Sangria - 2005 Safari camper conversion

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Sangria - 2005 Safari camper conversion

Postby Leeann_93 » April 25th 2018, 10:29pm

That looks awesome. And the white roof should help keep you a lot cooler - that was the one thing I didn't like about my red van in summer.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2002 Astro AWD 4inch Lift Camper Conversion
    by Minist3r » November 28th 2020, 6:10pm in Projects/Builds
    1 Replies
    Last post by SportsBoy View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 4:08am
  • Pop top for GMC Safari 2005
    by Olivier02 » February 14th 2021, 4:42am in Projects/Builds
    11 Replies
    Last post by MI_Ghost View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 2:56pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 9th 2021, 11:13am

Postby srdragonusa » April 26th 2018, 3:31am

Nice job on the Awning!
[email protected] AKA SR Dragon
2003 AWD Astro
1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 *SOLD* :-(
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X (wife's)
1985 MCI 102 A3
srdragonusa
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: srdragonusa has been a member for 4 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 4 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 4 full yearssrdragonusa has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Paul
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD

Postby 90safari » April 26th 2018, 4:47am

Looks like a nice well thought out set up. I like that you tried to recycle the wood pallets into something. Yes, the pallet wood is different, in that it's oak. But what I really like is the T&G wall section. That's a different approach that I haven't seen yet used by anyone on here (at least I haven't seen anybody use it before). That works so well in there and kind of looks like it belongs there.I do have to ask if you laid down anything prior to adding the plywood floor? Not sure how well that pergo will last, as it swells when wet. I was also trying to figure out the awning set up, while watching you cut the 3" pipe in half. I see you decided to "clam shell" it, and use the inside for storage, versus just rolling the awning material up and sliding it inside.Also, I noticed you set up the rear lighting to have all 4 come on, versus just 1 or 2 lights.Any particular reason for going that route? I would think being able to just have 1 light on at a given time might be easier on the eyes late at night. ;)
Nice Job. 8-) keep up the updates.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby jimi_lee [OP] » May 4th 2018, 11:34pm

90safari wrote:Looks like a nice well thought out set up. I like that you tried to recycle the wood pallets into something.

Hey, Thanks for looking at the build and thanks for the comments. I did spend a lot (too) much time planning the layout, etc. But I was trained as a mechanical engineer, so I guess it is a bit of my thing. I just hope that posting some photos and instructions can help someone else plan their build, even if my contribution is a "what-not-to-do" thing.

90safari wrote:Yes, the pallet wood is different, in that it's oak.

When I said the wood was different, I meant that of the (now) 7 pallets I have butchered, there have been atleast 2 different types of wood they were made from. The denser wood is definitely oak. It was nearly impossible to put the tacks through while installing the T&G and would split without pre-drilling holes. Other pallets were made from a much softer and lighter wood, which I suspect is pine. The head of wood screw could sink right through the 2x4 pieces.

90safari wrote:I do have to ask if you laid down anything prior to adding the plywood floor? Not sure how well that pergo will last, as it swells when wet.

I laid 3/8" plywood down. Its good stuff. But no, I didn't install any waterproofing materials below or above and this may come back to bite me.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of experience with Pergo flooring. I live in the desert and take the van on overnight skiing, mountain biking, and camping trips. I keep towels inside and have waterproof rugs for the skis and bikes. The big problem I see is that it gets dusty and sandy inside, which is not a cleaning problem, but when things slide on top of the pergo + sand I expect the finish will dull. There was a picture of a dog on the packaging so it gots to be tough right :? .

90safari wrote:I was also trying to figure out the awning set up, while watching you cut the 3" pipe in half. I see you decided to "clam shell" it, and use the inside for storage, versus just rolling the awning material up and sliding it inside.

Yep. True. Everything fits in a 3" pvc pipe, barely. It seems sturdy enough to support the weight when unfolded and when there is tension on the awning.

I chose this more complicated way due to aesthetics. My roof racks are not factory and end where the front of the awning begins and I didn't want the PVC to stick out that far (4 feet) past the wind fairing. Also, b/c this 4 feet would not be supported while driving, I worried about it vibrating and bouncing.

90safari wrote:Also, I noticed you set up the rear lighting to have all 4 come on, versus just 1 or 2 lights. Any particular reason for going that route? I would think being able to just have 1 light on at a given time might be easier on the eyes late at night. ;)

Again, because of feel and aesthetics. The interior lights are bright, about as bright as sitting in my living room with the lights on. It would definitely be easier, and require less wiring, to have 2-3 switches controlling individual lights. But I wanted a living room type feel to the inside, where I didn't have to reach to 2-3 different spots in the van to turn off the lights for the night and I could turn them on from different entrances.

90safari wrote:Nice Job. 8-) keep up the updates.
[/quote]

Again, Thanks so much for checking out the build.
Original Poster [OP]
jimi_lee
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jimi_lee has been a member for 3 full yearsjimi_lee has been a member for 3 full yearsjimi_lee has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Awd

Postby WinnieVan » May 4th 2018, 11:42pm

Nice awning. I love it. I've been dreaming up a way to add some taughtness to my awning. Probably will end doing something like you.
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004

Postby jimi_lee [OP] » May 5th 2018, 12:53am

WinnieVan wrote:Nice awning. I love it. I've been dreaming up a way to add some taughtness to my awning. Probably will end doing something like you.

I am about 75% happy with it. The 1/2" pvc pipe doesn't support itself, so even with the loop I sewed into the tarp the bow of the pvc dips groundward. Not enough to make me change the design yet, but it is in the back of my head to replace them with some 1/2" conduit which I already have. We will see how big of a problem it is in practice.

In Mech.E. we have a saying, "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
Original Poster [OP]
jimi_lee
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jimi_lee has been a member for 3 full yearsjimi_lee has been a member for 3 full yearsjimi_lee has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio » May 5th 2018, 2:08am

That's some really nice work, and a lot of creative thought.... Nice job, I'm liking it....

Thanks for the wiring diagram for the 3-way 12v switches, I had always wondered how to do that.....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004

Postby jimi_lee [OP] » June 4th 2018, 6:41pm

Small update and a question.

Added a backboard for the mantel which sits above the side wall next to the window. I call it my "don't-knock-the-phone-out-the-window" addition.

Now the question:
I am about to hit 120,000 miles. What is the GM scheduled maintenance at this mileage? In the name of preventative maintenance, anything else I should be looking at?
Original Poster [OP]
jimi_lee
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby astrosafari2000 » June 5th 2018, 3:25pm

Hey, great looking build. I have those same led ceiling lights that you have and they are great. I'm not sure how bright they are for you but on full blast for me they are brighter than necessary most of the time.

Instead of 3 spots to turn them on, I used this dimmer switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C4UBMY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Its great because I don't always need those lights on full brightness, and i noticed it uses even less power when i turn them on at a lower setting. Just an FYI
astrosafari2000
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: astrosafari2000 has been a member for 4 full yearsastrosafari2000 has been a member for 4 full yearsastrosafari2000 has been a member for 4 full yearsastrosafari2000 has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA): skettikat
Extra Info: SLE AWD

Postby 90safari » June 5th 2018, 6:01pm

jimi_lee wrote:Small update and a question.

Now the question:
I am about to hit 120,000 miles. What is the GM scheduled maintenance at this mileage? In the name of preventative maintenance, anything else I should be looking at?

Did you get an owners manual with the van? If so, the required maintenance schedule is included toward the back of the book.
You could also try the information forum for a manual as well. Everything I have here is too early for your van.
You might try contacting Leeann and see if she'll help you out, since she has a 2005 Astro.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby jimi_lee [OP] » July 19th 2018, 8:13pm

Double DIN + Backup Camera Install
Long time, no post. Sangria has been out enjoying the wilderness and I have lacked motivation to take on more projects. Planning a 3500 mile road trip solved the later problem.

During my previous road trips, I kept a small bluetooth speaker so that I could listen to podcasts. This project brought the rig into the early 2010's.

Parts/Components
  • Sony XAV-AX100 - $268 (Ebay w/ 15% off coupon)
  • Pyle universal mount back up camera (link)
  • - comes with 6m RCA video cable
  • GMC radio antenna converter (link)
  • 3ft RCA video cable extension (link)
  • 2x Galvanized 3"x5" tie (link
  • 16g wire
  • 16g spade crimps

Details
  • Wiring the head unit: Honestly, the only hard part is finding the reverse signal so that the head unit knows when to switch video to the backup camera. It is a light green wire tucked in a massive bundle of cables leaving the fuse box located in the drivers foot well.
    In this photo, I have cut the wire and added spade crimps so i could easily insert a pigtail.
  • Mounting the head unit: I unscrewed the bottom plate from the stock unit. This is a nice tray which provides the snap-in part.

The Sony head unit is about 2" narrower than the stock radio. I used the 3"x5" ties, bent in an L-shape and with mounting holes drilled, to mount the head unit to the stock tray.
    Vertically, the 4" tall head unit just barely squeezes below the heating/AC controls. About 1/2" of room needs to be cleared out of the dash paneling.
    I created a bezel thing to cover the messiness which resulted from switching to a narrower/taller head unit. This was made from 1/16" thick plastic (cut from the top of a rubbermaid container) and plasti-dipped black.
    Here it is all installed.
  • Back up camera: Like everyone else, I mounted the camera in the unused space on the license plate holder that is meant for a key hole.

Wiring is simple; there are 3 leads coming from the camera, a +, a -, and the video. Pigtail the + into an accessory + wire like the thick orange wire in the tow-package bundle. Wiring the + to an accessory cable allows you to use the camera when you are not going in reverse. Pigtail the - to a ground. And yes, you will need ~23 feet of video cable to bring that back to the head unit.
    (no picture)
Original Poster [OP]
jimi_lee
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby lrbatch » November 4th 2018, 8:53am

jimi_lee wrote:92578

sorry if i missed this somewhere else but what roof rack system is this? mine didn't some w stock so i'm keeping an eye out for alternatives
lrbatch
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: lrbatch has been a member for 2 full yearslrbatch has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby tungtide » November 4th 2018, 3:59pm

Very inspirational, great ideas! fine work. slow is what I'm doing started on my 99 yesterday. Got some direction from your post. Must remember to keep my camera handy
Ken
tungtide
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby WimpTech » November 4th 2018, 4:34pm

I REALLY love your build write-ups, very well done!
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby rstro » June 16th 2020, 8:10pm

Awesome thread! Any updates?
rstro
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby jimi_lee [OP] » June 18th 2020, 1:10am

Wow, It's been a year-and-a-half since I last updated this thread. I didn't even realize I got praise from the master DIY guide writer either (Thanks Wimpie).

Last year I bought a house, so working on the van got pushed to the 2nd tier of priorities.

I guess I haven't shown the cooking table-thingie. So, I wanted a stow-away cooking table-thingie that I could set the Coleman 2-burner on to cook while either inside the van or outside. Since I commonly strap bags/boxes/Rubbermaids of gear against the sides of the interior, the common hinged table just wouldn't work (or would block the window).

My solution was to slide a wood slab into a slot, kind of like those pull-out cutting boards that were in my parents' kitchen. For the tabletop, I got a cheap table off of CL, removed its base, cut it up, and refinished it.

I built "slot" out of pieces of 2x4 which I screwed into the tailgate door.
IMG_20190506_200140.jpg
Supports for table

I took the opportunity to re-make the "panel" on the tailgate.
IMG_20190506_200157.jpg
Door panel

Here it is all installed.
IMG_20190506_211728.jpg
All buttoned up

There is some sort of fitting (which is similar to a keyhole fitting) mounted between those slots that allows the tabletop to hang flush with the door. No pictures of the tabletop I guess, but it is square with 2 tongues which slide into the 2 slots in the door.

Here it is in use:
IMG_20190719_201033.jpg
In use

Updates and future plans:
Canopy: Is anyone ever totally satisfied when their projects are "complete". I already replaced the clam-shell style pipe with an 8 ft 3" pvc pipe and screw-in pvc plug. The clam-shell got blown over in a mild wind. Also, the fabric (ripstop nylon) stretches when wet and built up a fantastic puddle above my head on one trip. I plan to remake the canopy with something like rubberized canvas.

Bed: The two cushions that form the bed when in bed-mode have a tendency to slide apart which leaves me falling into a hole during the night. Bought some velcro to make straps to fix that.

Interior: Remove passenger side panels and replace with shelving/storage.

Again, Thanks for all the kind comments.
Original Poster [OP]
jimi_lee
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby tonydobbs » June 18th 2020, 1:37am

How were you able to bolt the panels up to the back doors? Did you weld a nut to the metal?
tonydobbs
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tonydobbs has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Tony
Extra Info: RWD

Postby jimi_lee [OP] » June 18th 2020, 3:05am

tonydobbs wrote:How were you able to bolt the panels up to the back doors? Did you weld a nut to the metal?

Sheetmetal screws and countersunk washers, so that it would have that nice finished look. I hung the table top from it with interlocking flush-mount fittings like these (https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=302791&gshop&gclid=CjwKCAjw_qb3BRAVEiwAvwq6VjoBLLrf1opX48d33nSxYw9TggLYK44n-1jcpqlGh-vWJUvkHHYsaxoCSVYQAvD_BwE)
Original Poster [OP]
jimi_lee
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby tonydobbs » June 18th 2020, 3:12am

Thank you! I never thought of using sheetmetal screws!
tonydobbs
Years of Membership: tonydobbs has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Tony
Extra Info: RWD

Postby Freddy :) » June 18th 2020, 9:41pm

amazing write ups!

Your tarp is definitely something i would want to do on mine. your camping van is decked out!

have fun travels!

freddy :)
Freddy :)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Freddy :) has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Freddy :)
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: XT RWD

PreviousNext