1994 Chevy Astro Van LT Rebuild

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

1994 Chevy Astro Van LT Rebuild

Postby dennis7815 [OP] » June 3rd 2017, 1:17am

5-21-2017 pic 1.JPG
Repaired van fully repainted and rust cut out and repaired by Jorge's Body Shop Homestead Florida 5-21-2017. check youtube for my videos
20170406-205744.JPG
Roof Rust Repair done by Jorge's Body Shop Homestead Florida
20170126-081453.JPG
Passenger side roofline was rusted clear through. Jorge's body shop homestead florida cutaway the rusted roof and welded in new metal and replaced windshield
20170406-205744.JPG
Roof Rust Repair done by Jorge's Body Shop Homestead Florida

I should have taken more before photographs. my videos are better and check out my videos at url
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... mVkp4T2t2g

I need help to repair my abs Kelsey Hayes 4WAL and electrical problems. I plan to replace the 100 amp alternator with 200 amp version made by DB electric and post to video and here soon
Original Poster [OP]
dennis7815
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: dennis7815 has been a member for 4 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 4 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 4 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT EXT 2WD CMFI

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1989 Cargo Rebuild
    by Slime » December 4th 2020, 8:21pm in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 8:40pm
  • 1996 AWD Cargo Van build into The Mountain Boogie Van
    by GaryMacGuyver » March 25th 2021, 1:50am in Projects/Builds
    4 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    March 29th 2021, 12:45am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 21st 2021, 12:22am

Re: 1994 Chevy Astro Van LT Rebuild

Postby AstroWill » June 3rd 2017, 1:34am

Sure looks a lot better!

What kind of load do you have that you are going with a 200amp alt?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby dennis7815 [OP] » June 3rd 2017, 1:55am

Factory tow package used to tow 20 foot boat that weighs under 5000 pounds. Factory rear A/C. The 100 or 105 amp alternators showed low voltage when I turn up the front and rear a/c's during rain with headlights on and wipers on. 160 amp version would have worked fine, but considering the 200 amp version was only $25 more so I opted for 200 amp from DB electric. I hope to post video and photos on internet soon after I install the 200 amp unit. I don't have any big stereo or electrical loads. I plan to replace the speakers soon with aftermarket speakers all around the van and post videos to internet. I hope to finish interior work over time a bit at a time since I am only one using the van often the only one in the van. Van is for south florida boat hauling and farm work. I grow avocados and mangos and other tropical fruit in Homestead Florida. I think this is the only project I have posted on this forum unless I am mistaken. I sometimes fail to remember everything I do on line.
Original Poster [OP]
dennis7815
Years of Membership: dennis7815 has been a member for 4 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 4 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 4 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » June 3rd 2017, 2:37am

Awesome! I was just wondering. I was going to say that you might want to check your connections/wiring, but I see in another post you said you have 42yrs of electronics work under your belt, so I'm sure you have already checked everything like that. Regardless, that charging wire is going to have to be upgraded anyway. Can't wait to see the install!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby dennis7815 [OP] » June 20th 2017, 5:42pm

AstroWill wrote:Awesome! I was just wondering. I was going to say that you might want to check your connections/wiring, but I see in another post you said you have 42yrs of electronics work under your belt, so I'm sure you have already checked everything like that. Regardless, that charging wire is going to have to be upgraded anyway. Can't wait to see the install!

Thanks for the tips. I have not checked everything yet and making small improvements since I got it out of the body shop 5/21/2017. The seats are being redone by local shop one seat at a time, I don't plan to do a full restore because I only need it to tow my boat around florida and do farm work. It looked so bad before I feared I was going to be stopped by police or the windshield would fall out if I hit the brakes too hard (LOL). Next I need to repair the backup lights that I hope is just the switch because I fear without the lights working when I backup someone may run into me not paying attention and parts are too difficult to find for this old van. I am also having trouble with the side door on the van does not want to lock all the time despite all new door motors so may be a poor ground.

I worked on air traffic control systems for FAA until I retired and I really miss working at all the airports in the caribbean nations and Florida and Georgia for over 42 years. I hope to find a new job as a contractor in the near future because I miss working near runways and watching the planes take off and land. I was technical support which is 2nd level supertech and engineering became involved if I ran into anything I couldn't fix. Fixing electrical problems on old van is difficult due to lack of good parts and fact that most people junk out vehicles instead of fixing them which to my mind is a shame but difficult to find people with skills required to restore and maintain older vehicles. With the excellent people I worked with, I found if I looked long enough, I would find the people with the skills needed to fix anything but a broken heart. Some of them were pretty crusty and you had to become friends with them first for them to share their knowledge for any given fix. I plan to keep working on my van's electrical system, but monsoon rains been keeping me indoors. When found fixes that "weren't in the manual" I would publish "technical exchange articles" (TEX's) the engineers panned calling them "expert procedures" or "technical notes" solutions that had no business in the technical instruction manuals. My articles often were the only way to help the young bloods know what the old graybeard heads knew about the older systems. I hope to find a solution for the Kelsey Hayes 4WAL, but from my research, not fixing it may be best option. I am very happy to have my van doing better and the drivetrain is doing ok so far so I am pretty happy with progress so far.
Original Poster [OP]
dennis7815
Alias (AKA):