White Wench '02

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: White Wench '02

Postby MI_Ghost » October 1st 2017, 3:43am

Coming along nicely!
A van liner kit would make quick work of the interior.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • new to the forum 02' awd safari
    by Shtone86 » February 27th 2020, 6:46am in Projects/Builds
    37 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    March 14th 2020, 7:13pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 5th 2020, 11:26pm

Postby Leeann_93 » October 1st 2017, 3:44am

Looks great!

Be careful with the knee. You don’t wanna mess anything up...
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby 1lowcab » October 1st 2017, 4:02am

lookin good! :thumbup:
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » October 1st 2017, 1:12pm

Thanks.
I'll have her working in a week or so and do the little items at a more leisurely pace, steering wheel replacement, headlight switch, drivers window is buggered up, rear shocks, radio and fix the heat. Add another set of shelves and organize the layout of tools and what hardware I really need to carry. The inner rocker on the driver's side is rusted out, only the section that the plastic step inside is bad. I'll cut it all out and redesign that bit, w/o the plastic to catch snow and salt from my boots. Probably do the pass side for good measure.

Safelight is coming next weekend for the windshield and when it's out we'll see how far the rust bubbles go.

MI_Ghost wrote:A van liner kit would make quick work of the interior.

Like this?
https://www.adriansteel.com/item/1023/1937/3057G
That stuff takes up to much space in a small van like ours. The inside surface of my walls are 3/8" thick from the highest rib of the van. The drivers side is the only wall that needs furring to flatten, the ply / FRP screws right onto the ceiling ribs and passenger back wall with only tape between the steel and the wood. I used a window tape this time rather than rubber because I got lazy but it seems to be ok. I had a squeak in one spot but it got quiet after a few miles.
Wood shelves won't rattle like steel and are infinitely custom. Steel or plastic are much more difficult to work with and you are limited to shelving that one company makes, the stuff just isn't mix n' match.
I won't use a bulkhead as they are always in the way, whether you want to recline or just reach back, a PITA all round IMO.
Safety? Dunno man, I've been running vans for work for many years, maybe I'm just lucky.
On the floor after bedliner I put 1/2" ply and a rubber mat from the '97. Rubber directly on the floor rusted in the '97 so I figured the ply will allow a bit of air. I'll let you know in 20 years.
Not to mention price. I'm a cheap SOB.

My knee? I had a 3rd kneecap. :eek:
A flat cyst just below, you know, the spot you kneel on all the time?
OUCH!!! :lol:
I got the staples removed Monday and still wear the splint for work so I remember not to kneel on that side. When the doc I was referred to first saw the MRI he thought I was there for joint replacement. I know My knees, shoulders, wrists and back are all in bad shape and I haven't the money nor time to play with any of it. I have a script for pain killers I'll use only when I can't sleep but stick w/ advil so I can move in the daylight. When I explained to the doc my situation he gave me another prescription for oxy. I haven't used any for the knee, a dozen staples I can deal with. Joint pain a coupe times a season will cause me to wake up, (screaming more than once) this, I need the dope for.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Rinny » October 1st 2017, 1:24pm

Sounds like she is coming along just fine!! I have been away fer a while, just outrite swamped with all the projects. Sorry to hear bout the knee. Keep on keeping on, my man. How is the house?
03Astro AWD/4WD
5.7L+30,SS dual exhst,mild cam,Efan,CAintake
2100lb Springs,Jour Hangers/Shackles,3" Alum Blocks
TorsenDiffs,3:73'S,VettServo
NP236TC
Dual Piston Rear Calipers
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): 5.7L, NP236, 3"Lift
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.7L NP236

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » October 1st 2017, 1:41pm

Rinny wrote: How is the house?

The honey do list grows and grows,,, :lol:

:shhh:
don't tell the wife but if my hair ain't wet when it rains I'm good w/ the house as is but I do need a bigger garage.

:shhh: :shhh:
top secret!!!
I'm thinking barn or at least an addition to the garage. Take it out as close to the road as the zoning board will let me and few feet wider toward the center of the property is at the top of my honey do list.
That and tell the wife... :o
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Leeann_93 » October 1st 2017, 2:53pm

WoodButcher wrote:That and tell the wife... :o

Good luck with that :lol:
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » October 2nd 2017, 1:15am

Yeah, she already knows...
Couple more pics, the ceiling and cabinets are in but I didn't get to the lower support of the upper cabinets yet. I'm running a horizontal rib on the inside that will screw into the purlins running between the pillars. I have both cut and sanded but I need to bend the short one behind the slider. It may take a day or two to bend and keep shape as all the framework of these shelves are made from Ipe so it doesn't bend easy.

I'll start working with it after those supports are in and figure a plan for shelving behind the driver's seat as I go. I had a couple drawers and the microwave in that area but the drawers were a pain to open if I had cargo. I'm thinking open shelves and enough space behind the seat so I can recline or hang winter layers. I'm going to try the nuker moved over to the shelf by the slider facing forward. I use it on average twice a day so it may as well be easy access.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby MI_Ghost » October 2nd 2017, 1:43am

WoodButcher wrote: I'm going to try the nuker moved over to the shelf by the slider facing forward. I use it on average twice a day so it may as well be easy access.

OK WB you got to give up the details.
I'm looking for a microwave to use in the semi while on the road.
What setup are you running?
12v or inverter?
What microwave?
How well does it work?
~Ghost
MI_Ghost
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 4 full years

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » October 2nd 2017, 2:13am

None of the above.

Lol.
I run a cord from the house I'm working at. Most of the time my van is within 50' of where my saws and work table is setup but if it's too far I'll move the nuker to the house.

Company truck or is it yours? For a small microwave I think you can get an inverter that will handle it. If it is a company truck you could hack the end off a set of jumper cables but connecting that every time would get old fast.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby MI_Ghost » October 2nd 2017, 2:27am

Company truck with a 10A oulet.
I was think something small like a 600-750 watt microwave.
I know I would be looking at a 1K inverter at a minimum. So I may have to have the shop hard wire a connection for me.
~Ghost
MI_Ghost

Postby Big_kid » October 2nd 2017, 3:46am

Bulkheads... I had to clean out my buddy's van after he was in a wreck. EVERYTHING that was in the back was in a tightly packed pile, 4 feet thick, right up against that bulkhead. I'm sure that pile of stuff would have killed him if it had reached him. Cans of air were flatter than if they'd been run over repeatedly. Before the wreck you can bet the rent that everything was in it's place on the shelf, in a bin, probably behind a bungee cord too.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » October 3rd 2017, 2:59am

I really like the Workmanlike look of your new Wench.
And good luck on the "Garage Thing".

Watching the news tonite, wife leans over and says - "we need to stock up on more ammo and..."

Mike
Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “AOC - her astonishing matryoshka-like ignorance, like the rest of The Squad is surpassed only by the relentless idiocy of the democrats, antifa & it’s attendant mass media, mayors & governors.”

sixsixsixsix is online!
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » October 5th 2017, 12:23am

I'm with you Kid as to the safety value of the bulkheads if they are installed properly. The ones that came out of this '02 were not, in fact I could have had the entire shelf set but they are of no use to me. This van was involved in a rear end collision before I got it. Fortunately it was empty but for the shelves so there was no blood on the seat.

In that pic on the floor you can see nickels glued to the floor covering failed rivnuts. All the connections they had made originally were compromised in one way or another. The PO removed the shelves and door but I pulled the remaining bulkheads.
It's like the helmet laws for bikes, I chose not to wear one when I rode, if we spend all our time worrying about the "what ifs" you'll miss alot of good stuff that "is".

Thanks Mike. I've gotten comments from homeowners a time or two along those lines about the '97. Having an oddball collection of hardware bits and bobs I'm able to do punch lists and repair on jobs, I'm the company fireman. I'd love a new truck but as we all know the last astro is more than 12 years old.

Today was her first day at work. She needs rear springs and shocks all round. I like the soft ride so I'm thinking the HD springs and add a sway bar rather than the franken pack on the '97. I also need to fix the heat ASAP. I think the water control valve may be fubared, pretty sure I got her burped but I'll give it a couple days driving before I open it up. It could be leaking though I haven't seen it. Oil is dirty but it's oil, I have a Qt. of Marvel in it now, if I have time it will be changed this weekend.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby The Drummer » October 5th 2017, 12:28am

Keep up the good work w.b. ,these vans just wont die :) .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 8 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 8 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 8 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 8 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 8 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 8 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 8 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby MI_Ghost » October 5th 2017, 1:30am

The Drummer wrote:these vans just wont die :) .

Thats why they quit making them!
~Ghost
MI_Ghost

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » October 6th 2017, 3:54am

Second day, rad leaks. :banghead:

Got another in the '97...
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Leeann_93 » October 6th 2017, 3:56am

Isn’t it nice having a pick-n-pull in your driveway?

Sorry about the leak :(
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » October 9th 2017, 1:46pm

I'll be sending the parts van to the boneyard as soon as I can but it will be gutted like a fish.
I swapped the radiator and was careful with the oil and trans connections. I can see how they would fail easy. I cleaned the grooves on the oil fittings and also the back edge of the bubble or flare on the trans fittings with a hacksaw blade and file, used the best of the two sets of clips and crossed my fingers. I did not replace the "o" rings or the hoses and belt while I was there but I have no leaking so far.

I did find some bad vacuum line, I bought replacement hose and will get to that when I can.
Also found the blower switch to be bad, it has poor connection inside the rotary part of it but I now know the system works. I have another set of switches I can swap in. There is another issue in the dash that caused a good bit of confusion for the previous owner, a bad ground. The lights in the cluster, fuel gauge, temp gauge and blower switch must share the same ground.
The cluster lights and gauges only work if the blower is on meaning the blower switch is back feeding power to them.

I need to break down and buy the FSM...

And yeah, I laid in a puddle to change my oil yesterday morning. Your post about the rain made me chuckle when I saw it.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Leeann_93 » October 9th 2017, 10:44pm

WoodButcher wrote:And yeah, I laid in a puddle to change my oil yesterday morning. Your post about the rain made me chuckle when I saw it.

I just wasn't feeling working on it in the rain. I've worked on it so much...and my arm really does hurt in this weather, so screw it - she can wait ;)
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext