1999 astro cargo build thread

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 1999 astro cargo build thread

Postby stent [OP] » March 11th 2019, 5:59am

WinnieVan wrote:can’t believe I’ve missed this!!

must be good karma floating around, the spirit of kreskin, tingling spidey senses, something :shrug: .
friday i was reading a discussion about 11" rear drum brakes which i knew nothing about - you were the last poster.
i decided i'd like to find a set of the 11" brakes.
saturday you found my build thread & i found a set of 1996 caprice 11" drum brakes at the jy.
key the spooky music.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: rwd cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Alpine's 1995 AWD Safari Adventurevan Build Thread
    by AlpineVan » October 23rd 2020, 5:50pm in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by jimi_lee View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 11:19pm
  • 2001 Chevy Cargo Camper Build
    by rstro » June 4th 2020, 2:59pm in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by augidog View the latest post
    June 8th 2020, 3:43am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 11:36pm

Postby stent [OP] » April 2nd 2019, 12:33am

here's some pics of the junkyard drum brakes :
CAP1.jpg
CAP3.jpg
CAP4.jpg
CAP5.jpg
CAP6.jpg
CAP7.jpg
CAP8.jpg
CAP9.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » May 15th 2019, 3:23am

i bought this NOS goodwrench mirror kit.
velvac1.jpg
velvac mirror kit box

the goodwrench kit is made by Velvac, & comes with all stainless steel mirror frames, flat & wide angle mirror heads (non-heated), mounting hardware & frame locating template specifically designed for astro/safari's, all in one box.
i dug through the Velvac online catalog and found heated mirror heads that fit the goodwrench kit frames & ordered a set of flat & wide angle heated heads.

here's what the heated heads mounted on the frames look like :
velvac2.jpg
mirror back

velvac3.jpg
mirror front

i'll flesh out the description of what i'm doing as i take more pics & do some scans but wanted to ask a question here.
does anyone know if heated mirrors were a factory oem option on astro/safari's ??????
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby The Drummer » May 15th 2019, 4:44am

I like the mirrors .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby stent [OP] » June 1st 2019, 6:22am

a little more on the heated mirror stuff.
after looking in owner's manual downloads & trying to dig up part numbers on the internet, i haven't found any confirmation of there ever being a heated outside rear view mirror option available from GM for the astro/safari.

BUT, in studying my '99 factory service manual wiring section, it appears that the factory may have actually prewired a lot of the runs for a heated mirror setup, even in my barn door/cargo version. in the manual, the mirror heat circuit was tied in to the factory rear dutch door defogger circuit.
i'll make some scans of the applicable manual section when i get a chance & edit them into this post later.
for now i'll run through what i found starting at the underhood fuse box, the first place evidence shows up, with my van matching what the manual describes.

picture of my underhood fuse box legend inside the lid. note the labeling for the right column, bottom fuse :
ip3.jpg
underhood fuse box legend

pic of my underhood fuse box. the 40A fuse shown on the label is installed :
ip4.jpg
underhood fuse box

in the manual, the combined heated mirror/rear window defogger power feed wire passes through the timer/relay activated by the pushbutton on the hvac control panel. since my van has cargo doors and no rear defog or control for it, i got a junkyard hvac panel with the rear defog button/timer to play with & hopefully use as a control for my mirrors when i install them.

picture of my still connected hvac panel unscrewed from the dash & me holding the JY control underneath it - my thumb is around the clump of snipped off vacuum tubes, the green circuit board for the defogger timer is visible on the bottom right :
ip6.jpg
hvac controls

i haven't played with the wiring at the hvac control yet, but it appears that the thick red power feed wire going into the connector (the first connector to the right of my hand) on my van's wire harness is changed to orange on the JY panel harness - hopefully i'll be ok.
mental note to myself : start bringing a sharpie to the JY and write model year & basic info on the parts i buy to help with any compatibility issues.

in the manual, after the feed wire comes out of the hvac control (the purple wire on the connector installed in my van as described above), it is spliced/split in two with both wires going to the instrument panel fuse box. one wire goes to a 30A fuse for the rear defogger. the other wire goes to a separate 10A mirror heat fuse. again, things seem to match up with what i found in my van.

picture of my instrument panel fuse box lid. note the labeling in left column, second fuse down is for the rear window defog. fifth fuse down is for the mirror heat.
IP-BOX-LEGEND.jpg
1999 cargo instrument panel fuse box legend

picture of the fuse panel. note fuse location No. 2 is for the mirror heat, with a fuse installed. fuse location No. 5 is for the rear window defogger, no fuse installed. i don't know yet if the fuse box is actually wired for either circuit.
IP-BOX.jpg
'99 cargo instrument panel fuse box

in the manual, the mirror heat fuse output wire is orange. it splits into left & right side harnesses which also contain the front door speaker wiring.

this pic is of the driver's door connector, behind the kick panel, with the orange feed wire as described in the manual. i'm holding the connecter for the speaker wire harness that goes into the door - no orange wire, this is where the factory wiring stops.
ip5.jpg
door harness connector

thats where i'm at now on the mirror heat thing - none of my theory has been tested yet. if this all works out, i should be able to push my junkyard rear window defog button and have a live, fused, timed, 10A heated mirror circuit terminating at my front door kick panels, with connectors just waiting to be plugged in to. one can always wish...

while i was in the van doing the above pictures, i took this shot of a temporary jumper harness i made.
ip7.jpg
jumper

this is where the main rear body harness plugs in by the instrument panel fuse box. with what i'm doing in my build process i'll end up disconnecting this more than once - i'll be using a passenger van body harness when i'm finished. i didn't want to break the locking tabs on the connector that comes out of the fuse box while i'm working, so on one of my JY excursions i cut out a like harness on either side of the connection. i matched the bare wire ends together, wire-nutted them & snipped out the locking tabs on the JY connector bodies. friction has been holding the connectors together just fine without locking them together, and i'm not putting any wear on the original connector that stays in the van.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » June 6th 2019, 7:09am

some pics and a writeup about a safari grill shell i got at the junkyard and an eBay billet grill insert i mounted in it.
i've been meaning to post about this for quite a while now because it turned out really nice.

what i started with :
DSCN7012.jpg
original astro grill on the van, JY safari grill & ebay insert

i didn't know if i wanted to cut out some or all of the safari grill bars. i started by cutting out the gmc logo so i could lay the insert against the safari grill for a test fit.
an air die grinder & cutoff wheel worked fine :
DSCN7019.jpg
gmc out

DSCN7014.jpg

DSCN7024.jpg
a wedgie

i never found a point where i liked the insert laying over part of the original grill bars.
i could see the stub remnants through the grill and the insert wasn't recessed the way i wanted it.
i ended up with all of the original grill cut out.
DSCN7016.jpg

DSCN7017.jpg

DSCN7018.jpg

DSCN7380 3.jpg

the mounting hardware included with the insert was lame :
DSCN7022.jpg
uh, no thanks

i made a run to the neighborhood ace hardware and got better stuff.
DSCN7510.jpg
ace is the place

DSCN7511.jpg

DSCN7512.jpg
mmmm.... black rubber sandwich

the grill insert itself is thick, strong & nicely made.
DSCN7020.jpg
grill insert mounting tab

the grill insert has 4 mounting tabs on the top, none on the bottom. i drilled the bottom grill bar for 2 bolts in the center.
DSCN7513.jpg
back side

DSCN7514.jpg
closeup

the ace hardware stuff holds the insert really tight, no worries about it being weak.
everything snugged up without binding, warping or tensioning either the insert or the JY grill housing,
it feels like one solid piece.
DSCN7515.jpg
done

i don't have a pic handy of the mounted grill but i'll add one soon.
i'll also see if the insert is still on eBay, if so i'll post a link.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby icebrrg3rd » June 6th 2019, 7:36pm

NICE! Now slap a bow-tie on it...

Very detailed on your grille build, just wondering if you like the sealed beams over the composite? Or just didn't want the hassle of switching over? Personally, I like the sealed beams better.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby The Drummer » June 6th 2019, 9:30pm

Nice work right there .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby sixsix » June 6th 2019, 9:35pm

That finished product is going to look Great, Right ?

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby stent [OP] » June 8th 2019, 1:25am

hi andrew - i like the look of the single headlight & safari grill best so i never really considered the composite light setup.
here's some "grill on the van" pics :
GR1.jpg

the 2 bolts that i added on the grill bottom were key to making the mounting strong.
i didn't add any more bolts to the bottom outsides because the grill insert bars wanted to bend & the plastic surround wanted to warp.
the rubber fender washers keep the grill insert off of the plastic surround.
i was going to slice the washers off flush with the grill face so they don't show but i never did cut them.
GR2.jpg

GR3.jpg

GR4.jpg

closeup of added bolt on grill bottom bar.
GR5.jpg
took the pics with the van dirty - looks real shiny when clean

GR6.jpg

next thing i'll write about is the Hella DOT legal H4 headlights i installed.
GR7.jpg

stay tuned
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » June 13th 2019, 8:27pm

i got these Hella H4 lights (No. 003427291) a while back & was going to install them when one of my old sealed beams burned out.
the sealed beams never did go bad so i went ahead & installed the Hella's.

bunch of pics of the new lights :

hella1.jpg

hella2.jpg

hella3.jpg

hella4.jpg

hella5.jpg

hella6.jpg

hella7.jpg

hella8.jpg

hella9.jpg

hella10.jpg

hella11.jpg

hella12.jpg

note that the Hella housings are not sealed - this pic shows the vent hole with a small file in it.
hella13.jpg

more pics showing installation :

4 screws remove the bulb retaining ring without disturbing the headlight aim.
hella14.jpg

dirty connector
hella 15.jpg

cleaned with tiny file & wd40.
hella15.jpg

dangling...
hella16.jpg

rear pic of old sealed beam - note clearance gap between bulb & sheetmetal bucket.
hella 17.jpg

rear pic of Hella with mounting ring screwed tight - note the gray rubber bulb socket cover is mashed into sheetmetal bucket.
hell 18.jpg

i don't think it's a good idea to leave the Hella's installed like this - i'll go with it for now but the next time i go junkyarding i'll grab a set of buckets & try to cut them up so the lights do not touch.
hella19.jpg

i really like the new lights & they should be fine once i cut out the buckets & eliminate the clearance issue.
the low beam illumination is a huge improvement.
the pattern goes way out to the sides & is especially helpful in the rain.
the high beams are brighter as well.

here's the amazon link for the lights :
https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-003427291-190x132mm-Conversion-Headlamp/dp/B0002M9QRE
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby tungtide » June 13th 2019, 8:53pm

Nice work, so happy to see you get the 11 inch brakes. I tried and failed went back to stock.
Ken
tungtide
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby stent [OP] » June 14th 2019, 1:17am

thanks tungtide, finding the 11" brakes was pure dumb luck.
i still have good shoes on my original 9" drums so i'm not pressed for time to get the 11" stuff installed.
my front pads will need changing sooner, so when they go i will probably do all four corners at once.

i found these Wilwood front calipers while surfing that might be a worthwhile upgrade to complement the 11" drums :
wilwood.jpg

here's the link at speedway motors :
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-140-11291-D52-Front-Brake-Caliper-Kit-2-In-Piston-1-04-Rotor,101359.html

i've got no clue as to what if any effect this new setup might have on the front-to-rear bias, but if the bias is OK i don't believe the abs system itself would be affected.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » June 23rd 2019, 4:36am

part of my geezer training involves going to various doctor's offices. i like being able to squeeze into the kaiser parking garage - i use the van's radio antenna like a curb feeler on the garage ceiling. i'm interested in doing a 2" body lift & getting 235/75R15 tires the next time i need new treads but i dunno :
roof1.jpg
antenna touches this yellow bar

these brackets on the roof are the mounts for the electrician's ladder bars that came with the van new :
roof2.jpg
ladder bar brackets

i don't want to take the brackets off for additional clearance because i still put the bars back on occasionally to haul a ladder, canoe, etc.

regarding the body lifting, i actually have a small rear lift now after installing monroe overload shocks.

as purchased i had a tiny bit of rear spring sag that i wanted to address without changing the springs :
roof5.jpg
bit of rear sag before overload shocks

overload shocks were my choice to get the sag out.
monroe shock box :
roof7.jpg
shock box

rear shocks on :
roof6.jpg
shocks on, rear sway bar in process

bit of lift now with new overload shocks :
roof3.jpg
bit of rear lift after overload shocks

no way the van fits in garages with the bars on, but they come off real easy, 2 bolts on each bar end :
roof8.jpg
ladder bars on

for reference, the kayak measured 17' long :
roof9.jpg
w/kayak & ladder

i like the new rear shocks but they really increase the ride stiffness when unloaded - i wouldn't recommend them for a passenger van unless you're towing something.
when driving empty the van feels better the faster you go.
when driving with a load the van feels really smooth & not strained by the extra weight.
i don't need tires right now so i'm not going to make any decision about a lift until i do need them. :wave:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » August 9th 2019, 9:35pm

scored this old beater camping trailer to make a little mini-shop & storage for parts.
it's a Skylark ! :rockon:
skylark.jpg
TAIL WAGGING THE DOG
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astrofarian » August 10th 2019, 3:52am

Awesome idea for a mini-shop! What is that....22ft or so? looks like it's gutted already? Hope to see more of this....
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby stent [OP] » September 4th 2019, 4:28am

i've collected most of the parts for a good sound system & am starting to install stuff.
i bought infinity speakers & amplifiers : two 12" subwoofers, one pair of 4"x 6" for the rear d-pillars, two pairs of 6-1/2" component type for the front & rear doors, one 5-channel amp & one 2-channel amp.
i'm keeping the cargo van bulkheads behind the front seats & am mounting a subwoofer on each, using shallow, pickup truck type boxes.
DSCN2597.JPG
passenger side sub box mounted on rear face of bulkhead

DSCN2596.JPG
cut here

DSCN2582.JPG

DSCN2581.JPG
sub box is mounted with 4 bolts through the bulkhead

DSCN2587.JPG
t-nuts & gorilla goo

ggoo.jpg
t-nut with gorilla goo

ggoo1.jpg
pressed t-nuts into sub box with a big c-clamp

ggoo2.jpg

ggoo3.jpg
with the t-nuts installed i can bolt the sub box onto the bulkhead with the speaker already mounted in the box

temp.jpg
bolt & speaker hole locating template

the amplifiers each have a wired remote controller - i didn't want the controllers cluttering up the dash so i cut holes in the rearmost overhead console compartment lid to mount the controllers.
DSCN9831.JPG
console rear lid

DSCN9832.JPG
lid with holes

DSCN9834.JPG

lid.jpg

i'll get some more pictures ready & keep updating...also need to do some cleaning in the trailer as it's my staging area... :wave:
Last edited by stent on September 5th 2019, 1:56am, edited 5 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » September 4th 2019, 4:42am

Astrofarian wrote:Awesome idea for a mini-shop! What is that....22ft or so? looks like it's gutted already? Hope to see more of this....
-M!ke-

the inside length is about 16ft, i haven't put a tape to it yet from hitch to bumper.
it's totally gutted & was knee deep in junk.
the windows are all there & the door is good.
i was able to salvage a decapitated female mannequin torso from the junkpile for future use.
i'll take some pics & post them.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » September 4th 2019, 11:45am

Well, a nice stereo w/ remotes on the amps - cool.
Great idea using the 'Otherwise Useless Pockets' ( I think that's the actual Tech. Term. ) on the OH Console.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Astrofarian » September 4th 2019, 12:56pm

stent wrote:………………....
i was able to salvage a decapitated female mannequin torso from the junkpile for future use.
i'll take some pics & post them.

Uh.....we have a "special" section for that sort of thing around here. Just SAY'n...... :rofl:

-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

PreviousNext