1999 astro cargo build thread

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 1999 astro cargo build thread

Postby stent [OP] » April 6th 2018, 11:57pm

here's a bunch of pics (i always see "more pics" in member comments, so here ya go) i took from installing a belltech front swaybar no. 5428 last summer.
the install was pretty uneventfull except for getting the nuts on the the link bolts. the bushings were too stiff to squish everything together by hand and leave enough threads for the nut to start (note : the bar fits the same flipped either way). i put a small floor jack on the bolt head under the control arm, left the top bushing off, put the nut on and scrunched the remaining bushings down, then there was enough room to get the top bushing on and do the final tightening. note the pictures of the original hollow bar. the cracked end near the link bolt hole seems to be pretty common from reading other members comments here. the handling improvement with the new bar was HUGE !!. two big thumbs up if you've been contemplating the purchase.
DSCN6362.JPG

DSCN6364.JPG

DSCN6365.JPG

DSCN6367.JPG

DSCN6374.JPG

DSCN6375.JPG

DSCN6376.JPG

DSCN6377.JPG

DSCN6379.JPG
SAFETY FIRST !!!

DSCN6380.JPG

DSCN6381.JPG

DSCN6382.JPG

DSCN6388.JPG

DSCN6389.JPG

DSCN6390.JPG

DSCN6391.JPG

DSCN6392.JPG

DSCN6393.JPG

DSCN6394.JPG

DSCN6395.JPG

DSCN6396.JPG

DSCN6397.JPG

DSCN6398.JPG

DSCN6399.JPG
Attachments
DSCN6400.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: rwd cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Alpine's 1995 AWD Safari Adventurevan Build Thread
    by AlpineVan » October 23rd 2020, 5:50pm in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by jimi_lee View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 11:19pm
  • 2001 Chevy Cargo Camper Build
    by rstro » June 4th 2020, 2:59pm in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by augidog View the latest post
    June 8th 2020, 3:43am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 25th 2020, 9:08am

Postby stent [OP] » April 7th 2018, 12:15am

a few more pics from the front bar install.
DSCN6401.JPG

DSCN6402.JPG

DSCN6403.JPG

DSCN6404.JPG
crack in factory bar

DSCN6405.JPG
tools i used
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » April 9th 2018, 5:20am

TurnNburn wrote:
MI_Ghost wrote:
Most of the 2nd gen passenger interior will pop right into place. You will have an issue with the rear door pillar trim though. The passenger model has tabs spot welded on the rear pillar to hold the back edge of the lower panels, and the complete pillar trim pieces.

X2

Welcome to the board

like you guys said, there's an issue with the d-pillar trim.
i got the brackets to mount the d-pillar corner trim (piece with the speakers) installed by using the trim pieces as templates like on the lower panels.
i got two pairs at the junkyard and hacked holes in one set so i could see what i was doing. i temporarily mounted the rear headliner i got at the junkyard to get the position just right. i'm using 1/4" pop rivets on all of the brackets, they won't be going anywhere.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » April 9th 2018, 5:25am

a few more pics of the d-pillars.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby multimoto » April 9th 2018, 5:41am

hey stent, I like the way youre doing the cargo interior. whats the plan for the area were the windows would be?

heres a cargo that is on craigslist with an interior that is really smooth too.

'87 GMC Safari Explorer
multimoto
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: multimoto has been a member for 2 full yearsmultimoto has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1987
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Explorer

Postby sixsix » April 9th 2018, 9:32pm

stent wrote: ... 1/4" pop rivets on all of the brackets ...

2 sets of interior panels... cut holes on one of them to see rivet locations...
Now That's some determination.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby 1lowcab » April 9th 2018, 9:35pm

Good work! :thumbup:
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » April 9th 2018, 9:50pm

stent wrote:i got two pairs at the junkyard and hacked holes in one set so i could see what i was doing. i temporarily mounted the rear headliner i got at the junkyard to get the position just right. i'm using 1/4" pop rivets on all of the brackets, they won't be going anywhere.

Smart! Great work!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby stent [OP] » April 14th 2018, 9:42pm

multimoto wrote:hey stent, I like the way youre doing the cargo interior. whats the plan for the area were the windows would be?

my van came new with an Adrian electrician's interior package - i got rid of the shelves but i kept the full length rubber floor mat and the bulkheads behind the front seats.
i'm going to reuse the Adrian rubber mat for the top layer of a sound deadener and passenger van carpet sandwich.
while on one of my junkyard adventures i found a full size long bed van with a full length cargo mat.
this mat had the same diamond pattern in the rubber as my floor mat, and i got the idea that covering over the window blanks with pieces of this floor mat might be a good plan - i'm no interior decorator but i think that it might kind of tie everything together.
i got the big mat out of the junkyard van; it's rolled up in the back of my van and that's where i'm at now.
i've also thought about skinning off the carpet on the interior panels and adhering more pieces of the mat there as well.
i'll try it on the rear passenger side window blank and the panel underneath it first to see how it looks.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » April 14th 2018, 10:05pm

:ty: :ty:
thanks guys for all of your kind words !!!!
i have some more catch-up posting to do then i'll be getting back to new work - the weather is getting nice and it determines my progress as i don't have a garage, but i'm having fun and i'm not in any hurry.
spent the winter collecting parts.
i have a left rear passenger door in my kitchen that needs installing !
i've decided that changing the side and rear doors will be easier than trying to do a quality install of the passenger interior door panels onto the cargo doors - the factory cargo door stampings don't have the punched out holes for the passenger panel mounting clips.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » April 16th 2018, 12:48am

stent wrote:...left rear passenger door

I keep trying to figure this out.
LOL

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby multimoto » April 16th 2018, 3:17am

the thick rubber bed mats are great sound dampers but they are heavy too. I think the matching carpet would look better there instead anyway.
'87 GMC Safari Explorer
multimoto
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: multimoto has been a member for 2 full yearsmultimoto has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1987
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Explorer

Postby stent [OP] » November 7th 2018, 3:01am

i had a great summer hope you all did too !
i posted more pics in the gallery and will add a few here too.
i decided to change the side door and rear doors to passenger van versions because it's just too much to make all of the panel mounting holes & get them perfect, plus i wanted to have the tinted tip-out windows and rear door speakers. i gave up trying to find good white doors but found pretty good wrong color ones
door1.jpg
side door prepped
that i got repainted (i haven't installed them yet, they look nice, no pics yet).
i'm also still plugging away at the interior, i found that the roof ribs are all prepunched for dome light brackets so i have three in a row behind the overhead console.
will add more soon..
Attachments
door2.jpg
rear doors prepped
headx3.jpg
dome lights
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby DansAstro » January 1st 2019, 4:48am

Looks good! I like the extra light! Seems like an easy modification, no?
DansAstro
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: DansAstro has been a member for 1 full year
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby stent [OP] » February 5th 2019, 10:32am

yes, not bad - the headliner does have to go in & out a couple of times, but i'm doing other stuff at the same time so it's not as big a deal as it would be if the headliner was fully installed.
when i got the add on lights at the junkyard i cut out a chunk of headliner with the hole for the dome light to use as a template, and also a trashed dome light housing that i could test fit & draw on with a sharpie.
the metal dome light bracket just screws right onto the roof rib, everything on the rib is prestamped. with my headliner out and light bracket screwed on, i marked the center (side to side) of the spare light housing & screwed it onto the bracket. i transferred the center marks on the housing to the roof rib, then measured & marked the rib ends where the side edges of the headliner ends up. i put the headliner back in, marked the headliner edges where the roof rib marks were & took the headliner back out. then using those marks i drew a line on the back of the headliner side to side. then i marked a center line lengthwise on the back of the headliner. i marked the centers on the edge of the hole in the junkyard headliner chunk, lined up the marks with the headliner lines and sharpie marked the factory hole shape. i cut the new hole out with a utility knife and the fit was perfect. i haven't wired them yet as i will be changing the rear wiring harness to a passenger van harness, then i'll do everything at once. while i was doing this i also trimmed holes in the headliner for the metal cargo van bulkhead brackets. with the overhead console lights and row of dome lights i think i've got my interior lighting taken care of.
one note - the headliner has a small molded in bump around the original light, i may have to put in a spacer to squish the headliner tight against the add on lights but won't know for sure until i put on the velcro strips on the roof ribs.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » February 6th 2019, 4:39pm

Making progress, looking good!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby stent [OP] » February 21st 2019, 5:57am

for my finished interior plan i need to cover the side window blanks with something - the best thing i could think of was to use sheet metal.

SOOOO... i sawzalled out the side of a junkyard van & took the piece home.
somebody had already taken the side door, making the hack job easier.
i like to try out my ideas on the junkyard stuff first in case they don't work out.
my thought here was the outer body skin should already be pre-shaped for a perfect fit against the inner body stamping, plus it's smooth & plenty strong for adhering whatever trim out covering i decide to use (carpet, rubber, etc).
i used an air cutoff tool to separate the skin from the inner piece.
sht1.jpg
inner body stamping piece with skin removed

there is a decent sized flange on the inner body stamping around where the passenger van window would mount. i made a cardboard template to cut out the junkyard skin - the thick edge around the template is the flange area that i can play with for mounting the cut-out piece.
sht2.jpg
cardboard template

here's the cut-out piece to cover the window blank & the scraps.
sht3.jpg
trimmed skin

i used the inner stamping piece from the junkyard van to trial fit the cut-out. it lays in perfectly!! i made the sharpie marks on the skin from the inside before i separated the pieces. the inside of the thick edge on the template lines up with the sharpie marks to make sure the cut-out piece ends up in the same relative position on the inner stamping.
sht4.jpg
this could work

this picture shows the wide flange that i'm using for a mounting surface, and the small flange where the passenger van window would seal to the body. an extra degree of difficulty for me is that the plastic interior trim pieces end at the small flange. i'll have to do some plastic trimming.
sht5.jpg
flanges

first trial fit of interior panels
sht6.jpg
panel test fit

i decided to use rivnuts & bolts to attach the cutout. the bolts should stay tight, won't touch the outer skin of my van, and if the cutout ever needs to come off it will be easier than if i used rivets.
sht7.jpg
nut

got this at amazon to set rivnuts for the additional clothes hanger hooks that passenger vans have - the holes were prepunched in my cargo van & the extra hooks do a lot to hold the headliner in.
sht8.jpg
nut setter

it's easy to use and works fine.
sht9.jpg

sht10.jpg

sht11.jpg

sht12.jpg

sht13.jpg

sht14.jpg

sht15.jpg

first try at trimming the trim - the carpet runs under the trim, the nap should hide the cut edge if i decide to use carpet - practice on cutting should result in a better edge.
sht16.jpg
trimmed trim

that's where i'm at now with the window blank thing - when i start drilling the rivnut holes in my van i'll definately be using bit stops to keep from poking little dents all over.
will have to go junkyarding with the sawzall again to get a good drivers side skin.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » February 21st 2019, 3:19pm

Wow - you're pretty good at this stuff.
And what great ideas.
Thanks for the First Rate photo set and Descr.

Look forward to seeing more & reason for more Bookmarks...

Mike

golly - I've run plumb outa' EXCLAMATION POINTS ! ( cept' that one there )

sixsix

Postby stent [OP] » March 7th 2019, 10:48pm

i've been investigating stereo system components & wanted to try posting a link to an interesting head unit i found on amazon.
if it works i'll do some more links later ...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KZL2YNM/?coliid=I37R582ZBT3ZP2&colid=2P4BFM0OVBAM1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
the mounting size is double din.
concerning installation of this head unit, if you were to move the astro heat/ac control box down & then mount the pumpkin on top i think you would end up with a nice big screen for gps nav that you wouldn't have to look down/away from the road to see.
the repositioned heat/ac control should be accessible with the adjustable pumpkin screen pushed up.
this screen would also be nice for a backup camera & obdII gauges.
there isn't a built-in cd/dvd player but there are inputs for an external one.
this is a second generation head unit, the first gen was android 7.1
i haven't bought one of these so i have no idea what the quality is like.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby WinnieVan » March 9th 2019, 3:27pm

Wow! Solid build, can’t believe I’ve missed this!!

Certainly a labor of love!! Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WinnieVan
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

PreviousNext