1999 astro cargo build thread

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 1999 astro cargo build thread

Postby stent [OP] » September 6th 2019, 1:43am

pics of both amp controllers mounted in the console compartment lid :
CON.jpg

CON1.jpg

i found this factory fog light switch in a chevy express van at the junkyard.
CON2.jpg
express van fog light switch

it fits perfectly in the astro dash bezel.
CON3.jpg
perfect fit

CON4.jpg

i dug out the switch wire harness back to the relay & took it all home.
CON5.jpg

CON6.jpg

CON7.jpg

now i need to figure out the wiring pattern.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: rwd cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Alpine's 1995 AWD Safari Adventurevan Build Thread
    by AlpineVan » October 23rd 2020, 5:50pm in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by jimi_lee View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 11:19pm
  • 2001 Chevy Cargo Camper Build
    by rstro » June 4th 2020, 2:59pm in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by augidog View the latest post
    June 8th 2020, 3:43am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 11:36pm

Postby stent [OP] » October 16th 2019, 4:51am

i've been doing more work on the sound system. the amplifiers & speaker crossover networks will be hidden behind the driver's side interior panels between the gas filler & the rear wheel well. i plan on using the blower assembly from a junkyard rear heater to blast the amps with air to cool them. i got 2 autometer amp temperature gauges (#6392; one for each amp; amazon had a superduper sale) to keep tabs on how hot the amplifier heat sinks get - the gauges have a thermocouple that mounts right on the heat sinks.
con12.jpg
gauge thermocouples

i'll mount the gauges in the sunglasses storage compartment on the overhead console.
CON1.jpg
lid from overhead console - holesaw bit the edge of one hole but the angle spacer covers it

CON2.jpg
backside of lid with sunglasses holder removed

autometer makes gauge mounting angle rings so i should be able to see the gauge displays.
CON5.jpg
angle rings

CON3.jpg

gauges mounted on the console lid :
CON8.jpg

CON9.jpg

CON10.jpg

after i got the gauges mounted on the lid i hooked them up to a power supply to test them.......
con13.jpg
crap - one gauge is DOA

con14.jpg
i like the displays, they'll be easy to see/read

i tried swapping the harnesses but no good, problem is internal. i left both running for an hour or so, the bad gauge would alternate between "50" or "0".
con15.jpg

glad i tried them out before running the harness.
amazon is cool - they're sending another gauge & our UPS guy will pick up the dead one.
:wave:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » October 17th 2019, 3:41pm

Golly !!
Sounds ( sorry ) like you are building an actual 'Killer' stereo.

I'll be listening for it here in Ky. LOL

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » October 17th 2019, 4:00pm

This doesn't make me feel good about the quality of it's construction.
whatever you do- do not remove this label as it is holding everything together.jpg
whatever you do- do not remove this label as it is holding everything together.jpg (260.26 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby stent [OP] » October 17th 2019, 9:21pm

AstroWill wrote:This doesn't make me feel good about the quality of it's construction.
whatever you do- do not remove this label as it is holding everything together.jpg

i was snickering over that sticker statement myself - if you run your finger over the sticker you can feel an access hole to the gauge innards underneath - i was tempted to pull off the sticker on the dead gauge for a look-see (might have seen an obvious fix for the problem) but didn't want to void the warranty - hopefully the replacement will be fine, it's already on the way. :auto-ambulance:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » October 17th 2019, 10:17pm

lol, yea probably just a place to plug in for calibration or something like that.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby stent [OP] » October 18th 2019, 3:46am

more on the sound system :
i got two infinity 12" shallow depth # 1200S subwoofers to install - one behind each front seat, mounted to/through the cargo van bulkheads in shallow mdf boxes.
SUB11.jpg

SUB12.jpg

i mounted one subwoofer box to the passenger side bulkhead & did a little pic/description on my page 3.
i don't have anything hooked up to test the subwoofer with, but after mounting the box to the bulkhead, reinstalling the bulkhead in the van & thinking about what i did, i was pretty sure that a 12" subwoofer mounted to the single thickness of the metal bulkhead would make it buzz/rattle/resonate/suck - so i decided to heavy-duty the mounting.
i got another bulkhead set at the junkyard, took it home & removed my passenger side bulkhead again.
by turning the driver's side junkyard bulkhead piece around backwards, i can bolt it face to face with my passenger side bulkhead & have a double thickness sandwich.
i also got some 1/4" mdf sheet for meat in the middle.
the folded metal bulkhead edges match up on the top, inner side & the bottom.
i trimmed the outer edge of the junkyard piece to match the passenger side bulkhead outer edge.
with the bulkhead sandwich bolted together, there's no way it's going to rattle - but it is heavy (duty).
sub10.jpg
sub box & bulkhead sandwich

sub8.jpg
first cuts look raw/ragged, still have to smooth & trim

sub9.jpg
test fit grill & wire terminals

still have to trim the mdf sheet for the bulkhead window perforations :
sub5.jpg
from the back

our neighborhood welding shop made me these neat sheetmetal covers for the boxes :
sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

sub3.jpg

sub4.jpg

viewed from the rear the metal covers will hide the subwoofer boxes nicely, and with the grills right behind the seats they won't show from the front much either.
sub6.jpg

sub7.jpg

a little update on the mini-shop project aka "stent shack" :
DSCN1831.JPG
stent shack

i cleaned it out good & got it down to the inner wood framing & skin :
ss1.jpg
wall

ss2.jpg
front window

ss3.jpg
rear window

scrounged a good 6-gauge, 4-wire rv power cord & bought cord plugs & wall mount power outlet.
ss4.jpg

Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby RockridgeRockridge is online! » October 18th 2019, 9:06pm

Trailer looks really good and solid
RockridgeRockridge is online!
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 46
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Dirge » October 19th 2019, 1:41am

stent wrote:
i found this factory fog light switch in a chevy express van at the junkyard.
it fits perfectly in the astro dash bezel.

Would you happen to know what year it came out of? You got the wheels spinning in my head.
Dirge
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Dirge has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby stent [OP] » October 19th 2019, 6:34am

Rockridge wrote:Trailer looks really good and solid

thanks rockridge - whoever did the main gut job was pretty brutal & broke a few framing members, but i'll bet they had fun.
the lower right rear corner has water rot but hey, it's only a few pieces of wood.
someone has gooped all of the roof seams so they look ok.
i'm going to keep it super simple - insulate with styrofoam, cover it with 1/4" underlayment plywood & call it good.

hi dirge,
i don't remember the year on the express, but it had the old style nose & a major Clarion VHS !! audio/visual system.
take a look at this junkyard picture of a 1998 express :
1230-34632-10547679.jpeg
1998 express @ lkq

in the picture, on the dash, just above where the upper right steering wheel spoke is, that's where the switch would be - looks like it's either gone on this van or the blank-out cover is missing - hope this helps.

props to amazon - i already got my replacement temp gauge from them :
GA1.jpg
in the box

GA2.jpg
in the clear

it works too !
GA3.jpg

with the thermocouples clipped together...
GA5.jpg

both gauges are right on with each other :
GA4.jpg

miso happy !!!
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » October 19th 2019, 2:14pm

Dirge wrote:
stent wrote:i found this factory fog light switch in a chevy express van at the junkyard.

Would you happen to know what year it came out of? You got the wheels spinning in my head.

Late 90s early 2000s.
95-2000(02?) Escalade, Express, Sierra, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Dirge » October 21st 2019, 11:20pm

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I've seen AC outlets and USB covers on newer vans and was wondering if they're the same size.
Dirge
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Dirge has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby stent [OP] » November 28th 2019, 2:46am

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE - WHEELWELL STUFFING : General Grabber AT2, size 255/70R15.
s-l1600-2.jpg

:text-link: https://www.amazon.com/General-Grabber-AT2-Radial-Tire/dp/B00521F4EE
comp1.tiff
(58.72 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

comp2.tiff
(201.04 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

this seems to be a "yes, no, maybe it fits" size.
i'll keep a lookout for a pair of cheap, near junk tires in this size - i've got two extra 15" x 6.5" chrome clad factory wheels i can try them on with.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » November 30th 2019, 7:57am

on my headliner project i'm left with a hole in the headlining where the middle seat shoulder harness mounts to the roof rib on a passenger van.
ruf10.jpg
hole

i've thought about cutting a piece out of another headliner to make a patch but no matter what i do it'll leave some kind of a seam or scar.
i decided to cover the hole using the passenger van trim piece that covers the harness winder/mount area, but that roof rib is more complex on the passenger so on my cargo van there's nothing to mount the trim piece to.
so.....sawzall fun at the junkyard - cut out that area from a passenger van & took it home :
ruf6.jpg
piece of roof

ruf5.jpg
from the inside

hopefully i can whittle out and rivet on a piece of the junkyard section that allows me to just snap the cover on.
ruf1.jpg
cover snapped on

ruf7.jpg
FYI : body structure cross section

ruf8.jpg
sawzall cut glass for about an inch then CRACK

i'll do more pics when i trim the piece to fit.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby Wiley » December 3rd 2019, 5:03pm

Hahaha, ok I did not see that coming.

I ditched the belts a long time ago as well. I like having that seat belt thing, it makes a nice compartment up out of the way for shades, keys, wallet ect. while still keeping them within reach when I am sleeping in the back. You should open up that whole a bit more as it is a little tight getting your hand in there, and slap some paint on it.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby stent [OP] » July 16th 2020, 2:03am

i haven't posted anything on my build thread lately so here's a few pics from the junkyard today.
i cut the driver's side sheet metal out of a safari cargo van with the trusty cordless sawzall to get the skin for the interior window blank covers i'm making.
20200715_135617_Burst01.jpg

20200715_135641_Burst01.jpg

20200715_135702_Burst01.jpg

i've been keeping an eye out for a good panel to cut out & finally found a good JY cargo van organ donor.
the cutout piece is in good shape, a few little dings from the inside out behind the drivers seat that i can practice "dolly whacking" on.
now i have to trim out the portions that i will use - it's too much cutting to try trimming the pieces at the junkyard with battery power so i just got the whole van side & took it home.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » October 15th 2020, 4:43am

i've become interested in the Mercruiser marine MPI intake manifolds for the Vortec V6 & V8 engines. i like the way the fuel injectors are mounted and the fact that the plenum doesn't have the plastic injector spider in it any more. my van is running great right now, but it seems that eventually we all have to dig out the spider and do the change to a new one. i know it will be a lot more work to get up and running with this total intake swap but i've warmed up to it. if i buy a V6 marine setup i'll add it to my parts stash, learn about it as much as i can, and try to acquire the parts & pieces i need now, before i'm pressed for time to get it done. i found a thread at Pacific Performance Engineering pertaining to the V8 manifolds and wanted to paste a link for it here, for future reference & for anybody here with interest in the subject. that thread started in 2005 and is still active, now 60 pages long - it'll take a while to go through it - WHEW

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2f70e041f6

2 pics i pulled from the PPE thread :
cpi-wired.jpg
marine v8 manifold - wiring the injectors

complete1.jpg
marine v8 manifold - throttle body spacer keeps the cruise control cable connection off the fuel rail
complete1.jpg (56.33 KiB) Viewed 291 times

below is a link to a thread here at astrosafari with pics of a V6 marine manifold :
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... e#p1412594
i don't think the OP ever used the manifold, the thread fizzled out in 2018 with the manifold still in bubble wrap.
orgasm2.jpg
astrosafari thread pic

orgasm1.jpg
astrosafari thread pic
Last edited by stent on October 15th 2020, 11:29pm, edited 2 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » October 15th 2020, 11:21pm

brand new Mercruiser 4.3L Vortec V6 marine intake setups with 4-bolt mount, drive-by-wire throttle bodies are available on ebay right now in close-out-sale status for about $400.00. these manifolds were designed for 2008 and newer engines. the manifolds are 2-piece, with a cast iron base and cast aluminum upper piece. this marine base will physically fit earlier 4.3L engines with Vortec heads that have the 8-bolt attachment intake manifold. compared to the astro van vortec 4.3L engine intake manifold with spider-type fuel injection, the marine intake mounting surface for the throttle body is at the same height, and the throttle body location front-to-rear is in the same place, so the original astro/safari intake air box, tube & TB cap assembly can be used.

top-view pic of currently available marine v6 assembly - note that the throttle body mounts with 4-bolts :
s-l1600-1 copy.jpg
4-bolt TB manifold

Mercruiser 4.3L marine intake setups with 3-bolt mount, cable-drive throttle bodies were used on 2007 & earlier Vortec headed marine engines. the astro-safari vortec cable-drive throttle body for the spider-type fuel injection uses the same 3-bolt mount pattern. too bad i didn't know about these 3-bolt marine manifolds a few years ago when they went to close-out-sale status; i would have bought at least one. today i can't find any of this style for sale new - all gone i guess. this is the style of manifold sitting on bubble wrap in the pics i posted yesterday.

top-view pic of the gone type marine v6 assembly - this version has the 3-bolt throttle body :
120-F copy.jpg
3-bolt TB manifold
120-F copy.jpg (86.76 KiB) Viewed 259 times

the thread for the V8 marine intake swap i added the link for in my last post discussed using their original street-type, 3-bolt, cable-drive throttle body on the marine manifold. that is what i plan to do as well, but i'll need an adapter to go from the 4-bolt manifold pattern to the 3-bolt throttle body.
something like this - a Holley in basic black :
860026_011936.jpg
4-bolt manifold to 3-bolt throttle body mounting adapter
860026_011936.jpg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 259 times

i've got a spare throttle body that's going to come in handy here for test fitting & mockup. i got it at the junkyard with the all of the underhood components for a cruise control setup, which my van doesn't have now, but i would love to have cruise for road trips.
tb1.jpg
spare TB

compare my JY throttle body pic to the 3-bolt marine manifold pic and see how my cruise control cable mount is going to hit the marine manifold fuel rail. on the V8 blog their solution to this interference was to use a throttle body base spacer to raise the mount above the fuel rail - see the pic of engine in a truck in yesterday's post. i'll see what the base adapter i'll need to use does to help clearance in my situation. i've also read about people just cutting off the cruise control cable mount, or bending the mount out of the way - i'm not interested in either of those options.

while i've got the camera out i'll do a few more pics pertaining to the cruise control swap.....

at the JY i got the cruise module box, the cable that controls the throttle body, the bracket that the cable clips to by the throttle body, the throttle body with the cable still attached, the accelerator pedal cable, still attached to the throttle body, and a long pigtail of wire still connected by the plug to the control module. i got this stuff on one of the JY holiday sale days so i left it all hooked together even though i wasn't planning to use all of the pieces for my swap - the price was right then and the throttle body, cables and cable bracket are good for me now for mockup purposes.
tb2.jpg
cruise control assembly
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » October 27th 2020, 5:02am

big change in the weather here in denver sunday - fresh powder so fluffy it sucked right down into the hood vents when i turned on the heater fan - i hope some of this got up in the mountains to dump on the forest fires.
snowee.jpg
snowee

20201026_093541_Burst01.jpg
niplee
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » October 27th 2020, 5:54am

I have a friend in Steamboat and they got over 6".
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

PreviousNext