Far Beyond Driven, the story of Vantera

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Far Beyond Driven, the story of Vantera

Postby sixsix » January 6th 2019, 4:00pm

ericstg wrote:And I got a Trasharoo! Craigslist, couldn't pass it up. Pretty cool. Camped on new years, threw my trash in it, works great.

Can we get a Full Receptacle Report ?

:banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads:

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby WinnieVan » January 6th 2019, 8:04pm

Nice update Eric! Love the SKB case!! That looks so good.

That’s exactly what happened with my passenger headlight with the little rubber boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby ericstg [OP] » January 13th 2019, 12:45am

sixsix wrote:Can we get a Full Receptacle Report ?

:banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads:

Mike

Of course Mike! Let me do a few more trips with it and I'll work up a complete FRR for you.

So this last week I discover that when my passenger side headlight goes out I can just wiggle the washer bottle and it comes back on. Problem solved!

Not really so I pulled everything out again. The plugs seem like a loose fit on the new Hella bulbs. Plugged the old headlights in, nice secure fit. Plugged the Hellas in again and wiggled the plug, headlight flickers. Compared the old to new.

IMG_4666.JPG

Bent the prongs in a little to match the old ones. That was it! Just a loose connection. Freaking things work great.

And a big thanks to AstroWill for sharing the washer fluid tubing part number. I searched all over for that stuff months ago and come up with nothing. Ending up using some random hose from the hardware store that did not hold up well. Also cleaned the squinter nozzles out with some wire.

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

One of Vantera's front sway bar end links is no longer with us. I'll take the blame for that, should have checked those bolts, I'm really good at not double checking bolts. Now I go to the laps to get a new one and the one I get is different then the one still on the van. Different in diameter and length of sleeve. It is also different then the 2003 AWD Astro front end links I purchased for use on my rear sway bar. Here is a run down of the different front end links I've come across.

old end links(the ones from my original broken front sway bar) 4 1/2" sleeve, M8 Bolt
links from my Dorman replacement, 4 1/2" sleeve, M8 bolt
front links purchased for use on rear sway bar, 4" sleeve, 3/8" bolt
link I purchased yesterday from Oreillys, 3 9/16" sleeve, 3/8 bolt

Why are there 3 sizes(that I'm aware of)for 03 AWD Astro Van end links? Doesn't really matter, I ordered Energy Suspension 9.8121G, should be here Monday. 4 1/2" sleeve, 3/8 bolt. Till then...

IMG_4668.JPG

Mix of bushings, washers, and a chunk of tubing. Should work fine for a few days.

One more thing. What does this plug go to?

IMG_4667.JPG

Kidding! It doesn't go to anything!
2003 AWD Astro Cargo, 3+1(plus a shackle) lift, LT245/75R16, it's badass!

Update 12/31/20: It's dead!

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=129113
Original Poster [OP]
ericstg
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: ericstg has been a member for 3 full yearsericstg has been a member for 3 full yearsericstg has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

Postby AstroWill » January 13th 2019, 12:55am

ericstg wrote:One more thing. What does this plug go to?

IMG_4667.JPG

Kidding! It doesn't go to anything!

:rofl:

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby 1lowcab » January 13th 2019, 1:05am

One more thing. What does this plug go to?

HAHA!!!!!!!
:rofl:
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby ericstg [OP] » February 2nd 2019, 2:23am

Been wanting to do a proper ladder for awhile now. Here it is! Plus a fun little mount for some rotopax.

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

I got https://www.instagram.com/adventurefab/?hl=en to tackle this project for me. Love the way it turned out. I have one more big thing planned in the near future so stay tuned.

Original Poster [OP]
ericstg
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: ericstg has been a member for 3 full yearsericstg has been a member for 3 full yearsericstg has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » February 2nd 2019, 3:29am

Very Nice Work, The Back Window "Whatever" mount is Mighty cool.

And Never seen here before ( I don't get out much - a Hermit now for 300 weeks... ).
Cool - you keeping the "True AstroSafari Custom Idea".
while
Keepin' 'em guessing with the mixed pitch treads / reachin' with the tippy - top of my toes.
And while I don't know what a Rotopax is - The Word is the Best of the Day here on Friday. ( cue the balloons, Stu... )

Cool Stuff there, Eric. Gosh, I'm almost getting tired of all this success...

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby albrow100 » February 2nd 2019, 5:28am

ericstg wrote:Been wanting to do a proper ladder for awhile now. Here it is! Plus a fun little mount for some rotopax.

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

I got https://www.instagram.com/adventurefab/?hl=en to tackle this project for me. Love the way it turned out. I have one more big thing planned in the near future so stay tuned.

nice job on the ladder! and the project overall! after making one this Monday,I think I like yours better!
I put mine behind the wheel well

side note one day we should have a Portland Or van meet up. I keep noticing there are more and more cool vans on here from Portland
albrow100
Years of Membership: albrow100 has been a member for 4 full yearsalbrow100 has been a member for 4 full yearsalbrow100 has been a member for 4 full yearsalbrow100 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: awd

Postby sixsix » February 2nd 2019, 5:10pm

And, boy.. best never forget that bad boy is hangin out there.

How many of us have tested our Mirror's capacity for doing "The Flopswing"? ( an actual Norwegian term-if said w/ "captive tongue" ).

Not so those little ******* on the Altima - don't ask me how many my wife has asked me replace?

Mike

sixsix

Postby ericstg [OP] » February 3rd 2019, 4:19am

albrow100 wrote:
nice job on the ladder! and the project overall! after making one this Monday,I think I like yours better!
I put mine behind the wheel well

side note one day we should have a Portland Or van meet up. I keep noticing there are more and more cool vans on here from Portland

Thanks! I think you have a better roof rack set up.

We should do a meet up here in Portland. There's a few of us on here right?

Original Poster [OP]
ericstg
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Alias (AKA):

Postby GreatWhite » February 3rd 2019, 7:17am

:think: Interesting.

So, you have a ladder on each side now and a platform on the roof.

Just a thought, perhaps some Burning Van Laddermania Smackdown?

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg (15.82 KiB) Viewed 924 times

The vans lookin' good, bud. Curious as to what's up your sleeve next.
'04 GMC Safari SLT AWD
'07 Honda Element AWD
'97 Nissan Hardbody 4x4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAAXrlt43s
GreatWhite
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: GreatWhite has been a member for 4 full yearsGreatWhite has been a member for 4 full yearsGreatWhite has been a member for 4 full yearsGreatWhite has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD SLT 3+1 Lift

Postby markmitch » February 3rd 2019, 6:08pm

ok so the mount on the top of the rear door is for? Water? is that strong enough to hold 41.7 lbs of water while moving ? I would worry about that much weight around a window but that's just me. 1st gen
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby ericstg [OP] » February 4th 2019, 3:54am

markmitch wrote:ok so the mount on the top of the rear door is for? Water? is that strong enough to hold 41.7 lbs of water while moving ? I would worry about that much weight around a window but that's just me. 1st gen

It's pretty darn sturdy. Don't think its going to be an issue.

Original Poster [OP]
ericstg
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Alias (AKA):

Postby ericstg [OP] » March 5th 2019, 4:59am

Basement is in! Big thanks to Nick at Adventurefab in Vancouver Washington for tackling this project. Turned out awesome!

I could go on about the how and why but you guys don't care about that. You care about pics.

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4794.JPG

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG

Original Poster [OP]
ericstg
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Alias (AKA):

Postby markmitch » March 5th 2019, 5:40am

wow that's very cool. I like that box in the floor idea.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years

Postby icebrrg3rd » March 5th 2019, 7:15pm

ericstg wrote:...I could go on about the how and why but you guys don't care about that. You care about pics...

HEY! We cares!
(scrolling past text looking for pics...)

I like the basement, I'm thinking about adding one to my van. Not that I am camping in mine, I just want one to store stuff out of the way.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby 97cargocrawler » March 5th 2019, 7:48pm

You seriously missed this photo op?

:happy-smileyinthebox:
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby WinnieVan » March 5th 2019, 8:43pm

:lol:
WinnieVan
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA):

Postby markmitch » March 5th 2019, 11:45pm

Now thats a whole new idea on the flintstone mobile . :rofl:
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Jester » March 6th 2019, 12:51am

97cargocrawler wrote:You seriously missed this photo op?

:happy-smileyinthebox:

I made sure to pose when I did my well :thumbup:

@ericstg I really like the flush door on yours. Looks good!

IMG_20181105_143636.jpg
Jester
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Jester has been a member for 3 full yearsJester has been a member for 3 full yearsJester has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): John
Van Model Year: 2005

PreviousNext