1990 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GTv8 Pop-Up Camper

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 1990 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GTv8 Pop-Up Camper

Postby vangogo » April 22nd 2016, 6:49pm

I think I saw your rig in Crescent City CA last week
PASTAFARI
vangogo
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: vangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): VanGoGo
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3 V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Mechanic Recommendation for 1991 Provan Tiger GT
    by tran0370 » January 28th 2021, 6:41pm in Projects/Builds
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 28th 2021, 7:22pm
  • Pop top for GMC Safari 2005
    by Olivier02 » February 14th 2021, 4:42am in Projects/Builds
    11 Replies
    Last post by MI_Ghost View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 2:56pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 23rd 2021, 11:38am

Postby AstroWill [OP] » April 23rd 2016, 5:01pm

It has been to Crescent City(for a surf comp), but not this year.

I have been having a lot of interested buyers lately, more than usual. Multiple notes under the wiper and yesterday while doing about 45 down a road, a guy rolls down his window and yells to me about wanting to buy it on the spot. My passenger got a good laugh at it. Now she knows why I try to fill up late at night, so I can fill up in peace.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Re: 1990 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GT pop-up

Postby cbadbox » August 15th 2016, 5:24pm

AstroWill I recently purchased a 87 based 4x4 Tiger GT and want to say Thank You for all this great info!! I have ordered my replacement fuel tank hoses. Did you use the 90 degree metal elbow that some have used near the fuel tank or just the 2" ID fuel line the whole way? Would you do it any differently if you where to do it again?

Thanks

AstroWill wrote:Here are some pictures of the new fuel filler and vent hoses.

P3210002edited.JPG

Backup Image Host: http://bayimg.com/IakNPaaeN
P3210003edited.JPG

Backup Image Host: http://bayimg.com/JakNAAaEN
P3210004edited.JPG

Backup Image Host: http://bayimg.com/JAKNDAAeN
P3210007edited.JPG

Backup Image Host: http://bayimg.com/JakNEaAen
P3210013edited.JPG

Backup Image Host: http://bayimg.com/JaKnFAAen
P3210021edited.JPG

Backup Image Host: http://bayimg.com/JAKNHAaEN
cbadbox
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: cbadbox has been a member for 4 full yearscbadbox has been a member for 4 full yearscbadbox has been a member for 4 full yearscbadbox has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1987
Extra Info: 4x4 Tiger GT

Postby AstroWill [OP] » August 16th 2016, 1:30am

cbadbox wrote:AstroWill I recently purchased a 87 based 4x4 Tiger GT and want to say Thank You for all this great info!! I have ordered my replacement fuel tank hoses. Did you use the 90 degree metal elbow that some have used near the fuel tank or just the 2" ID fuel line the whole way? Would you do it any differently if you where to do it again?

Thanks

You are most welcome. Congrats on your purchase! I just ran the hose exactly how it was run before without a metal elbow. I figure that if the original lasted 20 years, that would be a completely acceptable service life for the new one as well.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby cdlenfert » September 2nd 2016, 5:05am

Hey Will, I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading my old vent (after it got damaged on a long cross country drive) with a Fan-Tastic Vent. You mention garage-ability and that's what I'd like to maintain also. So far however, I haven't found anything that doesn't come up 2.5 inches off the roof. I believe my current vent lids drag ever so slightly when pulling out of my garage and measuring them it looks like they are darn close to 2" above the roof line exactly. I'm curious if you have had any issues with your install, if it's indeed 2.5 inches above the roof, and if there was any issue making the swap to the new vent. Thanks for any info. I didn't see a pic of your new vent on the thread, but I'd sure like to :drool: Thanks for all the great write-ups.

AstroWill wrote:Adohen Supply Co, http://rvvent.com 1-440-937-5694

The gentleman that called me back was very nice and wanted to make sure I was getting the proper vent ordered. They order them to your exact specifications from the factory so it takes about 3 weeks from order to delivery. Ordering from the factory was important to me as I have to keep the vent as low as possible to keep the garage-ability of the Tiger. Can't have it sticking up 5 inches in the air.

You can get standard or low profile base, I bought the low profile. Choice of domed(optional insulated) or flat top with choice of clear(my choice with lots of light), opaque white(no light), translucent white(filtered light), or tinted(blueish light).
——————————————
89 Astro Provan Tiger, 91K
——————————————
cdlenfert
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: cdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: Provan Tiger GT

Postby AstroWill [OP] » September 8th 2016, 10:22pm

cdlenfert wrote:Hey Will, I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading my old vent (after it got damaged on a long cross country drive) with a Fan-Tastic Vent. You mention garage-ability and that's what I'd like to maintain also. So far however, I haven't found anything that doesn't come up 2.5 inches off the roof. I believe my current vent lids drag ever so slightly when pulling out of my garage and measuring them it looks like they are darn close to 2" above the roof line exactly. I'm curious if you have had any issues with your install, if it's indeed 2.5 inches above the roof, and if there was any issue making the swap to the new vent. Thanks for any info. I didn't see a pic of your new vent on the thread, but I'd sure like to :drool: Thanks for all the great write-ups.

You are most welcome! No matter which one you choose, it will add some height to compare to the original, the originals with the flat metal lid are really low profile. I can get a couple of pictures of the vent within the next few days.

I do believe that you could modify the existing vent to add a fan, though I haven't looked into it yet, might do that for my other Tiger. I love the Fantastic Vent, however there are some issues with the model that I picked.
1. I hate the knob sticking down, and have whacked my head on it a few times, would love a manual override that is lower profile, and/or maybe a softer knob, my GF said the hard knob feels great, so I haven't changed a thing.
2. The rain sensor delay should be adjustable, in a light rain, it opens and closes way too much for my liking, however, it has saved me once where I was on a long hike and left it open and an unexpected storm rolled in 10hrs later.
3. The batteries in the remote seem to die rather quickly, I was surprised by how quickly they die, and now keep two extra sets in the Tiger.
4. No manual fan controls on the unit itself, would be nice for when the batteries die or if you just choose to do without the remote, unfortunately you can't.
5. Because of the radio receiver inside, you have to pull the fuse to completely disconnect the fan for storage, otherwise it eats away at your battery. If you have solar or never store it for long periods, this would be a non issue.

All in all, I don't know if I would buy the 'fancy' model again. I do like the temperature settings and range of adjustment, but sometimes simpler is simply better.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroWill [OP] » October 10th 2016, 6:53pm

AstroWill wrote:I can get a couple of pictures of the vent within the next few days.

I should have said weeks, I will get some this week for sure.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby cdlenfert » October 10th 2016, 8:59pm

No worries, It's plenty cool outside in CO now. I'd still love to see them when you get a chance. I did find this little DIY fan setup. http://www.proud-canadian.com/boler-diy ... roof-vent/
——————————————
89 Astro Provan Tiger, 91K
——————————————
cdlenfert
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: cdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full yearscdlenfert has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Provan Tiger GT

Postby cbadbox » October 13th 2016, 6:04am

Will as you know I am trying to figure out the best way to go on replacing the rear fiberglass springs. I read your suspension spots again and Lump's spring build, I have a better understanding of the whole thing now.

Your suspension conversion parts list is great. Most likely duplicate what you have done, go with the same 22-687 HD springs and possibly adjust height with shackles if needed as Wood Butcher suggested. I might be able to grab the springs from HotWire he is checking out what he has available. I currently have a 3" block on my fiberglass springs so its possible the rear may end up close the existing height.

A couple of questions, did you use your existing shackles in the rear? What did you use for hangers up front? Gen II or ? Is it possible to post pictures of your shackle and hanger?

Did you ever install the Dana 44 Perches? If so do you have any feed back on them. Did you switch out your shocks?
cbadbox
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: cbadbox has been a member for 4 full yearscbadbox has been a member for 4 full yearscbadbox has been a member for 4 full yearscbadbox has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1987
Extra Info: 4x4 Tiger GT

Postby AstroWill [OP] » October 13th 2016, 10:49pm

cbadbox wrote:Your suspension conversion parts list is great. Most likely duplicate what you have done, go with the same 22-687 HD springs and possibly adjust height with shackles if needed as Wood Butcher suggested. I might be able to grab the springs from HotWire he is checking out what he has available. I currently have a 3" block on my fiberglass springs so its possible the rear may end up close the existing height.

A couple of questions, did you use your existing shackles in the rear? What did you use for hangers up front? Gen II or ? Is it possible to post pictures of your shackle and hanger?

Did you ever install the Dana 44 Perches? If so do you have any feed back on them. Did you switch out your shocks?

I'm using the stock rear shackles in the rear of the spring, and the hangers are from any steel leaf spring equipped A/S van. I never installed the new spring perches as I wanted to test the durability of drilling the holes through the stock mount. That worked out so perfectly and I have not had a problem with them at all so I sold the new perches(why fix what isn't broken). I actually plan on doing the exact same thing to my second Tiger, which is a GT converted to a hard top. I did not switch out my shocks, I simply drilled a new hole to mount them slightly higher.

However, on the next one I will simply source the springs from the J/Y, just waiting for a 40% off sale, which I should have done when I got my other parts, but sometimes you just can't wait ;)

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby WoodButcher » October 14th 2016, 12:19am

My question is this, is cb's van lifted with the 3" block under the spring? was yours like that as well before the steel spring Will? If you both have the same model tiger maybe you could measure to the top trim of both to get a guideline for cb or maybe a common point on the underside of the unibody.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby AstroWill [OP] » October 14th 2016, 12:44am

No, mine never had lift blocks on the rear. I was quite surprised to see them put lift blocks on composite springs.

All depends on your options, many things can affect weight distribution on these. GT vs XL, oven, AC, generator, loading, blackwater tank, toilet, etc.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby deeiche » January 3rd 2017, 8:40pm

thanks again for the thread.

shortly after I changed out the flasher last year in my 89 Tiger GT my 700R4 gave up the ghost, looks like a 3-4 clutch pack fail. Instead of spending money on a trans rebuild I decided to change mine over to AWD. Been looking for a donor vehicle since then. It took awhile but after broadening my CL search I finally found a '92 Safari AWD in Leadville, CO. Seems there were very few Gen1 AWD sold in Albuquerque, or they've all gone to wrecker hell. Last Thursday we did the up and back drive to Leadville. Funny thing is, after the drive back, the Safari ran so well I hate to gut it. :-(

One thing I did notice on my '89, it already has steel leafs in the back.
deeiche
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: deeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Provan Tiger

Postby AstroWill [OP] » January 5th 2017, 3:17am

That is the way to do it! Hope you do a build thread!

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby deeiche » January 7th 2017, 8:05pm

AstroWill wrote:That is the way to do it! Hope you do a build thread!

That is my intent, first I need to clear out my shop. There was plenty of space when I lifted my 2000 AWD in 2009, but over last 7 years it's gotten filled with crap. :-(
deeiche
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: deeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full yearsdeeiche has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Provan Tiger

Postby AstroWill [OP] » April 9th 2018, 4:19am

Went through the thread and updated all missing/problem loading/redundant pictures. Finally.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby windsurfingmama » July 3rd 2020, 8:07pm

Hi, I'm new to AstroSafari.com. I read about the shore power relays going bad in the Carson Power Station converter.
We have a1990 Provan Tiger Popup. Our converter is not working. My husband has spent many hours trying to determine the problem. Our lights work when on shore power but not when unplugged, but our waterpump still works sometimes when unplugged. All fuses are fine. If we were to replace the Carson, What would you recommend as a replacement and will it fit in the hole without modification or will we be modifying under the seat? Thanks for any help and insight you can give us.
Sincerely,
Windsurfingmama
windsurfingmama
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: V6 2wd Tiger popup

Re: 1990 Chevy Astro Provan Tiger GT Pop-Up Camper

Postby windsurfingmama » July 3rd 2020, 9:33pm

Hi, We have a 1990 Provan Tiger. We are having electrical problems in the living area. The lights come on with shore power but not unplugged, but the water pump works intermittently unplugged. My husband has tried to trouble shoot it. We are now thinking we need to replace the original Carson Power Pack converter. Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement which will fit and do the job? Thanks for any suggestions and advice.
Sincerely,
Windsurfingmama

AstroWill wrote:Well actually my Tiger has been parked for a while, but it's just about to come out of storage for a trip this summer, however there are always a ton of things that I need/want to work on with it, unless of course I find a CX in my price range, then the GT will likely go up for sale.

Onward to your problem, the wires run from the pop top, down the drivers side corner of the folding mechanism, then down behind the fridge, behind the drawers, under the heater vents, under the shower, and into the back of the converter. I believe the wires are red or orange, converting into blue going into the converter. Check for power at those wires coming out of the converter first.

Connecting to shore power is very relevant here, thanks for mentioning it. There are two relays in the converter, which switches from the battery to running off of the converter when you connect to shore power. I would be willing to bet that it is one of those relays inside of the converter that is failing, I know that mine are, sometimes a tap on the converter will get them going again. You can however if you are handy replace those relays on the board for minimal cost. However there are MUCH better converters available these days that will really take much better care of your house battery should you choose to replace the converter.

Anyway, check for voltage on the, blue(?) wires coming out of the box, and also check the breakers there. If you are comfortable with electricity, you can manually engage the relay inside the converter to confirm if that is the issue.

Edit: If you don't have a volt meter, grab a cheap one from Harbor Freight or something to keep in the van for diagnosing issues like this. The older the vehicle gets, the more likely electrical problems will crop up, a simple $3 one from HF will work just fine for most things.
windsurfingmama
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: V6 2wd Tiger popup

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » November 24th 2020, 1:39pm

AstroWill wrote:Wanted to get a new key cut from the factory key code. The dealer wanted $20 just to look up the code, and $5 for the key. INSANE! So I went to my favorite parts store, Autozone and bought a new ignition cylinder with 2 keys for $14. Just don't forget to rent the special tool to depress the lock ring so that you can get the snap-ring out, that was a refundable $20.

aaikoaadh.jpg

I suppose this may have been true in 2011, but in 2020 I was very happy to get two keys for $30!

Nice thread, I knew you to be a proponent of Tigers but not a three time owner, congrats!

3X on the nice find, when I started looking for a van last year I'd been keeping an eye out for smaller Class C's, but too rich for my blood. Even models from the 80s in good shape were 10-15K +, the only one I found in my price range had a ceiling leak and floor rot under it, but none were Tigers or Astro models.
97 Astrofari Conversion Van 62k 64k miles, 65k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: RWD GMC grille

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 25th 2020, 1:09am

Considering that the cylinders wear, it was just a better deal all around for me. Just did another Jeep the same way, but the cylinder was so worn it would just flop around in there. There I had to recode the cylinder so the key matches the door. On our older vans the keys are separate, with the newer ones it's the same key and I would have probably just gotten a new key cut if the cylinder was still in good shape.

LOL, I know, they were such good deals that I couldn't pass them up. I do like having two of them because if one gets totaled, just grab a flight back and grab another one while searching for a replacement or waiting on repairs.
I don't really need three of them, and will actually begin selling them soon. Plan on getting another Tiger on a full sized truck platform for full timing.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

PreviousNext