1987 Chevy Astro Aerolite RV custom restoration.

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 1987 Chevy Astro Aerolite RV custom restoration.

Postby zool [OP] » September 2nd 2018, 2:12am

Not a problem for the pics guys, ill get some better shots when I pull it back out of the booth.

90safari, there are 2 adjustable air bladders in addition to the shocks....they seem to be ok, so ill leave them as but replace the shocks while its all open.
Im assuming that the rectangle gas tank is not astro, but aftermarket?...I was planning to replace the sensing unit and pump while its exposed...so i guess ill have to figure out whats in there to find a replacement.

Planning to replace all the fuel lines along the frame too, and whatever else looks suspect. Then coat all the framing, ect with either a POR15 or another rust encapsulation product, maybe from Eastwood.

Im making it all up as I go along,so any suggestions are welcome ;)
Original Poster [OP]
zool
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: zool has been a member for 2 full yearszool has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1987
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Aerolite Motorhome

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1987 Astro Quigley v-8 build
    by Kps396 » December 5th 2020, 2:55pm in Projects/Builds
    38 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    January 31st 2021, 9:40pm
  • 96 Astro in Seattle
    by rozmpatterson » October 26th 2020, 6:52pm in Projects/Builds
    3 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    October 31st 2020, 4:43pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 21st 2021, 12:19am

Postby 90safari » September 2nd 2018, 7:37pm

Yeah, that tank isn't a stock Astro part.
For coating the frame rail and other steel in the floor (or sides and roof frame) I'd go with Master Series. To use it, you wire brush the metal (or even sandblast if you want), blow off the dust, and just brush it on. Go to http://www.MasterSeriesCT.com for more info on it. Chuck is a good guy to work with, and he ships promptly. I've used it before on a Chevy truck frame, and after 6 years it's still holding up great, even after going thru several Michigan winters. 8-) I just recommend you use old clothes, and rubber gloves, as that stuff stays put for weeks on your skin, and nothing seems to take it off. :o I've still got a spot on my garage floor where I had some drip onto it. It's still stuck there.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby zool [OP] » September 4th 2018, 1:33am

Ok Safari, u talked me into it :D

Ive used Por15 and Eastwood, but never that.....So I ordered a full kit of the sealer and black coating, 2 part.

I also have some extreme chassi black on the shelf to use on the top rails if needed.

Ill post an update after I clean up all the metal and weld some weak areas and add some extra supports.
Original Poster [OP]
zool
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: zool has been a member for 2 full yearszool has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1987
Extra Info: Aerolite Motorhome

Postby Brewtus » August 22nd 2020, 2:06am

zool wrote:...we started removing the floor and found that its fastened not only from the top, but screwed in from the bottom too, and under some systems, so we removed the 2 waste holding tanks and pump out, and all the wires and lp lines are screwed into the bottom with c-clamps and rusted screws...

Hey Zool,

Thank you for posting all of your photos. Vivian and I are are currently about to tear the floor out of our Aerolite and your information here is really helpful! Have you made any more progress on your Aerolite? I notice it has been a while since you've updated this thread!

Warmly,
Dylan
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Brewtus has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Vivian & Dylan
Van Model Year: 1986
Extra Info: 1987 Aerolite Resto.

Previous