2001 RWD Safari Van

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 2001 RWD Safari Van

Postby Ironsides [OP] » March 31st 2017, 11:36pm

Finally got CEL for a moment.

Was hauling trailer on highway, upper 80's temp, it came and went at 65mph 3rd gear, tow/haul mode, nothing out of ordinary on dash gauges, got home and could hear fuel pump whine, at least I think it was fuel pump.

So I ordered the OBDII Scanner Code Reader Bluetooth for the Torque Lite/Pro Android app and we will reproduce the conditions and find out what happened, read stored codes. I can't wait. RPMs, temps, stuff I need to know.

Things been a little rough at idle, and I've waited a long time for it to get a CEL We'll see.
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ironsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD Custom HD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • "B-Team" 2000 RWD Astro for Gambler 500
    by Jon Conrad » February 16th 2021, 7:53am in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by tungtide View the latest post
    February 16th 2021, 10:56pm
  • And so it begins, my van build
    by mglsite » October 17th 2020, 11:02pm in Projects/Builds
    3 Replies
    Last post by mglsite View the latest post
    October 18th 2020, 12:36am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 27th 2021, 5:19am

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 6th 2017, 10:11pm

Okay, been fussing with the Bluetooth OBDII and several apps, turns out these things are hit and miss for working properly, a little aggravated, got my money back and now I have a new chew toy for the neighbors' dogs, just toss that over the fence next time it barks at me... kidding.

Ordering one of the grown up devices, hand held with cable, costs four times as much and is 100 times more reliable.

*walks off mumbling something about eBay... China... garbage
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Years of Membership: Ironsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mmusicman » April 6th 2017, 11:59pm

There are inexpensive bluetooth readers that work fine.. it's just a matter of getting the right one.
I think I paid around $20-$30 for mine...
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 8th 2017, 3:00am

Yes sir, but honestly I'd just rather get one of those readers after all that bs
Looking at the Vgate Maxiscan VS890 comes with cord and USB, bag, book $36
Reads, defines and clears.
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

Postby 1lowcab » April 8th 2017, 3:26am

Here is the one I use

I also use DashCommand
http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/

You can download vehicle specific pids including the GM enhanced ones and it will read the CMP camshaft retard offset pid.

I've never had a problem with that Bluetooth reader, it always connects flawlessly.
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 25th 2017, 1:20am

Okay, after returning the Vgate Maxiscan I'm leaving the OBDII alone for a while :x

Took a trip to the junk yard, had some questions needing answers, didn't want to ask like does the Gen1 bumper fit Gen2, the 1500? How high are the custom toppers. How to get a extendible tow mirror. I did read here about mirror swap, drill the holes etcetera and the u-bolts, I read that here before, but it's true, just get out there and mess around and see what I like. I looked at hundreds of bumpers, they're all toast, brush guards go fast, roof racks don't make it to the yards, good tires... LMAO nope. Things I would buy without hesitation are the Escalade wood steering wheel and center jump seat/console if in good shape tan/neutral. After seeing the success with Jeep bumpers I am looking, but I prefer the full size truck look and the 1500's are only an inch wider. The bumper looks good, just need to make sure I get the filler, trim, bumper guards, hooks and fender connectors also. Looking for a nice one figuring if I do it a brush guard would be easier to install.

Been eying the 1500 front bumper, it looks like a good fit.

Front_Comparison_1.jpg

Just like the look. Here's what I ended up with. Of course they would go higher, this is just resting on the mounts. Stood back and really liked it, I really like the full size van look, the off road look and was trying to come up with something in between. Doing it right requires cutting off the front end of the frame and replacing with the 1500 frame... then there's the body mount and so on, best to pull the mounting brackets, weld them together with a donor van bumper mount and go that direction, Frankenmount.

Bumper_Views.jpg

The lines are right, just need to learn to weld, so it's probably not going to happen. At least not soon.

Wanted to check out toppers. This height, I'm standing inside but not straight...

Topper_Edit.jpg

Also wanted to check out mirrors, Tahoe is the best fit compared to the others. Now to find the after market tow/light/electric for less than $ :shock:

Mirror_Edit.jpg

Need running boards, not a good pair on anything in town, can see every truck in yard has a bent side from tractoring, had to pull from two donors. Ford and Mercury SUVs because they match the tread pattern inside the door steps and rear bumper. 6" trim on each end and fold over so as not to mess around with the cladding. I pulled Envoy running boards from one yard, but the hangers were in another, the Envoy boards were jazzy and the hanger locations clashed, so I had no problem choosing those others. If we don't like them I can go get others, there are many out there as long as I'm willing to two find two donors for each set. The Durango had a nice full size board too, really didn't care as long as it was straight.

Sideboards_Sources.jpg

Found a van to pull the hangers from, only one in town and the running boards were toast.

RunningBoard_Hangers.jpg

It was sketchy under there, van resting on the running boards, every bolt removed and this van resettled LOL
Did learn to disconnect the parking brake to get the guide so I don't have to drill mine. I had to leave the rear most hanger, it was holding up the van, besides I would have had to do some cutting and weld nuts and we know I don't do that yet. In my opinion they are overkill, nothing else has hangers that far back.

The Envoy option...

Envoy_Option.jpg

Wanted to see how something like this fits...

Tire_Gate.jpg

No, no, no, no. The bumper mount is waaay better.

Need u-bolts and plates, don't like the clamshell fit, there's no further upgrade options, they must go.
Picked up these from Chevy 1500. Hung them from the leaf springs to see, yes, we like.

UBolt_Swap.jpg

Went back couple days later and swapped them out for not rusty, fine thread and top lock nuts with drain hole from Dodge van.

If anything here inspires anyone who was thinking about these things, hope this helped.

I have not begun this work yet so here is a 55 Buick because it is done!

55_Buick.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 25th 2017, 1:44am

Nearly forgot!

IMAG06090.jpg

Hit 175,000 this weekend. Was watching and happened to be on I-10, so pulled over quick and captured the moment :D
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

Postby MI_Ghost » April 25th 2017, 4:43pm

Ironsides wrote:I had to leave the rear most hanger, it was holding up the van, besides I would have had to do some cutting and weld nuts and we know I don't do that yet. In my opinion they are overkill, nothing else has hangers that far back.

Those thin brackets were dropped on the 03-05 models also. No issue with not using them.
The small flap on the rocker for the rear mount is already punched. You just need to fold it down.

Did you get all 4 extra bracket pieces (front frame stops, rear rockers)?
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 26th 2017, 2:06am

Hi MI_Ghost

Was under the van today, got the front three brackets, each side. Left the two rear brackets.
There are threaded bolt holes for the second to last hanger but the access hole was not punched, it's just raised to identify. The actual rear most location is threaded and good to use.
I will be cutting this portion off the running boards anyway, because I am leaving my cladding as is and installing these between the rounded portions before the wheel wells.

Seen today all the locations for the brackets that I do have are just the same as the van I pulled them from.
If I go back to that van and it is not supported by the hanger brackets, I may get them anyway, but they'll just sit in my shed.

If I didn't answer what you asked me, because I'm not 100% sure, please send image or part numbers. I went to http://www.chevypartsprime.com/gmc/part ... board.html I do not have rear #4 & #5.
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 26th 2017, 2:08am

Did the 6 front 2" body spacers today. Front fender is now 33" and rear is 32" so when I install the rear u bolts, we will see final leveling to 33" all around. For anyone waiting for me to find rust damage, finally did, the lower insulator washer was rusted and the rubber softer than all the rest, front passenger side... will collect a replacement next yard visit.

Did mine slightly different than most, raised van, supported on jack stands then lowered sub frame.

Front_Spacers1.jpg

From the side. Clearly an inch higher in front than rear. Will fix that next.

Front_Spacers2.jpg

Thanks again everyone :ty: will update as progress.
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

Postby 1lowcab » April 26th 2017, 4:29am

the lower insulator washer was rusted and the rubber softer than all the rest, front passenger side

Theres another front passenger side mount that was worse then the others. Mmusicman may be right about contamination from coolant overflow absorbing into the bushing over the years, interesting.
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby MI_Ghost » April 26th 2017, 6:18am

Ironsides wrote:Hi MI_Ghost

Was under the van today, got the front three brackets, each side. Left the two rear brackets.
There are threaded bolt holes for the second to last hanger but the access hole was not punched, it's just raised to identify. The actual rear most location is threaded and good to use.
I will be cutting this portion off the running boards anyway, because I am leaving my cladding as is and installing these between the rounded portions before the wheel wells.

If I didn't answer what you asked me, because I'm not 100% sure, please send image or part numbers. I went to http://www.chevypartsprime.com/gmc/part ... board.html I do not have rear #4 & #5.

You just have to slide a screwdriver under the flap to lift it then fold it over out of the way.

The front frame stops
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/s ... gory=19404

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/s ... gory=19393

Rear rocker pieces
#3 and #23
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/s ... gory=19392

You must have the front frame stops for the #2 brackets. (Part #9)
If you are not using the covers and the 4th bracket. The rear pieces are not needed.
The 3rd bracket on the right side is only half way down the length on the slider door. The 4th bracket would cover the full slider length.

Where you able to remove the step pads without breaking the plastic studs off??
I am looking for both sides with all the plastic studs intact. If the covers are undamaged (no rips or holes) I would be interested in those also. Both sets that I got have damaged Left front covers.

If the metal strips attached to the body are not rusted away. Those are impossible to find and often looked for.
~Ghost
MI_Ghost
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 27th 2017, 1:51am

1lowcab wrote:
the lower insulator washer was rusted and the rubber softer than all the rest, front passenger side

Theres another front passenger side mount that was worse then the others. Mmusicman may be right about contamination from coolant overflow absorbing into the bushing over the years, interesting.

Makes sense, I know this van overheated and the intake manifold gasket replaced as well as dexcool flushed before I owned it.
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 27th 2017, 2:12am

I'm also suspect the radiator was replaced with smaller one. I haven't researched it yet.

MI_Ghost, the GM stock running boards are still on the van, they're ruined. I have all the parts needed to install other brand running boards. I am cutting away the plastic nuts, cutting the steel short, relocating mount holes to match brackets, trimming and folding plastic step cover then riveting the tabs underneath.
The hook hangers, threaded holes, brackets, everything is okay. I looked at those fender and board pics you uploaded, that's a lot of pieces. The green van above is the donor, it's perched on rims resting on the running boards, they're toast. They're bent up backwards and the doors are jammed for it, I laughed because that's my trim color, would've bought the entire cladding and step set if they didn't ruin it. All the vehicles are ruined from off road fork lift abuse. I'll get a pic tomorrow of my brackets, think I have the frame stop part, drilled it today for the park brake cable.
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 27th 2017, 2:40pm

MI_Ghost wrote:You just have to slide a screwdriver under the flap to lift it then fold it over out of the way.

You must have the front frame stops for the #2 brackets. (Part #9)
If you are not using the covers and the 4th bracket. The rear pieces are not needed.
The 3rd bracket on the right side is only half way down the length on the slider door. The 4th bracket would cover the full slider length.

Where you able to remove the step pads without breaking the plastic studs off??
I am looking for both sides with all the plastic studs intact. If the covers are undamaged (no rips or holes) I would be interested in those also. Both sets that I got have damaged Left front covers.

If the metal strips attached to the body are not rusted away. Those are impossible to find and often looked for.

MI_Ghost, Thank you sir, I understand. Will go grab those brackets. I wasn't concerned about them before, we don't use the van as passenger anymore, but I want my work to be well and complete, thanks for pointing that out.

brkts.jpg

rnbrds.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 28th 2017, 2:36am

Here are some more pics, finally finished today.

Front_Final1.jpg

These are unimportant pics but I had to run to LJY to get third bumper mount bolts, I also grabbed rear bumper nuts because the shiny zinc china bolt looked ugly and I broke one LOL

I can really appreciate the naked bumper, just paint, add a splash guard or skid plate, that looks tough.
I had a heck of a time positioning the fan shroud after adding the 3in screws and 2in spacers, it never occurred to me mounting it high would complicate things, so it's in between, I'm going to revisit it. Took 70 mph and strong crosswinds without the bumper cover and grill, so it will be fine closed up and zipped where it's at. I want to get another lower trim piece and screw it in like the original extending to support the lower shroud. Don't know what to do to the top yet it pushes the air box and intake hose up. The hoses were fine but could use longer ones. Checked the fluid lines and moved away from pulley and belt action, I really like the additional space in engine, spark plugs, shocks and motor mounts will be a breeze now that I've done them all the hard way.

Front_Final2.jpg

I installed the bumper mounts in upper bolt position and just made the flat bar extensions, pushing the mounts up and that gave my bumper the stiff upper lip look. It was tough attaching the grill they push on each other now but I like the close gaps doesn't look tired. No trimming was done. Stock 26.5" tires. Will get the rear done right soon and it will either level out or rake higher than front, haven't decided.
Took it for a spin and I like the way it rides a lot.

I got 3" from worn out 29.5in to fresh 32.5in thank you all I would not have been inspired or guided without you.

:ty:

Front_Final3.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

Postby MI_Ghost » April 28th 2017, 4:51am

Ironsides wrote:MI_Ghost, Thank you sir, I understand. Will go grab those brackets. I wasn't concerned about them before, we don't use the van as passenger anymore, but I want my work to be well and complete, thanks for pointing that out.

Ok, I see the frame stops in your pic. once you get the 4th bracket and the extra pieces that attach to the rocker you will be all set to add those steps you show.. They should look good on the van.

Take plenty of pictures. This might be the next hot mod.
Been trying to get Wimpy to look at doing something like that.

FYI: Those brackets are capable of supporting the van as you seen in the junk yard. They make for a good lift/jacking point also. You can plate the bottom with flat stock and make sliders also.
~Ghost
MI_Ghost

Postby nonhog » April 28th 2017, 4:31pm

Love the JW crawl posts. I crave digging around looking for "stuff" Just hard to find the time.
Recovering hoarder
My Slow build..... viewtopic.php?f=127&t=107426
nonhog
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: nonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 29th 2017, 2:35am

MI_Ghost wrote:Take plenty of pictures. This might be the next hot mod.
Been trying to get Wimpy to look at doing something like that.

Mine will be no frills, I did look at a lot of tube rails, there's even Smittybilts hanging on trucks out there. I'll take pics.

MI_Ghost wrote:FYI: Those brackets are capable of supporting the van as you seen in the junk yard. They make for a good lift/jacking point also. You can plate the bottom with flat stock and make sliders also.

I'm not so sure cause that van's running boards were toast. Adding a flat bar rock slider would be the way :rockon:
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ironsides [OP] » April 29th 2017, 3:08am

nonhog wrote:Love the JW crawl posts. I crave digging around looking for "stuff" Just hard to find the time.

My God, I could go out there all day and blog tons of stuff, guy at the gate tells me "$3", I'm like, "Thats it?", he replies, "Only $3 for an All Day Fun Pass.", I'm thinking he has no idea. I could Frankenbuild some crazy stuff and that would entertain me for like a year :rofl:

I deleted a bunch of pics I shot, figuring this isn't the place, but '60 Cadillac, rusted out pick-up

truck.jpg

Could've wasted an hour just stopping at this mess, so I took a pic. Really it's already 95° and there's not much time to play, I brought half a gallon jug of water with me for the running board run and ran out by the time I left. It's like a desert, dry, no breeze, if there was a breeze it was a dust storm, got good and dark farmer tan going already, wish I had more R&D pics to share.

I even bought this for our antique business...

bench.jpg
bench.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 1645 times

It was stuffed atop a pile that filled the inside of a hatch back, that's the last one I promise.
I can get junk drunk, it is fun, but we save that for actual work I didn't take any days off last year but every few Sundays. I was paid nothing for the entire year, I closed the shop and promised to fix the van. It has been very rewarding.

Recovering hoarder, it would just be too dangerous for you :D
Original Poster [OP]
Ironsides
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext