Olive

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Olive

Postby jmderyke [OP] » December 25th 2017, 1:04am

Hi everyone!
Last week I picked up my first astro van. Already named olive, she's a 2000 awd with 89k on her, purchased for $675 bucks! (With that price there are some issues...sheared ps pump shaft, interior, trouble code p0171 and just lack of maintenance to fix all over.)
Been spending last couple days fixing it. And discovered more to fix in the process.

I've had my eyes on a awd astro for a while and very happy with my purchase. The only downside is the lack of room and some of Chevrolet engineering when working on it.
I plan on lifting it (5"-7").....and re-converting it into a camper.

I've looked around here and am looking forward to everyone's knowledge and sharing my progress with the van with you guys and admiring everyone elses vans.
Attachments
20171224_122005.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
jmderyke
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: jmderyke has been a member for 3 full yearsjmderyke has been a member for 3 full yearsjmderyke has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): jd
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4x4 lifted

Re: Olive

Postby 1lowcab » December 25th 2017, 4:47am

Welcome to the forums! Looks good on the outside, can't go wrong for $675.
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby zzimmer3 » December 25th 2017, 5:45am

That's a steal, for that amount of miles!
1994 2wd, 1998 2wd, 2000 awd, 2001 awd
zzimmer3
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: zzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): teddybear
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » December 25th 2017, 5:06pm

Nice van I really like them wheels if you lift it and require new wheels I may be interested in them depending on where you are. Welcome to the forum! markmitch
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby WimpTech » December 25th 2017, 5:17pm

Holy Crap what a deal! Welcome to the forum!
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby WinnieVan » December 25th 2017, 6:33pm

AWESOME deal. Welcome to the forum... can't wait to see what you pull off!
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby jmderyke [OP] » December 25th 2017, 11:58pm

Thanks everyone! And Markmitch, yes I was thinking of replacing the wheels, they look good for smaller tires, but putting the 30" tires on idk.
Anyone know the best tire size option with lift that looks good but doesn't compromise too much torque? I'm thinking 30"?
Original Poster [OP]
jmderyke
Years of Membership: jmderyke has been a member for 3 full yearsjmderyke has been a member for 3 full yearsjmderyke has been a member for 3 full years

Postby jmderyke [OP] » December 26th 2017, 12:10am

Think I found the reason for the p0171 code lean on bank 1. Notice the valve cover gasket pulled out by a rodent I believe, only since there's signs of rodents on top of the engine.
Attachments
20171225_150027.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
jmderyke

Postby jmderyke [OP] » December 29th 2017, 2:39am

Valve covers changed today, next up tune up kit from accel. Next week electric fan conversion.
Attachments
20171228_135552.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
jmderyke

Postby jmderyke [OP] » January 29th 2018, 7:05pm

Now that I replaced the poppet valve fuel injection to mpi and some other running issues got the astro to pass California's smog, now it's time to start the upgrades!

The Geneva conversion was probably nice at one time, but the electrical wasn't all functional/ outdated and carpet along with everything else was fairly nasty so decided to gut it!
20180129_094146.jpg

Thinking about the floor first probably insulate it a lightweight keyboard. I'm going to stew in it for a bit.

Just picked up this little guy 233C and the JOR kit is on its way.
20180129_094504.jpg

The kit was a little pricey, and usually I'd fabricate something myself but after a couple phone calls they where so helpful I had to get it. Besides, my work wouldn't look as good anyway.
Original Poster [OP]
jmderyke

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » January 29th 2018, 7:19pm

Wow very cool project keep the pics and the story going please. I am watching! markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years

Postby TurnNburn » January 29th 2018, 7:21pm

Welcome to the forum! That is a heck of a deal! A high top even

Your leaking valve cover is not the source of your CEL. Hopefully the tune up will address that concern though

You will like that t case mod, I don't use 4LO as much as I thought I would, but its nice to know that I have it in sticky situations
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby jmderyke [OP] » January 30th 2018, 3:31am

The t-case swap is a must in my neck of the woods (steep terrain, snow etc) and my plans to do with the van.
Not a lot done today but the level floor is far nicer than before.
20180129_172405.jpg

Trying to decide if I want to keep the rear fan that circulates heat and ac. It's nice to have, but it might be problematic down the road. Space is important also...... other than that might go look a t upholstery options.
Original Poster [OP]
jmderyke

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » January 30th 2018, 3:56am

how far are you from Stockton? If you remove the rear heat/ac I may be interested in it. markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby jmderyke [OP] » January 30th 2018, 4:45am

About 4hrs north of you mark, is yours busted?
Original Poster [OP]
jmderyke

Postby MI_Ghost » January 30th 2018, 4:53am

Any tags or markings on that rear heat/AC unit to identify what it is?
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby TurnNburn » January 30th 2018, 6:36pm

Yeah it definitely does not look stock

Mark, if you are looking for one, I have my old one upstairs. PM me if your interested.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years

Postby imtb » January 31st 2018, 3:23pm

Could you take couple of inside shots of the roof, I would like to see how much head room with the raised roof. thx
imtb
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: imtb has been a member for 5 full yearsimtb has been a member for 5 full yearsimtb has been a member for 5 full yearsimtb has been a member for 5 full yearsimtb has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): mike

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » January 31st 2018, 5:30pm

Yeah mine is missing a few items. But again I want first dibs on the wheels if you decide to sell them some day.
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby TurnNburn » January 31st 2018, 7:28pm

I deleted rear heat and rear ac from my van. Don't regret it at all. Like you said, they are big(ish) and the van is small so space is at a premium.
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Next

Return to Projects/Builds

It is currently February 28th 2021, 5:26am

Projects/Builds Forum
Projects/BuildsEach members' project build thread. Post details and photos, past and present, of your projects coming together. Restorations, modifications, or customizations of a vehicle and a sequential history of the progress. Build-up threads only!
To create a new topic in Projects/Builds, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
Bigforkg
in Projects/Builds
Views: 1132
Comments: 32
Date: Feb 24 '21
Time: 3:29pm
» Read last comment
Attached by: