:58pm

Awesome. Looking forward to more pictures.
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby beneng_jr [OP] » August 3rd 2017, 12:38am

Astro Tiger toilet delete

Got the toilet, grey tank, and shower wand out to make the toilet/shower room into useful storage. Rerouted the sink drain into the black tank vent and removed/plugged the toilet drain into the black tank. Grey tank was removed so I can relocate the spare tire under the vehicle. The donor van still has a hoist I can salvage.

Still deciding on a closet layout. I'll get around to it in the next month or so. Next immediate project will be to remove the hot water heater and hot water lines, and remove the city water hookup unless it can be repurposed into a sprayer. From there I might reroute the gasoline fill line into the hot water heater cavity if can't fix its current routing to take gas- sometimes it won't fill because its rises up onto of the main water line, not laying flat on the floor, which causes gas to puddle in the line and stop the pump. I had to remove the plastic retainer for the fill neck, being able to rise the neck that inch or so is all it takes to make it take gas, but without the plastic retainer I've got hole in the vehicle where water and bugs can enter.

The 4x4 mod won't happen until November. The mechanic just received the donor van and hasn't even inspected it yet to see what were working with.
Attachments
IMG_3567.JPG
Laterz grey tank...
IMG_3564.JPG
Black tank hole for toilet plugged, sink drain rerouted to black tank vent
IMG_3565.JPG
Close up of plumbing reroute, note the cut ABS pip on the floor, thats the old grey tank drain for the sink
Original Poster [OP]
beneng_jr
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby beneng_jr [OP] » August 12th 2017, 3:22am

Fake wood floor is in, water heater is out, toilet/shower now a closet
Attachments
IMG_3591.JPG
before...
IMG_3596.JPG
...after
IMG_3592.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
beneng_jr
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby sixsix » August 12th 2017, 8:19pm

Good Grief - Sideways Photos ...
Click
Click
again Click
Rinse , repeat , 3X

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby beneng_jr [OP] » September 4th 2017, 8:39pm

Meet the organ donor. 1994 AWD with the 200hp CPI vin W motor with 114k miles. Mechanic already dropped subframe and pulled the motor. #5 cylinder blown, currently motor shopping, prob get a reman from a GM service center. Tranny's good luckily. Also has nicer buckets than mine!

I'm using the same mechanic who made this beast: viewtopic.php?t=95330
Attachments
00D0D_jLHBLX6Wzcm_1200x900.jpg
The organ donor
Original Poster [OP]
beneng_jr
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby AstroWill » September 4th 2017, 11:24pm

beneng_jr wrote: currently motor shopping, prob get a reman from a GM service center.

That is probably your best bet, considering the value of awd/4wd Tigers.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby hburge » September 5th 2017, 2:12am

Im currently in the process of trying to get my Tiger Provan converted to an AWD or 4x4. Does anyone know if the 1987 and the 1990 are the same or is the 1987 a beast of its own?
I hope your build goes well looks like its on a good path. I also took the shower and toilet out for storage. Havent finished the design for it yet but in the process. Would also love to get the contact of the mechanic that is doing your conversion just to ask some questions.
Keep the posts going would love to see the progress.
hburge
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: hburge has been a member for 4 full yearshburge has been a member for 4 full yearshburge has been a member for 4 full yearshburge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1987
Extra Info: Tiger GT 4.3l V6

Postby AstroWill » September 5th 2017, 3:47pm

There are differences, none that should really matter for what you want to do.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby beneng_jr [OP] » October 27th 2017, 3:56pm

hburge wrote:Im currently in the process of trying to get my Tiger Provan converted to an AWD or 4x4. Does anyone know if the 1987 and the 1990 are the same or is the 1987 a beast of its own?
I hope your build goes well looks like its on a good path. I also took the shower and toilet out for storage. Havent finished the design for it yet but in the process. Would also love to get the contact of the mechanic that is doing your conversion just to ask some questions.
Keep the posts going would love to see the progress.

Not sure abut the 87/90 differences, but I do believe both are TBI motors. Prob have to look up the VIN and RPO codes. Let me ask the guy doing mine if its ok to rap with him. Are you interested in hiring someone or doing it yourself?
Original Poster [OP]
beneng_jr
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Next