Chupathingy (2000 RWD Astro)

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Chupathingy (2000 RWD Astro)

Postby theotherandy [OP] » January 22nd 2012, 1:07am

Hey all!

I suppose it's time to start a thread just for Chupathingy. A little background:

The van was originally bought by my parents to replace a '92 Safari that had been good to us. In fact that van became mine, and was the van I had when I originally joined the site. I ended up trading that van in. Rust and age was doing that van in.

Anywho, enter the van I call Chupathingy (the name comes from this: http://youtu.be/_yq_0KuXu64 ). It was the family van for many years, even after I and my brother had moved out. Unfortunately, it was getting old and developing problems. My parents replaced it with something that gets better mileage, and the van sat unused for half a year or so. Well, I ended up borrowing it quite a few times (it's such a useful vehicle) during that time. One day my parents were talking about getting rid of the van. With only 185,000 miles on the clock, I knew it had some good life left in it so I offered to take it rather than see it end up in a junkyard.

This is how it looked when I got it late last year:
The bumper cover had been broken when the van slid into a snowbank.

I took it off, and removed the bumper stickers.

Since then, I've put two new cheap tires on temporarily. I also ended up using a wheel I had leftover from my old van, as one of the wheels on the van had rusted to the point where it was leaking air. A few weeks ago I replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. The van now starts in all weather conditions, and runs quite well.

Yesterday I found a guy selling some aftermarket wheels for $100. Since two of my wheels were still leaking, and mismatched, I jumped on it. Picked them up and installed them today.

More to come.
2000 Chevrolet Astro LS RWD, 3.23
Original Poster [OP]
theotherandy
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: theotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): He Named Thor
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • "B-Team" 2000 RWD Astro for Gambler 500
    by Jon Conrad » February 16th 2021, 7:53am in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by tungtide View the latest post
    February 16th 2021, 10:56pm
  • Rorge Astro 2000 cargo build
    by rorgeastro » December 2nd 2020, 7:36am in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by rorgeastro View the latest post
    December 22nd 2020, 11:10pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 25th 2021, 6:10pm

Re: Chupathingy (2000 RWD Astro)

Postby paintdrying » January 22nd 2012, 7:11pm

Nice van bro. Good save
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby 88astroLT » January 22nd 2012, 7:40pm

Nice Van! Are those new rims alloys or steel? They look kinda like the first gen Astro/Safari Rally wheels painted black.
88 Astro LT RWD 343k+ 3.23
97 Safari SLE RWD 143k+ 3.42 Limited Slip
88astroLT
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 88astroLT has been a member for 10 full years88astroLT has been a member for 10 full years88astroLT has been a member for 10 full years88astroLT has been a member for 10 full years88astroLT has been a member for 10 full years88astroLT has been a member for 10 full years88astroLT has been a member for 10 full years88astroLT has been a member for 10 full years88astroLT has been a member for 10 full years88astroLT has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby theotherandy [OP] » January 23rd 2012, 1:55am

They are steel. They do look very similar, but are wider and come with those awesome center caps. I need to get some big chrome lugnuts.

Still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with this truck, aside from getting rid of the tape lines, fixing the rust, replacing the gaskets and various front end components, and finding a chrome rear bumper. Should I lift it? It's 2wd. I do love the look of the Goodyear Wranglers, and I have access to a farm to play around in. Or I could drop it, put some Radial T/As on it. That'd be cool too.

I'll have to think about it. I am seriously considering an Olive Drab green paint job though either way.
2000 Chevrolet Astro LS RWD, 3.23
Original Poster [OP]
theotherandy
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: theotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full yearstheotherandy has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): He Named Thor
Extra Info: RWD

Postby JoeJITSU » November 9th 2012, 10:13pm

theotherandy wrote:They are steel. They do look very similar, but are wider and come with those awesome center caps. I need to get some big chrome lugnuts.

Still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with this truck, aside from getting rid of the tape lines, fixing the rust, replacing the gaskets and various front end components, and finding a chrome rear bumper. Should I lift it? It's 2wd. I do love the look of the Goodyear Wranglers, and I have access to a farm to play around in. Or I could drop it, put some Radial T/As on it. That'd be cool too.

I'll have to think about it. I am seriously considering an Olive Drab green paint job though either way.

Olive Drab is nice. My wife decided to go with it like almost 3 years ago and it still looks in Brand New condition
Wifes Van (yes her idea)
JoeJITSU
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: JoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): JoeJITSU

Postby Bread Van » November 13th 2012, 4:13pm

Good score. Pick up a front bumper cover (junkyard or even RockAuto had them unpainted rather reasonably priced, I think) and cruise that thing.

I love the van in cold weather, like a nice warm living room. Used to live in SE WI so I know how it gets Up North! Oh yeah, keep an eye on rust issues because I know how all that salt treats WI vehicles...and I don't miss that part!
Bread Van
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Bread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA): mapper
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch lift