White Wench '02

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: White Wench '02

Postby Leeann_93 » February 14th 2018, 3:27am

Whoopsie - didn’t read up, just had the injector discussion in my head.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • new to the forum 02' awd safari
    by Shtone86 » February 27th 2020, 6:46am in Projects/Builds
    37 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    March 14th 2020, 7:13pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 5th 2020, 11:23pm

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » February 14th 2018, 3:32am

Yep, got the techron. 32 oz. in 20 gallons or so. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » February 17th 2018, 8:06pm

Ordered the spider and gasket kit for the plenum and tbi, "O" rings for the fuel lines. Am I missing anything?
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Leeann_93 » February 17th 2018, 9:42pm

Coil if you haven’t done it. Otherwise, nope.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » February 17th 2018, 11:45pm

haven't done it but I do happen to have a brandy new AC Delco in a box in the garage :D

:text-thankyouyellow:
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Leeann_93 » February 18th 2018, 1:47am

Perfect ;)
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » February 18th 2018, 3:41am

One of the goodies I bought back in Sept with the tune up parts not knowing for sure what I would need once I got into it I covered all the bases I could think of.
The weird wiring issues I have with the blower control, fuel gauge, temperature gauge, and lights seem to be leading me to the bulkhead connector. Is that behind the battery? have you any pics?

I found your spider replacement,
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15422&start=240#p1185618

thanks again Leeann!
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Leeann_93 » February 18th 2018, 4:21am

You’re welcome. Sorry there weren’t more pics.

Hmmmm...actually, I’ve never even touched mine. But I had the battery and bracket out of the ‘00 for bracket painting, so I might have a pic there...

'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » February 18th 2018, 4:00pm

Did you unbolt the computer and push it to the side? If I unplug, inspect and clean will I need to do that relearn dance? I shouldn't think so as nothing is being changed.
W/o the battery in place I might have enough space to get at those harnesses, Techline to the rescue!

Can't say thanks enough,,, :thumbup:
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Leeann_93 » February 18th 2018, 4:46pm

When I did that, I unplugged and unbolted the computer and removed it. Gave me more room.

But the battery had long been disconnected and has not been reconnected (damn injuries keep messing up my plans) so I don't know if I have to do any relearn stuff yet. I have the Tech 2, though.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » February 28th 2018, 3:06am

Well alright then,,

Work has been slow this past week so I got after the fuel injection. Thursday til Sunday was wet so Friday I put up tarp / shelter off my roof rack to the garage door and jumped in. Spent Sat morning just getting the garage sorted but between Sat and Sun I'd estimate 9 10 hours and it was done.
The only real hiccup was getting the old spider out one of the injector tubes popped off and stayed in the lower intake manifold. I bent a pick into a hook and she popped right out.

I swapped out the coil while it was on the bench, I couldn't do Leeann's pizza box trick as I'm not fond of pizza but I did get some white cardboard for my nuts bolts and notes. I use masking tape on hoses and plugs not always to label what goes where, but to flag them so they don't get missed on reassembly.

She run good on the test drive Sunday which reminded me it was time to square away the brakes. The previous owner replaced the calipers and pads in front but left the beat rotors. I installed new rotors, pads, inner and outer bearings. Click the thumbnail then enlarge it to full size to look at those rotors. The pads were new when I got the van in October but look like years old after 4 months on those rotors.

Seeing as I had the front up and the grease out she got lubed and then I put on a new old set of Monroe Sensatracs I had from the '97. Also while under the rear topped up the differential, now I know I can get the plug open I'll get a new cover and gasket on fleabay so I can change out the fluid
The test drive after this had good news and bad. The good being that the wench stopped on command w/ no shake or shimmy, no pulse and no pull. The rear shocks helped the ride and the grease helped the wandering. That last being the bad news, when grease helps the steering,
parts are worn...
My next repair is awaiting.

Free parts!
free to a good home, you pay shipping and handling as I won't be handling these again!
:lol:

seldom have I seen shocks this bad, I'm not sure for what but I'm holding onto the rotors and bearings. A project? jeez, I need a bigger junk drawer.
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby 1lowcab » February 28th 2018, 3:12am

seldom have I seen shocks this bad,

WOW, those shocks were gone!

I'm not fond of pizza

WHAT!!!!!! :shock:

I could live on pizza.
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » February 28th 2018, 3:29am

Pizza and beer!!!

I use old rotors as jack and jackstand support in my yard and driveway. They work really well for spreading out weight on sand.

Those shocks are toast. Past toast. Long past toast. Sheesh.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » February 28th 2018, 4:10pm

WoodButcher wrote:...seldom have I seen shocks this bad...

We took these off my son in law's truck. If I ever get my van right, getting his ranger running again is on the list too.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby 1lowcab » February 28th 2018, 5:32pm

Big_kid wrote:
WoodButcher wrote:...seldom have I seen shocks this bad...

We took these off my son in law's truck. If I ever get my van right, getting his ranger running again is on the list too.

OMG! :eek:
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » February 28th 2018, 10:44pm

Mmmmm :shock:
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher [OP] » March 1st 2018, 12:37am

Lol, that's just wrong.
When I got the jeep the frame mounts for the rears were rusted off, and the frame was bad, major repair. Those on my '97 are toast but the van is so badly rusted elsewhere it isn't worth repair. My '02 those shocks were bad long before the guy wrecked the front and it's not in bad shape.
It looks like the shock came off that ranger was broke awhile before it was fixed as well but if your planning repair it must be a worthy candidate.
Why do people keep driving w/o doing the repairs?
Original Poster [OP]
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby 90safari » March 1st 2018, 1:15am

WoodButcher wrote:Why do people keep driving w/o doing the repairs?

Because they know it needs repair, and it needs money thrown at it. But at the same time they need the vehicle.
But, if it's not being used, it's for sale, which means the next guy/gal can deal with it. At least that's what I've found over the years.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby Big_kid » March 1st 2018, 1:24am

Because my SIL is a good guy, but not a car guy.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby 90safari » March 1st 2018, 1:29am

Just went thru this entire thread, and have to say you've done a nice job on fixing it.
Your white cargo van reminds me of my uncle's white cargo van (his is a 2000 though, complete with dog dish hub caps), in that he uses his for work (oil burner service) and it has no windows other than the front 3. He's in Norwalk CT though. So if your in the general area you might see it. 8-)
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

PreviousNext