Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

The CamAstro or ASTROC not sure yet...build thread

12K views 89 replies 19 participants last post by  WinnieVan 
#1 ·
Well... here's my plan
I have an '04 Astro Cargo AWD that's been sitting a while. Decided to get her goin again. So first things first...she'll get an initial going through...a lot of cleaning and
maintenance repairs...a 7in JOR high lift, new shocks, tires and 17in wheels. Maybe a few cosmetic improvements, just to get her back on her feet with a new attitude.

Ultimately, my intentions are to Frankenstein her with my sons' wrecked '93 IROC(305cui TPI)..body and frame are trashed but the drive train and systems are fine just need a lot of going through since its been sitting for a few years. I've not seen anyone do a TPI swap, is there a reason for that? Just looking at them I think this is more
than doable. Am I crazy? any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'm not looking to build a Monster Truck, although it may end up there. The cool thing is I have 90+%
of the parts I'll need. I know the TPI motor has the high-rise intake(runners) but I think the lift will solve the clearance problem. I like the way the TB feeds from the front
and will look awesome in the Astro. I have a 4L60e trans(newly rebuilt) only about 5k on it...don't think there should be a mating problem since the TPI is a SBC.

Those are my thoughts in a nutshell...we'll see how it goes...wish me luck... this is gonna be fun!

This is where she sits now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is what my van looks like with a DIY 7 inch lift on 31's. It didn't have a LS v8 in this picture... but it does now! Personally, a 305 hardly seems worth all of the effort, but hey, if you got it laying around and your bored then go for it.

#3 ·
by TurnNburn » 6 minutes ago
Here is what my van looks like with a DIY 7 inch lift on 31's. It didn't have a LS v8 in this picture... but it does now! Personally, a 305 hardly seems worth all of the effort, but hey, if you got it laying around and your bored then go for it.

Nice, kind of what I'm after not too crazy...and again its free gear and I can always buy an LS if I don't like it. :)

#6 ·
My brakes were all rusty from sitting for a year so I scrubbed all of that and had my discs turned...while that was being done I flipped my upper ball joints and started the under coat process.

Attachments

#7 ·
Right on. Whatever works for you. Good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

And I can tell ya from experience, the LS doesn't just bolt up

PS... you can edit your posts for up to 24 hours. So there is really no need to have 5 posts for what can be fit into one

#10 ·
bought some used '07 Silverado rims and caps with crappy tires for $100 and found some 95% new BFG KO2's(254/75/r17) for $300...gotta love Craigslist. They come out
to 31.5s

Attachments

#13 ·
Im considering a 305 swap on my RWD because I have one.its carbureted though but my plan is to go TBI on whatever smallblock I use because it has been 100% reliable on the 4.3 for +340k miles.

Ive been reading lots about the 305 lately and they have good torque (same crank as a 350 but smaller bore)

if you have one laying around I would definitely use it. I did see at least one TPI smallblock on here while looking through all the galleries but dont recall if it was lifted.

I dig the cargo vans and the cargo doors. yours is gonna be sweet!

#15 ·
trimmed my fan shroud and bumper painted the bumper, apron and stock rims(will put second set of tires on those just to see if I like em)

Attachments

#16 ·
Thanks Multimoto..yep lots of torque with TPI I'm not looking for fast.

And this where I am atm..lift kit on the way ...just need shocks, trim the wells and maybe some spacers depending how my wheels fall in..and she'll be back on her feet.

Going next week to retrieve the IROC and start the strip process...woot!

#17 ·
TurnNburn said:
Right on. Whatever works for you. Good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

And I can tell ya from experience, the LS doesn't just bolt up

PS... you can edit your posts for up to 24 hours. So there is really no need to have 5 posts for what can be fit into one
I'm not sure anything ever just bolts up..but wth...still learning the posting thing noob what can I say :D

#18 ·
You're going to want to use the engine harness and ECU with your swap. At this point in time, I don't know what you're going to need from the van side as far as electrical. This is going to be where others who have done the V8 swap will have to help you out. I'm not at all familiar with the newer vans, as the newest 1 I own is a 1990.

#21 ·
The TPI has been done in the past its just not done much now since the cars TPI engines came in are few and far between now. There is a guy in this forum by the name of mr_roboto he has that same set up in one of his vans but he is in need of a bracket or something. not sure if he broke one or if he was just missing one though. I once bought one of them engines for cheap but I only used the block and internals for my van because I did not have the harness or ecm.

#23 ·
Well I got a few more days in on the Astro. The JOR lift showed up and my spacers so I figured I'd start to tackle some of that. Time to get some more Ugly out from
under my truck. Removed the rear bumper and hitch and dug in...undercoating tight spots along the way, like where the fuel cell sits and shackle and hanger ports.
I still have my original exhaust and man is that tight at the right rear hanger.. had to do some finagling to get that leaf in. Gonna have to get the heated and bent out of the way or I may just cut it...getting duals anyway so really doesn't matter. Going through now and checking for things that may bind or pull during the front lift(wiring, e-brake cable/hanger, trans lines, etc.)

I'm sure some of u guys are gonna give me grief about my spacers. I want a wide stance on the tires while maintaining use of my Chevy rims...first I did 2in then
added 2 more. I love the stance with 4in but discovered that my sliding door wouldn't open :dunce: So I may try 3in..I think it will rub but open.. we'll see. :whack: :nono:

Next step..front lift, gonna order some new sub-frame bushings before I do the front so that gives me a minuet to tidy some stuff up. I'm really digging it so far and she's cleaning up nice. And again that's where I am atm...more to come

Attachments

#24 ·
You might want to check the laws in your state - having the wheels stick out from the fenders is actually illegal in MD. You must have fenders - or fender extensions - that cover the wheels here.

Just a thought because I don't believe MD is the only state with that law.

#26 ·
If you plan on doing any off roading those spacers may just be more unsafe then you may know. Not only does it put way to much weight on those 5 or 6 lug studs but it also puts a ton of unsprung weight on the spindles, axles and so on. By the way Maine, Mass, NH and vermont its illegal for the tires to stick out beyond the fender unless as Leeann said they have to be covered with fender extensions or something. In many states those spacers are illegal due to them being unsafe too. Be careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.