The CamAstro or ASTROC not sure yet...build thread

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: The CamAstro or ASTROC not sure yet...build thread

Postby Hangar18 [OP] » May 29th 2018, 6:20am

Well thx all for both the compliments and advice...glad to have inspired some, but it's all the cool folks and their cool vans and the insane/brilliant ideas info and knowledge on here that inspired me. So many of you have paved the way and made it easy for the rest of us. So I thank you :ty:

On that note, all I did today was my temporary Flag mod..in Honor of Our Fallen who paid the highest price so that we have the Freedom to do all these crazy things.
My thanks to all of our service members and their families :bow:
Attachments
20180528_195026.jpg
Hangar 18...what goes in may NOT always be what comes out!
'99 Safari LS Ext(sold)
'04 Astro Cargo AWD 4.3 Vortec/4L60e
'09 F 150 FX4 LWB 5.4 Triton 3V
'14 Express 1500 AWD 5.3 Vortec
build viewtopic.php?f=127&t=132410
Original Poster [OP]
Hangar18
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Hangar18 has been a member for 2 full yearsHangar18 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Cargo 4.3L AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Alpine's 1995 AWD Safari Adventurevan Build Thread
    by AlpineVan » October 23rd 2020, 5:50pm in Projects/Builds
    14 Replies
    Last post by AlpineVan View the latest post
    January 13th 2021, 8:34pm
  • PNW Surf Camper Build
    by erikw9 » September 13th 2020, 3:29am in Projects/Builds
    9 Replies
    Last post by erikw9 View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 8:10pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 8th 2021, 9:59am

Postby multimoto » May 30th 2018, 4:27am

ok a few cans of red paint.. but now youre getting carried away with it. lol

what are the plans for the roof rack? and I think an old school ladder might look pretty good on there too ;-)
'87 GMC Safari Explorer
multimoto
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: multimoto has been a member for 2 full yearsmultimoto has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1987
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Explorer

Postby Hangar18 [OP] » May 30th 2018, 3:07pm

As far as the rack goes...I'm gonna modify the old ladder rack by flipping the cross bars sideways(using them for end pieces/lightbars), welding some light square tube together to make the body of the rack and then attaching it to the underside of my tabs. So that I can still clear my hangar doors. Still working that out in my head. I'm not sure if I want a ladder or not. Still debating rear door sparemount and maybe an old style gas can. I have one from my dad's old 4x4s from when I was a kid that's still in great shape.
'99 Safari LS Ext(sold)
Original Poster [OP]
Hangar18
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Hangar18 has been a member for 2 full yearsHangar18 has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby multimoto » May 30th 2018, 8:16pm

I figured you had a plan for the rack. have you seen the awning I made into the roof rack that slides out? look in my gallery fo it if not, its so good Im making another one like it for the motorhome.

roof racks are super useful and can be made into all kinds of stuff. the ladder just makes it more so, and easy access up top. since you have the cargo doors I would try to find one of the ones that were made for the astrofaris. mine came with one with the conversion package back in the day and its sturdy. not sure if all are equal though.

yours would look better in black if you decide to get one I think. these would look good on there too:

https://www.carid.com/2005-chevy-astro- ... 03692.html

pop out back windows are getting hard to find now too so if you want those, better keep a look out for some.

your van has transformed into a really cool one fast. just tossing some other ideas out that I like but everybody has different taste.
'87 GMC Safari Explorer
multimoto
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: multimoto has been a member for 2 full yearsmultimoto has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Hangar18 [OP] » May 31st 2018, 4:19am

Cool awning and I like the louvers but just not sure where I'm goin with it yet. I don't really plan on going too crazy especially with the interior..not really interested in the full blown camper thing. I've actually camped out of it a few times but I like the idea of being able to empty it.
'99 Safari LS Ext(sold)
Original Poster [OP]
Hangar18
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 90safari » May 31st 2018, 5:55pm

Hangar18 wrote:Cool awning and I like the louvers but just not sure where I'm goin with it yet. I don't really plan on going too crazy especially with the interior..not really interested in the full blown camper thing. I've actually camped out of it a few times but I like the idea of being able to empty it.

I too like the idea of being able to empty it, and actually use it as a van. 8-) I mean I've camped in my own, but I'm not going to do a full blown camper with it. That's what hotels are for. :lol: Or a tear drop camper. ;)
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby multimoto » May 31st 2018, 7:15pm

yeah, those louvers are straight out of the '70s man. if mine wasnt a conversion style van I would have them on there for sure but I dont think they match my van well. I do think they would look perfect on your cargo though.

my full blown campers are class A GMCs ;-)

I pack mine slam full when going to camp sites including stuff on the roof and the front cargo box attached to the receiver hitch up there but nothing is bolted down inside so I can use the full cargo space if ever needed.

even have a portable sink, tank and w.pump. that was a result of putting in the roof vent. I put it in the location on the roof that was made for it but I really didnt want to cut the roof. a roof vents a must for camping IMO so I had to but I used the piece I removed for a hinged counter top on my portable sink. and the color matches lol.

recent years Ive been doing alot of primitive camping way out/up in the mountains for sometimes two weeks at a time so Ive got the camp set up all worked out in it. a coup,e of year back I even put all terrain tires on it for the first time ever because I was getting into mushy areas after big rains.

anytime I need that full cargo space though, its all still there and that has always been a priority for sure even though its not often I need it.
'87 GMC Safari Explorer
multimoto
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby Hangar18 [OP] » June 1st 2018, 10:27pm

See ya'll Monday..headed out for the annual family weekend :driving:
20180601_155545.jpg
toys
'99 Safari LS Ext(sold)
Original Poster [OP]
Hangar18
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Hangar18 [OP] » June 5th 2018, 5:03am

And the first successful road trip is in the bag. I did about 300 miles with trailer in tow and she did pretty well I thought. Only got hot on me once when I was trying to pass an obviously sleepy trucker up a long hill. My cruise did quit working on me about halfway through the first leg, just wrote it off and kept goin. I'll deal with that soon. The transmission did great, really happy about that after the line-fail. Trans cooler seems to be helping so that's good. Talk about a break-in run...towing a trailer..hilly 2 lane highways..about fifty miles of crazy Friday evening Interstate(some under construction/repair...I don't think I missed a pot hole :screaming: ) and then more hilly country highways. I was like ok, if it's gonna break this will do it. I have to say for as stiff as my front end is, it handled it well. I don't like how squishy the rear is though. gonna have to make some adjustments/changes(definitely a rear sway-bar). Also noticed that under compression in a tight turn, my front tires will tick the backs of the wells, so I'll trim and beat on those some more. The new dizzy and spider have made all the difference in the world...starting every time and running very well. :thumbup:

And my dad had one of these lying around(off his 2012 Wrangler)
20180603_143447.jpg
so that was a nice little present. Think I'll get an extra set of crushmounts and see what I think about it.
All in all a great visit with the family and a good first run...really digging having my van back. see ya's soon
'99 Safari LS Ext(sold)
Original Poster [OP]
Hangar18
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby WinnieVan » June 5th 2018, 6:05am

Noice!!! Jeep Bumper is nice but if I knew how to weld I’d make a custom job for sure.

Glad she did well for ya :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Previous