Bad Ast Project

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Bad Ast Project

Postby astroracer [OP] » July 7th 2019, 12:53am

In case anyone was wondering... I did see that, in my rush to get the rear rubber bolted up, I totally missed the directional thing and bolted them on the wrong sides. I fixed that as soon as I saw it! :)

1994 Astro with an LT1 350 (Ron Burgundy)
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1995 GMC Sierra (the show truck)
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1988 Astro (the BadAst Project
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): astroracer
Van Model Year: 1988
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Major renovation

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Project VANDAMN!!!
    by VANDAYUM » January 15th 2021, 6:30pm in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by dcsleeper View the latest post
    January 15th 2021, 7:40pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 9th 2021, 11:27am

Postby astroracer [OP] » November 20th 2019, 2:11pm

I thought I had posted something about this...
Anyway, the build came to a screeching halt after I got the front wheels bolted on. After I spun them one time I remembered a bit of a problem. These wheels have "hidden" valve stems, which means the stems are behind the spokes. When you spin the wheel the valve stem is HARD into the brake caliper... Show stopper.
Anyway, to make a long story short I had the "old" Michelins dismounted so I could work with the bare wheels trying to figure out a valve stem that would work. That turned out to be a no go so my only option was to weld up the old valve stem holes and drill new ones...
All of this trial and error and ordering different valves stems and finally coming up with a solution took a bout a month... At which point in time I was driving the '56 to a show in Flint and got hit by a deer...
That has had me busy rebuilding rusty fenders, inner cowls, drain channels and will see me doing the floors and rockers as well.
Which brings me to the point of this post, getting the Astro rims welded up, drilled and the "old" tires remounted. You've seen the "old" thing a couple times now. Being the tires are BRAND NEW, never seen the road or light of day but they are "out of date" so Discount or Belle will not re-mount them... I taking them to a shop in Flint tonight to have them mounted and balanced. All of this so I can roll the BadAst frame out of the heated side and get the wagon in there to finish the rust repairs... Have I been having fun? Yes Sir, you bet'cha!
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full years

Postby astroracer [OP] » November 20th 2019, 2:12pm

Here are a few pics for your enjoyment.
Old hole location, front of wheel is to the left...
Old hole location welded up and smoothed a bit.
New stem location outboard of the spokes (and out of the way of the caliper...)
The old stem hole was back and to the left, behind the spoke. I will do some polishing on these to bring the shine back.
These are the stems I am using. They push in from the inside. This keeps the profile low so the tire can slip past it easier.
I have found the only way to get these things to seal up AND keep a seal is to coat all of the mating surfaces with Permatex Non-Harding Gasket Maker.
I clean all of the surfaces with degreaser and then use a small paint brush to apply the Permatex.
On the outside I coat the stem with Permatex and then slide two O-Rings over it to help seal up the hole.
The chrome washer goes on next and it compresses the O-Rings enough to plug the hole and seal the threads on the stem. The Permatex really helps get the threads sealed up.
This is the washer just starting to compress the O-Rings.
Here the nut is tightened up and everything is pretty well compressed.
The inside gasket compressed.
The last thing I do is paint the Permatex around the gasket on the inside.
If these things leak I will be very disappointed... :( We will find out today!
Mark
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby sixsix » November 20th 2019, 10:23pm

Amazing... Valve Stem... mesmerizing.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby astroracer [OP] » November 21st 2019, 2:44am

sixsix wrote:Amazing... Valve Stem... mesmerizing.
Mike

Never thought you would be captivated by tire valves eh? :)
Well, they are holding air! Got them remounted tonight and bolted back on.
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby xit » November 21st 2019, 1:28pm

Looks amazing as usual, incredible workmanship involved. Keep us informed when possible. :rockon: :rockon:
Possibly Natures most perfect food, good beef jerky and cold beer......
xit
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: xit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 66
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: Conversion

Postby astroracer [OP] » November 24th 2019, 1:05am

Did a lot of cleaning and vehicle shuffling today. The wagon and Astro chassis have swapped places so I can get to work finishing the cowl tomorrow.
These pics are off my phone, sorry for their largosity...

2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby sixsix » December 4th 2020, 2:05am

Any updates to this Awesome Build ?
Maybe shoulda' asked about your life, too.

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby astroracer [OP] » December 4th 2020, 5:43am

No updates... Haven't touched the van since the wagon got wrecked.
The wagon is progressing slowly, I have rebuilt both inner and outer cowls, both sides inner and outer rockers and both floor pans. I had ELEVEN layers of paint glass beaded off the car and am now fixing all of the rust that was revealed in the hood, both doors, roof, rear fenders and tail pan.
Didn't get a lot done this summer but I'll hit it hard this winter and hope to have it painted early next year.
Thanks for asking, I am a bit discouraged about the van but there is nothing I can do until the wagon is back together.
Mark
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
Original Poster [OP]
astroracer

Postby 90safari » December 4th 2020, 9:02pm

astroracer wrote:No updates... Haven't touched the van since the wagon got wrecked.
The wagon is progressing slowly, I have rebuilt both inner and outer cowls, both sides inner and outer rockers and both floor pans. I had ELEVEN layers of paint glass beaded off the car and am now fixing all of the rust that was revealed in the hood, both doors, roof, rear fenders and tail pan.
Didn't get a lot done this summer but I'll hit it hard this winter and hope to have it painted early next year.
Thanks for asking, I am a bit discouraged about the van but there is nothing I can do until the wagon is back together.
Mark

I don't know, but it sounded like you made progress to me. Granted the hot and humid summer probably slowed your progress some. ;) I know I didn't get anywhere near that much done this year. :oops:
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Previous